Anyone mod their headphones for comfort?
Mar 21, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by null_pointer_us /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the gel pad idea. Memory foam might also work.

How much better was the gel pad than the stock headband, and what material was it?

Stock is ribbed leather (An AKG signature) i just placed it there without attaching it as I new I was going to sell them and did not want to get any sticky velcro on the band. I tried the memory foam ( I have memory foam on all my beds and pillows) but the gel was much cooler.

Mar 22, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #17 of 23
I glued pieces of velour on my DT150 earpads, in order to make them less sticky and more comfortable.

Also did I replace the stock earpads on the GMP 250 with Beyer leather pads for more comfort (and better sound).

Mar 22, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #18 of 23
I too found the 595s to be quite uncomfortable and not at all like the "received wisdom" would suggest - for me it was just pressure on the top of my head from the head band. The "fix" was simply perseverance, after a few weeks the discomfort went away. I know it's just because I got used to them because I rarely use them these days and when I do they are pretty uncomfortable. The 650s which replaced the 595s were also uncomfortable at first - far worse actually, thanks to the vice-like clamping force. I tried grinning & bearing it, wedging books between the ear pads to try and relax the clamp - it made no difference. In the end I resorted to fully extending the headband and bending the metal sections each time before wearing the 'phones. That was only needed for a couple of weeks and now they are supremely comfortable.

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by JesperZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I replaced my HFI 780's pads with velour pads.

I did it with my HFI-580s and I'm very happy.
regular_smile .gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #20 of 23
Nope. All of my headphones are stock. If I was going to mod one for comfort it would probably be the Grado RS-1. The Senn's are very comfortable for long periods. The Grado's bother my ears after a period of time. I have the stock pads on them.

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #21 of 23
Hey there guys,

Just bought some fostex t50rps and I'm thinking about mods in general. I need to get why whole new rig here before i mod anything to see if it needs it but I'm still looking.

Earlier on in the thread, someone mentioned using memory foam in headbands. this idea lead to two things. wondering what the effect would be of memory foam in some ear-pads. The other idea i had, was somewhat more maniacal 
evil_smiley.gif
. I'm not sure if your all aware of this but when you call tempurpedic, they offer to send u a packet of info for free. included in this info pack is a sample of tempur material. While not usefull for something like a pillow or mattress, this sample size could be used for material in headphone comfort mods. 

So basically you end up with the highest quality memory foam you could use in headphone pads, for free. 

Thoughts? 

Jul 13, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #22 of 23

Quote:
Hey there guys,

Just bought some fostex t50rps and I'm thinking about mods in general. I need to get why whole new rig here before i mod anything to see if it needs it but I'm still looking.

So basically you end up with the highest quality memory foam you could use in headphone pads, for free. 

Thoughts? 

Be careful.  While making changes to the headband can change the comfort significantly, those of use who have played with Beyerdynamic pads and German Maestros know something important: the pads make a massive difference in the sound.  The old pads on the T50RP are the reason people are still scared to buy them, which means that it even took Fostex a couple shots to get the pads sounding good on these cans.

The sound signature changes with pads based on at least a few factors: sound reflection, how much sound passes through, the distance of the drivers from the ears, the size of the space within the seal...

I'm not sure I'd mess with this unless you had another stock pair handy.

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #23 of 23
Thanks joelpearce,

I'm certainly aware of of the sound altering effects that earpad replacement can have on cans but i wasn't aware how strong this is with the T50RPs

How easily do the earpads come off? I ask because what I'm thinking i might do is take the stock pair right of and work from the ground up making earpads out of leather or velor to fit the headphone themselves. Ill certainly experiment with different distances and measurements before i get it perfect. 

also, since you own the T50RPs, do you know of any earpads which would fit from other headphones?

Do you know if someone has written a guide on earpad material/dimensions with regards to changing sound? 

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back