Apex Peak/Volcano Review
Aug 1, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #287 of 415
If I was buying new, I would actually be most interested in the Arete/Volcano.  If it sounds like the Peak but a fixed, no issues, tube that jives with the LCD-3... that's a win.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #288 of 415
Quote:
If I was buying new, I would actually be most interested in the Arete/Volcano.  If it sounds like the Peak but a fixed, no issues, tube that jives with the LCD-3... that's a win.

Based on the power numbers of the Arete, not sure what you'd gain over the GS-1? Just different flavour....or maybe that's not the best term as the GS-1 has no real flavour...just lets what's upstream flow through.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #289 of 415
Quote:

Alan, who was one of the first to get this amp (and the Arete) told me they're both good, but the Peak is ultimately the better of the two with the right tubes. If you want a sound close to the Peak's without any of the hassle, it'd be a good choice.
I really think, though, that you just got bad cookie. Most of the owners I know, including me, didn't have such problems.

(I don't have an opinion of my own of the Arete's SQ BTW, never heard it).

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #290 of 415
Quote:

Based on the power numbers of the Arete, not sure what you'd gain over the GS-1? Just different flavour....or maybe that's not the best term as the GS-1 has no real flavour...just lets what's upstream flow through.

I don't know about the Arete, but the Peak sounds very different from the Gilmore amps. More mid-centric and liquid, with a larger soundstage presentation.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #291 of 415
Quote:

I don't know about the Arete, but the Peak sounds very different from the Gilmore amps. More mid-centric and liquid, with a larger soundstage presentation.

I can see someone picking up the Peak, but the Arete seems to have 25% less power than the GS-1. Transparency and holographic imaging on the GS-1 is truly amazing.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #292 of 415
Something to be said about total power and usable power.  The GS-1 is rated to 1W but is biased 60mA I believe.  The Peak runs hot, as hot as the B22.  I'd love for an Arete to pop on the For Sale.  Same output and power supply just the tube replaced by a JFET.

For a more concrete example of what is happening with both tubes I have watch this.

http://youtu.be/205__gxWJc8?t=5m

At 5:06 when he hits the tube with his finger, that's the sound I get.  WHEN THERE IS AN IMPACT :wink:

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #293 of 415
I'm starting to get some microphonics with my Shuguang BT as well. I just hear it if I tap the amp so it's not a real problem since the amp is in a rack. Have you tried isolating your amp from the desk? Some isonodes or something similar placed under it might help quite a bit. 

Quote:

At 5:06 when he hits the tube with his finger, that's the sound I get.  WHEN THERE IS AN IMPACT :wink:

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #294 of 415
I'm interested in buying a tube amp new.  My choices are the Peak/Volcano, LF and the Balancing Act.  I've seen comparisons of the LF to the Peak, but nowhere do I see any comparisons to the Balancing Act.  Are there any?

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #295 of 415
From PMs the BA trades some clarity and micro detail for drive/engagement and power.  I imagine tube choices can skew final results.  Oh and the BA is 2x the price and size :wink:

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #297 of 415
I'd love to hear one and its so over-built that I just want to hug it :D  If I was in the market for the EC 2A3, DNA Strat or WA5LE, I wouldn't even blink... WA5LE.  This assumes you have the room for it.  I'd also want to ask Jack if he could rework it to have a higher output for headphones than it was when introduced when the HD650 ruled the world.  Some have felt the WA5 was not great value with the orthos but brilliant with the HD800 and other high impedance cans.

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #298 of 415
Yeah I'm kinda vain. EC and DNA amps don't look nice to me. I don't have any crazy orthos so it might be ok for me... Well no LCD-3 yet. I have plenty of space for any of the amps. My gear doesn't go on the desk :D. The WA5 doesn't have much power compared to many amps.

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #299 of 415
It does, but its purposely reduced.  If you look at the WA5 it can put out 8W.  This is why I'd want to ask Jack to 'unleash it' so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back