Anyone looking for R10's??
Oct 23, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #197 of 211
SONY sure knows a thing or two about "super audio"
smily_headphones1.gif

too bad noone knows for how long the R10 drivers will keep working, and yet it doesn't kill its second hand price..

the actual transducer in the cd3k is damn small btw: ¡¾¶ú»úÊÇÓÃÀ´²ðµÄ£¡Ë÷Äá¸ßµµCD3000²ð¿´¡¿ÒôÏä´óÌÖÂÛ--ZOLÖйشåÔÚÏß

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #198 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
too bad noone knows for how long the R10 drivers will keep working, and yet it doesn't kill its second hand price..

The majority of the R10's were built early in production (roughly 1989-1992, IIRC). Those drivers have been working for up to 20 years now. While the foam surround of the driver deteriorates over time, this is trivial. I haven't heard any reports of R10 driver failure not directly due to abuse. After this much time, you'd think that if driver failure were a serious risk it would have started appearing by now.

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #199 of 211
Never ceases to amaze me that the people who have problems with the R10 are those that do not own one,have never owned one,more than likely never will own one and to top it all off have never even heard one.

It seems that Jealousy is indeed a curse.

To all who own one treasure them you have something special.

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #200 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard any reports of R10 driver failure not directly due to abuse. After this much time, you'd think that if driver failure were a serious risk it would have started appearing by now.

wasting several g's on a piece of equipment w/o any warranty or available spare parts whatsoever from the manufacturer(how is this acceptable from SONY?)...is still a pretty big bet IMHO.

I've heard of cd3k's rattling like mad in the low end after +15 years...I understand the R10 drivers are made of organic bacteria whatever, but still the usual MTBF curve shows that equipment can fail after a (long) while.

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #201 of 211
When were the last R10's made? I know that their company policy is to keep spare parts for 7 years after an item has been discontinued; at least it was for the SCD-1. People started buying up all the spare transports, optics, spindals and such when that time came near and I don't think they were able to live up to their promise, but I don't see Sony as a monster because of this and I love my SCD-1.

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #202 of 211
ISTR that the R10 ceased production around 2004.

The following should be treated as unconfirmed rumor:

One of the things that I heard, but don't know for certain, is that the engineer responsible for the R10 retired, and that there was simply nobody to replace him. With the expertise gone, so was the R10. Another story is that Sony was losing money on every R10 sold, but simply kept them in production as a statement product. The Qualia was developed to replace the R10 as the statement, and also turn a profit while doing so. While the Qualia 010 was an excellent headphone, it was also both finicky and fragile, and the line soon went under. After the Qualia line tanked, Sony stopped marketing statement headphones.

Oct 27, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #203 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...After the Qualia line tanked, Sony stopped marketing statement headphones.

To our extreme dismay...
frown.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #206 of 211
Fingers crossed that Sony take up the lead as well.
Sadly never heard the MDR-R10, or the Qualia 010 for that matter. But from what I have read around here and seen in pictures it certainly looks to be something I might like. So something similar to those would be nice.
smile.gif

One can always hope they take up the lead as well...

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #208 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by leberserkfury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if only they would re-re-release the R10s 1 more time..

and then Amazon could **** up again, and offer them new for $2000....

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #209 of 211
just for fun, I've bought a cd850...modded it w/ cd3k pads, took off the stock foam discs from the cups and did my usual cd1k modding...I also cleared all the nasty sticky foam from the drivers front.

well? SS is decent, but the trebles are very much not HD like on the cd3k drivers...and the SS is less natural sounding. I was hoping that they'd be cd3k drivers that didn't make it, but they're rated for 102dB sensitivity instead of 104dB for the cd1k/cd3k drivers.

anyway, after listening to it for 1H, putting back the cd1k on my ears was a clear night & day.

this guy says that he compared the cd1k and the r10 in a shop: favorite headphone - Hydrogenaudio Forums

the cd1k/cd3k drivers are just PRAT killing machines..everyone should hoard a few pairs
biggrin.gif

OTOH my cd1k is almost 15yo, so I'm not too worried...hopefully it'll outlive me, this thing just sounds too good, and it's very light...the cd3k was way too heavy for me.

Apr 24, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #210 of 211
wow, the R10 drivers look perfectly identical to the cd3k's cosmetically: http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7260/jz00017wt4.jpg

I've got the R10 earpads SONY part#: SONMDRR10 - Encompass Parts

they're grossly overpriced on audiocubes2, but how much do they cost in Japan? Anyone tried to install them on a cd3k?
atsmile.gif

PS: humm, it might not work...apparently it's the pads that make the drivers angled on the R10, but on the cd3k it's the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back