Anyone use your cans for movies?
Aug 11, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #16 of 39

Quote:
yea,that's probably most annoying part about lot of horror films is the insanely loud noises. they seriously do not know how to even out the loudness on lot of movies. the music or sound effects is always much louder and kills my ears than the volume range of the vocals. they need to get some better sound engineers to do some of these films. i hate it with tv commercials as well.

They design them for the most common listening. That would be in a theater and on a television with weak rendering ability.

Even most music is recorded in a fashion that best suits loud speakers, not headphones.

Very best,

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #17 of 39
They design them for the most common listening. That would be in a theater and on a television with weak rendering ability.

Even most music is recorded in a fashion that best suits loud speakers, not headphones.

Very best,

you are right but it's even noticeable on a basic tv set as well and can be annoying sometimes. just using headphones due to speakers being closer to the ears it becomes much more noticeable compared to speakers or tv sets.

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #18 of 39

Quote:
you are right but it's even noticeable on a basic tv set as well and can be annoying sometimes. just using headphones due to speakers being closer to the ears it becomes much more noticeable compared to speakers or tv sets.

I watch a lot of old horror stuff too. They heavily relied on audio, since visuals were usually just whatever. There's a lot of psychology behind how and why certain sounds inspire anticipation. We confuse it with fear often. But I love me some old films where you listen, it builds, you know something is about to go down. It sounds so good too when it's a good recording. It's about the same as listening to some good beats and waiting for the drop. It's all about building anticipation and then delivering something that rustles your jimmies. Hah.

Very best,

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #19 of 39
I once tried the LCD-2 with Call of duty, it was fatigue in a good way lol 

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #21 of 39
I use mine for movies, Why wouldn't you?, For me half the point of the movie is big powerful sound, Crank that Sub style, I find my IE8's amazing for movies with the bass on max.

Nat

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #22 of 39

Quote:
I use mine for movies, Why wouldn't you?, For me half the point of the movie is big powerful sound, Crank that Sub style, I find my IE8's amazing for movies with the bass on max.

Nat

It's true.

I have a huge home theater system with a beasty sub. But I rarely use it because frankly, it's too disturbing to other people in the house and neighbors (condo). During the day, whatever, I let them riot, they can't call the cops `till 10pm. But after that, oh yes, headphones. Boom Boom. Haha.

Very best,

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #23 of 39

Quote:
I watch a lot of old horror stuff too. They heavily relied on audio, since visuals were usually just whatever. There's a lot of psychology behind how and why certain sounds inspire anticipation. We confuse it with fear often. But I love me some old films where you listen, it builds, you know something is about to go down. It sounds so good too when it's a good recording. It's about the same as listening to some good beats and waiting for the drop. It's all about building anticipation and then delivering something that rustles your jimmies. Hah.

Very best,

I am actually about to finish my audio engineering degree, and plan to head into the post-production (movies/tv etc) side of things rather than music. This is very true. Try and watch a horror movie with no sound.. you can't. There's just no emotion or suspense without it. You actually get a better feel for emotion and suspense with just sound more so than just video haha.

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #24 of 39
I'm of two minds about this.  My wife and I often have to watch movies with headphones will the toddler is asleep, so I'm definitely familiar with the experience, too.  I do love the detail, as well as the dialogue clarity, which is never quite fully there with 5.1 speakers with most movie mixes.  Currently, my XB-1000 and MDR-F1 are my preferred movie headphones.  The MDR-F1 is truly uncanny with some film tracks.

That said, a nicely set up full surround system can do some awesome things that headphones can't.  I've had moments where I couldn't tell whether something was coming from the movie with my speakers, too, and a sub and tactile transducer can give a bass punch that headphones will physically never be able to accomplish.  My wife and I also miss being able to talk about what we're watching--movies can be a good social experience, too, after all.

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #25 of 39
Only when I really have to. To be honest headphones pale in comparison to any decent loudspeaker setups for movie watching.

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #26 of 39

Quote:
Only when I really have to. To be honest headphones pale in comparison to any decent loudspeaker setups for movie watching.

Time of day matters depending on where you live.
bigsmile_face.gif

I've had the cops called.

Very best,

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #28 of 39
My full size headphones get more time doing movies/tv/anime and similar stuff than music.

That's actually the reason I started on Head-Fi.  My SE530s which I already had and used for music (and mostly at work or on the go) didn't cut it with movies because even with HRTF DSPs their soundstage wasn't deep enough and I wanted something better than the so-so speakers I'd been using.

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #29 of 39
I will if I have to. I live in an apartment in a building built in the 1800's. Hardwood floors, 15 foot ceilings - they are giant resonators. I have an arrangement with the girl below in which she lets me know when shes gone. There is nothing like busting the 5.1 for a well mixed movie.

Movies generally have a pretty big dynamic range, so you need to turn it way up to hear the subtle stuff and soft dialogue. Headphones let you hear those without bothering the neighbors or family.

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #30 of 39
I've been watching movies as much as possible now that I have some 880s. The detail is incredible, some sounds have space and texture. I was watching Tombstone the other day and found myself fixated on the score for each scene, amazing work. I'm re-watching Ink right now. Its on Netflix for those who haven't seen it, great movie. I've ordered some D7000s and they can't come fast enough...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back