Anyone using Arcam irDAC & what do you think of it?
Sep 26, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #46 of 134
I love this DAC. Previously I was pairing the Modi 2 Uber with my Gustard H10 and found the sound to be too analytical and bright with my HE-560s. The slight warmth and full, detailed sound from the Arcam has solved that and I couldn't be happier, particularly at the eBay price.

Sep 27, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #48 of 134
Is there a way to get it to work with an ipod classic?

There are two USB input on the back. One is for connection to a computer, via the standard USB cable (standard A on the computer end and standard B on the DAC). The other USB connection is for use with an Apple device. And iPod classic should work just as well as a new iPad or iPhone. I have an old iPod, with the old 30-pin dock connector on the iPod side. I will try this, later this week, and try my new iPhone with the lightning connector.

Both (iPod Classic and recent iPhone) should work!

Sep 27, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #49 of 134
This DAC has received universal praise. Why did they quit making it? Have they made a successor product?

Sep 27, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #50 of 134
This DAC has received universal praise. Why did they quit making it? Have they made a successor product?

In that case, the discount would make sense. Thanks for the information!

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #52 of 134
They state specifically that the ipod classic does not work with it. However, I'm assuming since this is head fi someone may have figured it out.

Sorry to hear that. I will be trying a 4th generation Nano. But I'm not technically savvy enough to tell you if it works, why it works and the iPod Classic does not. I know there was a significant difference between the FireWire and the USB versions of the iPod. But the only other change I am aware of was between iPhone and iPod. I had a connector in my car, which worked on all my iPods and would not work on my iPhone 4. The 32-pin connector in my car would also not charge my iPod Nano, which was cumbersome - needing to remember to charge it on occasion was a chore.

You might also be able to trick it by using the connector, which is intended for the computer. I can try that too, by passing it through a USB hub or USB power source. Though I think that might only work for the iPhone.

Sep 28, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #53 of 134
Guys, do you know whether the irDAC remote can control Arcam's old amplifiers volume, in the manual it says that "The volume (+ and –) and mute (@) buttons control any Arcam amplifier."
I wonder if it will control Arcam's A85...

Sep 28, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #54 of 134
Hi guys I just wanted to add that I got an irdac which replaced my Emotiva Stealth dc-1 and I have to say there is a night and day difference.  I love the irdac.  It has a warmer sound which I prefer but doesn't loose any detail.  I have the irdac paired with a Schiit Ragnarok and a pair of Audeze LCD-3f.  The Emotiva sounded more clinical and cold and to be honest the Emotiva introduced a slight distortion which I thought was due to there gain settings.  I contacted Emotiva and they weren't very helpful.  I have had many nice dacs.  In my main system, I am using the Schiit Yggdrasil for two channel listening.  I have to say I actually prefer the warmer sound signature of the Arcam.  I'm actually considering selling my Ygg to replace with another irdac.  That's how much I am impressed and enjoy the sound.  I used to be a skeptic when it came to DACS.  DACS, amps, preamps are not really supposed to change sound but they do in subtle ways such as darker or more cold etc.  I highly recommend the Arcam.  

Oct 7, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #55 of 134
Just yesterday I met up with a friend to pass him some excess cables that I have but no longer use.

Saw a small black box on his desktop and got quite excited cos I recognized it as the irDAC which I've always been interested in trying out.

I'm not sure exactly how old his unit was but I do believe it was only a couple of weeks since he bought it and with not much playing time since he's been really busy recently.

I tried it with my Portaphile 627X, which I've used quite a bit for both portable and desktop listening, and the sound was quite something.

It didn't take me more than half a minute to recognize that this was the best DAC I've heard so far (maybe the Gungnir as well but that was ages ago so I can't remember how it stacks up).

It helped that he has several tracks on his PC that are my favs so I'm pretty sure of what I was hearing. One caveat though was that he was powering it with an LPS so I've no idea how much it contributed to the sound.

On to specifics, it's a really lush sounding DAC. Soundstage is perhaps not the widest, but the depth and layering is excellent. The overall presentation is quite aggressive and upfront, but I do believe the bass and treble are very slightly rolled-off in a way which makes listening non-fatiguing at all. The level of detail, clarity and transparency is certainly very impressive, particularly because it is a rather warm sounding amp, and most of the warm-ish amps in my experience aren't the best in those regards.

Not sure how I'd fair in a blind test with other DACs but I'm quite confident I'd be able to identify the irDAC consistently.

Comparing to the next best DAC which sound I can remember, the Uberfrost (which coincidentally also belonged to the same friend), the irDAC was slightly better in every regard I can think of.

I think I've just found a reason to visit him one more time. Not sure what's the optimal burn in time of the unit, but I'm more than curious to hear how much better it can sound, if at all.

For $799 USD it'd definitely be good value. I see some used units online floating at the $400-500 range and that to me is tremendous value. I could only wish I would be able to afford it, but alas age and health make it not the case. Perhaps in the future when I can reinvest more in this hobby.

Oh yes and I forgot to mention it input was USB. Not sure what cable he was using but it wasn't stock.

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #56 of 134
Just yesterday I met up with a friend to pass him some excess cables that I have but no longer use.

Saw a small black box on his desktop and got quite excited cos I recognized it as the irDAC which I've always been interested in trying out.

I'm not sure exactly how old his unit was but I do believe it was only a couple of weeks since he bought it and with not much playing time since he's been really busy recently.

I tried it with my Portaphile 627X, which I've used quite a bit for both portable and desktop listening, and the sound was quite something.

It didn't take me more than half a minute to recognize that this was the best DAC I've heard so far (maybe the Gungnir as well but that was ages ago so I can't remember how it stacks up).

It helped that he has several tracks on his PC that are my favs so I'm pretty sure of what I was hearing. One caveat though was that he was powering it with an LPS so I've no idea how much it contributed to the sound.

On to specifics, it's a really lush sounding DAC. Soundstage is perhaps not the widest, but the depth and layering is excellent. The overall presentation is quite aggressive and upfront, but I do believe the bass and treble are very slightly rolled-off in a way which makes listening non-fatiguing at all. The level of detail, clarity and transparency is certainly very impressive, particularly because it is a rather warm sounding amp, and most of the warm-ish amps in my experience aren't the best in those regards.

Not sure how I'd fair in a blind test with other DACs but I'm quite confident I'd be able to identify the irDAC consistently.

Comparing to the next best DAC which sound I can remember, the Uberfrost (which coincidentally also belonged to the same friend), the irDAC was slightly better in every regard I can think of.

I think I've just found a reason to visit him one more time. Not sure what's the optimal burn in time of the unit, but I'm more than curious to hear how much better it can sound, if at all.

For $799 USD it'd definitely be good value. I see some used units online floating at the $400-500 range and that to me is tremendous value. I could only wish I would be able to afford it, but alas age and health make it not the case. Perhaps in the future when I can reinvest more in this hobby.

Oh yes and I forgot to mention it input was USB. Not sure what cable he was using but it wasn't stock.

Highlighted a few points from your post. It was compared to the original Gungnir and found to sound identical. The irDAC was in a DAC comparison back in 2012, and found to sound identical to a lot of DAC in the $500 - $2000 price range. I think most DAC, after a certain price point, are non-fatiguiging. But I still think the details are there in both the bass and the highs. So I agree - sounds fantastic and certainly better than the Uberfrost. I plan to compare against Bifrost Multibit shortly.

Burn-in should be about a day. I did not hear any improvements beyond 24 hours - and just leave it on so you don't have to be concerned with any warm-up time. Perhaps don't leave it on all the time, but at least the day before you plan to listen, so there are no concerns. And I still see it on eBay, import from Italy, for $409 in US dollars. If that's in your price range, go for it! As you said, it's a great DAC.

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #57 of 134
Highlighted a few points from your post. It was compared to the original Gungnir and found to sound identical. The irDAC was in a DAC comparison back in 2012, and found to sound identical to a lot of DAC in the $500 - $2000 price range. I think most DAC, after a certain price point, are non-fatiguiging. But I still think the details are there in both the bass and the highs. So I agree - sounds fantastic and certainly better than the Uberfrost. I plan to compare against Bifrost Multibit shortly.

Burn-in should be about a day. I did not hear any improvements beyond 24 hours - and just leave it on so you don't have to be concerned with any warm-up time. Perhaps don't leave it on all the time, but at least the day before you plan to listen, so there are no concerns. And I still see it on eBay, import from Italy, for $409 in US dollars. If that's in your price range, go for it! As you said, it's a great DAC.

Looking forward to the comparison to the Bifrost Multibit

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #58 of 134
Looking forward to the comparison to the Bifrost Multibit

I had unsubscribed (sold both my Bifrost Multibit and Arcam irDAC), but just peeking back in to see how this thread was doing 
wink_face.gif

They are quite comparable! Both are excellent values, in my opinion! The irDAC still has the edge in terms of soundstage and dynamics. The Bifrost with Multibit upgrade has the edge in terms of sonic signature and realism - you feel as if you are truly listening to a violin, with realistic texture to the bowing and fingering sounds. Between the two, and assuming cost of Bifrost is $599 and cost of irDAC is $409, my pick is for the soundstage of the irDAC. I like its big soundstage, but without the harshness I've heard from other DAC implementations, such as the Oppo BDP-105.

If however they sold at the original MSRP, it's a tough call - is the irDAC worth $100 more than the Bifrost Multibit? And don't forget that the Bifrost is not a end of life DAC - it'll continue to get future upgrades. For the around the same cost, I'd have to side with the Bifrost, and its future upgrade option. Today though, I think you could be happy with either one 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back