Anyone mod their headphones for comfort?
Mar 20, 2009 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

null_pointer_us

Head-Fier
Has anyone modded their headphones for comfort? e.g.

- different foam
- different/custom headband
- shoulder braces with shocks? (this is head-fi, after all
wink.gif
)

Looking at random reviews, people tend to rate my Sennheiser HD-595's as being somewhere between comfortable and very comfortable. Sadly, my experience has been quite the opposite.

Wearing them for even 30 minutes gives me a headache with a pounding sensation where the pads are (esp. on top). Plus my hair gets compressed into the shape of the pads. After a 1-2 hour gaming session, my head takes on the shape of a foam packing solution for headphones.

No, I do not have the volume too loud.
L3000.gif

They sound great, BTW. It's just a comfort issue.
Headband:
- width is way too thin (it feels like a steel rod)
- padding is awful (the foam compresses to nearly nothing)
- tension between ear pads is too low (band ends up supporting most of the weight)

Ear pads:
- padding is great (stiff enough for support, yet not uncomfortable)
- cloth covering is good (shows dust, yet hides oil)
Advice, stories, etc. are welcome.

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 23
I did something like Lucky did with my K701's. Instead of removing part of the headband suspension, I used zip-ties to secure the headband in it's fully extended position. That way the suspension does not pull the band down on my head, it just sits there, as it should imo.

I might have been able to live with them in stock form except for those crazy bumps on the underside of the band. Serious S.N.A.F.U. on AKG's part.

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 23
I refurb'd the headband on my ESP/10's (it had gone "flat", its now a pillow again
biggrin.gif
) and replaced the earpads (which were torture) with pads from a pair of protection muffs, most comfortable pair of hp's I've ever worn now...perhaps second only to the K701 (which I haven't done a thing to, except let the leather actually break in, instead of freak out and start cutting, taping, or tying things up a week into owning it
wink.gif
)

Mar 21, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #7 of 23
I haven't but I'd consider it. The headclamp effect is one of my pet hates and I've sold some much appreciated cans because of it.

If I found some uncomfortable headphones with sound that I love, I would seriously consider if it was possible to mod them to make them comfortable.

Mar 21, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #8 of 23
i often put different earpads on headphones- especially older ones that use thin vinyl pads

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't but I'd consider it. The headclamp effect is one of my pet hates and I've sold some much appreciated cans because of it.

If I found some uncomfortable headphones with sound that I love, I would seriously consider if it was possible to mod them to make them comfortable.

I found some unused window air conditioner foam, which is really just a slightly stiff, long, gray foam piece like 4 cm x 8 cm x 100 cm. This I cut to the desired thickness (2 cm?) and length and taped it under the headband from the top of one ear piece to the other.

Yes, shameless use of $6 packing tape on like-new $200 headphones.
duggehsmile.png

A side effect of the tape and the foam is that the ear pieces exert more pressure on the side of my head, which means the headband now supports much less of the weight. It's not 100% perfect, but it's a start.

Once I settle on a solution, maybe I can get someone to make me a cloth/leather cover to replace (or hide) the packing tape.

Mar 21, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #15 of 23
I'm thinking of modding my MS-1 for comfort. I heard that the HD414 makes it more comfy, plus I'm thinking of re cabling it to a more flexible cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back