anyone tried the leckerton amps with the opa 627?
Aug 23, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 39
ive sent in my uha-4 to get that upgrade and should be getting it back late this week or early next week.

im planning on posting a review about that on the uha-4 thread...or i might even make a new one depending on how much of a difference i feel it makes.

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 39
if you are looking to drive iems, you'll have no problems.

uha-4 + opa627 is pretty transparent with with the ety er-4s. i thought it was a little darker initially, but i realized it was because the 8610 was slightly bright and I was getting used to the sound signature. the opa627 is closer to transparent i'd say (with maybe a little fluid, mellow, musicality than the 8610, but that's the sound signature I prefer). i lost some bass representation with the opa627, but i believe that's a reflection of what the er-4s is supposed to sound like rather than a reflection on the opamp. again these are are just subjective feelings, and i know there are people that say that opamps make no difference in sound, but i find that hard to believe based on my experiences. for 250 bucks, i don't think i can find another small portable amp that sounds as good as this one.

in any case, the uha-4 w/ opa627 is more than good enough in terms of what i was looking to achieve with the ety er-4s. i contemplated selling my uha-4 and er-4s for a couple of days because i got the W4, but in the end i decided to keep everything - i just can't let it go. the W4 is amazing, but the er-4s properly amped is an experience on it's own. besides, one can't have too many good iems, right? :p

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #6 of 39
Sorry to hear you actually lost bass.  I've only heard it in the UHA6S and the 627 kicked up the bass on both my ES5 (too much so) and UERM.  Must be the differences in topology or the fact the ER4S is higher impedance than my customs.  Other than that I definitely agree w/ your impressions.

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #7 of 39

Quote:
Sorry to hear you actually lost bass.  I've only heard it in the UHA6S and the 627 kicked up the bass on both my ES5 (too much so) and UERM.  Must be the differences in topology or the fact the ER4S is higher impedance than my customs.  Other than that I definitely agree w/ your impressions.

i'm not much of a bass person to begin with so it's okay. i actually think the lessened bass is reflecting what the er-4s is supposed to sound like. artificially kicked up bass is nice and fun sometimes, but for the kind of music i listen to, it's unnecessary, and actually i've heard bass boost add distortion to the low end, which is dumb. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 39

Quote:
has anyone tried the opa209AID?

Yup, that's what I ultimately chose.  Very neutral and transparent.  More resolving than the 8610.  Same opamp Jan Meier chose for the 2Stepdance.

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 39

Quote:
that's what Mr. leckerton recommended. i wonder why he doesn't use it as standard?

Tbh I think the 8610 meets a certain targeted listener who wants to be wow'd by a more 'engaging' listen.  Good clarity, brightness for detail, rounded bass for oomph.  For most it will appear as an upgrade (many times it is) but more seasoned ears will notice the slight lack of inner detail and resolution and more fuzzy imaging especially when you AB between the two.  So I think it's more of a marketing choice.  But it's great to have options. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #12 of 39
you tried both the 627 and 209 and ended up with the 209 in your uha-6? 

Quote:
Tbh I think the 8610 meets a certain targeted listener who wants to be wow'd by a more 'engaging' listen.  Good clarity, brightness for detail, rounded bass for oomph.  For most it will appear as an upgrade (many times it is) but more seasoned ears will notice the slight lack of inner detail and resolution and more fuzzy imaging especially when you AB between the two.  So I think it's more of a marketing choice.  But it's great to have options. 

Quote:
Yup, that's what I ultimately chose.  Very neutral and transparent.  More resolving than the 8610.  Same opamp Jan Meier chose for the 2Stepdance.

Aug 26, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #13 of 39

Quote:
you tried both the 627 and 209 and ended up with the 209 in your uha-6? 

Yes the 209 is a more neutral opamp in the UHA6.  The 627 wasn't right for the ES5.  Slight warmth + warmth + solid bass presence x2 = Bad combo.  The 627 was much better with the UERM but the UERM is good w/ both so it works either way.  I still have the 627 for rolling but I just use the 209 as default as I AB a lot of gear and tracks.  The 209 would not be the best match for the ER4.  Imagine how it sounded w/ the 8610 and turn that into a razorblade dissecting all your tracks.  If I want to hear the 627 w/ the UERM or HD800 I can just swap it in.  

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #15 of 39

Users who are viewing this thread

Back