Apogee Groove Dac / Headphone Amp
Sep 9, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #286 of 361
If Groove manage to drive HD800s? 

Yes, it will.
But, I think you'll want to seriously start saving your pennies for the next setup, a desktop setup, after purchase of the Groove.

Sep 9, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #287 of 361
Yes, it will.
But, I think you'll want to seriously start saving your pennies for the next setup, a desktop setup, after purchase of the Groove.

Or save your pennies to buy a Chord Mojo which can drive the HD800s, is still portable, and sounds better than many more expensive desktop setups.

My Groove has been unused since I got my Mojo. Between my Mojo and my DragonFly Black (for when I want something more portal to use with my iPhone), my desire for headphone DACs & amps is assuaged.

Sep 9, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #288 of 361
^ I agree, and note where it sits in my signature :D

But I think it is beyond the budget of the person, today. He was looking to buy something immediately (he posted more information in a couple of other threads), so he can use his HD800S.

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #291 of 361
Have been using the HD650 with the Groove for about 2-3 weeks.  Very happy however I don't have anything really to compare it to.  I just purchased the HD800S so I can do a direct comparison when the new headphones come in.  I will still keep the Apogee Groove however just for the fact that it is so small and portable and easy to use.  Honestly its a great little device that has the great simple "just works" feeling from an apple device, which I love.

Great purchase and Im very happy.

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #296 of 361
From Apogee's knowledge base:

"Apogee does not recommend the Apogee Groove for use with multi-driver balanced armature in-ear monitors. Due to the design of the balanced armature drivers and crossover networks used in this type of headphone, the Groove’s Constant Current Drive amplifier technology may result in uneven frequency response when used with certain models."

I've tried it myself with SE425 and SE846 IEMs and indeed the frequency response is very uneven, with the drivers being driven at different levels.

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #297 of 361
  From Apogee's knowledge base:

"Apogee does not recommend the Apogee Groove for use with multi-driver balanced armature in-ear monitors. Due to the design of the balanced armature drivers and crossover networks used in this type of headphone, the Groove’s Constant Current Drive amplifier technology may result in uneven frequency response when used with certain models."

I've tried it myself with SE425 and SE846 IEMs and indeed the frequency response is very uneven, with the drivers being driven at different levels.

​hmmm curious.  to me that sounds like an impedance thing.  ive noticed that adding impedance is usually beneficial but to things with a crossover there can be wild sound changes.  still ive never before seen a company specifically say, don't use this product with IEM's with crossovers. 

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #299 of 361
Got my HD800S earlier today, can confirm that the Apogee Groove does indeed drive them fine.  They sound fantastic.  Im sure it is not a perfect pairing, but its a great portable solution.  I think the best part about the Groove is that its super sleek and compact (unlike the chord mojo), plug and play, and only has 2 buttons.  Simple and just works.  I love it.  Still my favorite HiFi purchase.

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #300 of 361
  Got my HD800S earlier today, can confirm that the Apogee Groove does indeed drive them fine.  They sound fantastic.  Im sure it is not a perfect pairing, but its a great portable solution.  I think the best part about the Groove is that its super sleek and compact (unlike the chord mojo), plug and play, and only has 2 buttons.  Simple and just works.  I love it.  Still my favorite HiFi purchase.

​what is your protable set up, just I noticed they say it isn't usbotg compatable and I assume youre not carrying a laptop in your pocket?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back