anyone tried the leckerton amps with the opa 627?
Aug 28, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #17 of 39

Quote:
leckerton said it was less bright.

less bright than what?  the 8610?  Maybe but the 8610 isn't flat IMO.  That's not a reference opamp in this implementation.  There is difference between roll off and peaks.  Then again I'm going by ears and my gear.  If there's a graph I'd like to see it.  Any more treble than I already get would not be accurate to my ears.

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #19 of 39
Maybe, I never felt the 209 lacking in treble w/ my setup (UERM) when ABing w/ the 8610.  I consider the 209 neutral and analytical.  The 8610 perhaps brighter and fun.  What are you looking for in your sound exactly?  

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #20 of 39
hah the 8610 is exactly that - bright and fun.

op i've read your other thread. it looks like you're gonna get the er-4s. if so the uha-4 with the opa627 is worth looking into. it's the same set up i have and anaxilus is the one that helped me get there. he really knows his stuff, and it sounds just right with that set up - i went through having the uha-4 with the ad8610 for a month before i decided it wasn't the right synergy with the er-4s. 

the whole problem with portable amps is finding the right synergy - theoretically, the perfect portable amp shouldn't have colorations at all, but such a thing doesn't exist. imo every portable amp has a certain characteristic imparted by the maker through design. some people like to call this the maker's "house sound". add to that fact interchangeable opamps and you'll end up with eve more possibilities synergistically. at the same time, you don't want to fall into the misguided thinking/trap of trying to EQ your sound through your amp.

i think you'll have to go through the pain of trying different iems and amps to find what you'll like. the experience is a subjective one ultimately because we're dealing with an organic experience - you can cry objective all day, but we all hear, process, and interpret sound differently. personally i think it's funny to have an amp for an iem. iems are supposed to be portable, and adding amps and lods and stuff, just detracts from the whole aspect of portability. 

Quote:
Maybe, I never felt the 209 lacking in treble w/ my setup (UERM) when ABing w/ the 8610.  I consider the 209 neutral and analytical.  The 8610 perhaps brighter and fun.  What are you looking for in your sound exactly?  

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #22 of 39
who ever said you'd have decreased output with the 627 - i'm not even sure what that means. the 627 doesn't decrease the bass on the er-4 - it just doesn't add bass that wasn't there in the first place. it's very midcentric in a musically fluid and dark way - if you've heard the jds labs cmoybb, it sounds a lot like that, but less dark, has a bigger sound stage, and is clearer/detailed (whatever THAT means). if you're looking for bass, you shouldn't get the er-4 in the first place. the er-4 has many strengths, but bass is not one of them.

i have not heard the 209 so i can't tell you what it'll sound like with the er-4, but if anaxilus said the 209 doesn't mesh well with the er-4, i'd listen to him. 

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #23 of 39
The best upgrade to reduce the highs of the ER4P is either the ER4S or P>S adapter.  The comparison of the 8610 to 209 is a bit similar to comparing the ER4P to the ER4S if you can relate to that difference.  The 627 is what you want if trying to get away from that analytical Ety sound and want a richer more organic sound.  627 not recommended for treble heads.

Aug 28, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #24 of 39

Quote:
who ever said you'd have decreased output with the 627 - i'm not even sure what that means. the 627 doesn't decrease the bass on the er-4 - it just doesn't add bass that wasn't there in the first place. it's very midcentric in a musically fluid and dark way - if you've heard the jds labs cmoybb, it sounds a lot like that, but less dark, has a bigger sound stage, and is clearer/detailed (whatever THAT means). if you're looking for bass, you shouldn't get the er-4 in the first place. the er-4 has many strengths, but bass is not one of them.

i have not heard the 209 so i can't tell you what it'll sound like with the er-4, but if anaxilus said the 209 doesn't mesh well with the er-4, i'd listen to him. 

an earlier poster said that the 627 had less bass than the 8610. i'm trying to keep the bass and roll the highs down a bit.

and the ety's are what i'll be getting. there's nothing US made and cheaper that sound as good and use silicone custom tips, have 2 year warranty, block out as much sound etc...

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #25 of 39

what you are essentially trying to do requires an EQ or an amp that will provide some sort of artificial bass boost. it goes beyond the scope of the opamps we are talking about and it goes beyond your expectations of the uha-4.

the earlier poster that talked about the opa627 was ME - and i said that bass representation was lessened but that was because the amp+opamp was bringing out what i believe to be the true nature of the er-4s.

no one is telling you not to get the ety's but understand that the sound you are looking for isn't the sound you'll get with them, especially not with the uha-4. 

honestly, with the money you are willing to spend for the sound you want, it's not a bad idea to looking into the W3 or UMX3 and EQ your stuff - you'll have to sacrifice isolation the ear rapers provide, but you'll get a far more enjoyable experience.

Quote:
an earlier poster said that the 627 had less bass than the 8610. i'm trying to keep the bass and roll the highs down a bit.

and the ety's are what i'll be getting. there's nothing US made and cheaper that sound as good and use silicone custom tips, have 2 year warranty, block out as much sound etc...

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #26 of 39
He could look into just getting the ER4S w/ the ZO and tune the bass or run it in bypass.  The Arrow 4G will let you tune the treble and bass but you will have to wait for Robert to finish revising it and start shipping.  So far the ZO and Arrow have the only forms of bass boost I've found acceptable.

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #27 of 39

it was more about turning down the highs than boosting the bass. i just don't want to lessen the bass.

also, isolation is prime here, that's why i'm going with ety. (i'd consider spiral ears if they were cheaper and in the US, but they aren't).

and the arrow has no dac unfortunately. and where is it made?
Quote:
what you are essentially trying to do requires an EQ or an amp that will provide some sort of artificial bass boost. it goes beyond the scope of the opamps we are talking about and it goes beyond your expectations of the uha-4.

the earlier poster that talked about the opa627 was ME - and i said that bass representation was lessened but that was because the amp+opamp was bringing out what i believe to be the true nature of the er-4s.

no one is telling you not to get the ety's but understand that the sound you are looking for isn't the sound you'll get with them, especially not with the uha-4. 

honestly, with the money you are willing to spend for the sound you want, it's not a bad idea to looking into the W3 or UMX3 and EQ your stuff - you'll have to sacrifice isolation the ear rapers provide, but you'll get a far more enjoyable experience.

Sep 15, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #28 of 39
First of all thanks to ubercaffeinated and Anaxilus for their explanations. I'm using a Westone 4 and decided to buy UHA-4 for it. I read a lot of about it and I know some think that it doesn't benefit from amping. But I want to hear and compare them myself as I want to know what my ears are actually cabaple of. By the way I will be using with a Teclast T51 (S:flo2).

So which one of these opa would be more synergetic with W4s. As far as I undersood it would be 209. The signature of 8610 seems like it does not match with W4 signiture.
Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back