Anyone looking for R10's??
Jul 7, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #182 of 211
I have a question, do the cd1700 have any potential for ambitious mods? I bought a pair for 20$ ( from guy which sold me also Senn Hd580 in mint condition for 50$ ).

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #183 of 211
Brestinder, you might want to start a new thread in the headphone forum for that question. It will likely not get answered in this thread or this forum, and you'll have a better chance at answers by starting a new thread.

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #184 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone sees a set of CD1000 come up for $400 or less, buy them.

It is the same driver as the CD3000 housed in a plastic cup.
My set has been modified and I am willing to help anyone/donate material to anyone who would like to modify them. Once modified, they compete with the R10 - no lie. I had the opprotunity to compare my modified set to the R10 of Ray Samuels and IMO the detail level was near the same, but the R10 had a more full sound. At the time, the cable on the CD1000 was only hours old and has gotten consistently better since then (An upgraded cable (not just some microphone cable) in this case will make a HUGE difference in terms of available detail). Those wood cups of the R10 really do help it as well.

Don't be discouraged by the stock sound, it is bad...obviously so. It is almost like they did it on purpose. The cups literally have just a small foam disk inside and everyone knows how dependent those drivers are about their enclosure. The sound as of right now is probably similar to a Bass-light set of R10, but I do not own R10's so YMMV.

I haven't heard a R10, but I fully agree that a properly modded cd1k sounds miles better than a stock cd3k.

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #185 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard a R10, but I fully agree that a properly modded cd1k sounds miles better than a stock cd3k.

How about a properly mod CD3K? Should that beat the modded CD1k too?

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #186 of 211
if I had one to mod, I'd tell you...I've got a stock cd3k here, but it's up for sale as is
redface.gif

they both share the same drivers, so it's the housing that changes the FR here.

I think the cd3k has WAY too much foam in the cups...this will only bloat the bass and kill the SS/trebles transparency, the drivers clearly cannot breathe.

wooden opened cups would sound out of this world I think.

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #187 of 211
Quote:

if I had one to mod, I'd tell you...I've got a stock cd3k here, but it's up for sale as is
redface.gif

I think the cd3k has WAY too much foam in the cups...this will only bloat the bass and kill the SS/trebles transparency, the drivers clearly cannot breathe.

Are they really share the same driver? I'm not sure about the CD1000, but the CD1700 and CD3000 uses completely different drivers.

Sep 22, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #188 of 211
the cd3k is mostly a pimped up cd1k, w/ more foam in the cups to keep the bass heads happy...and they put this big stock foam disc in the cd1k that kills the details and bloats the bass.

the cd1700 was released afterwards(together w/ the cd2k maybe?), and has nothing to do w/ the cd750>3k serie.

the SONY part for the cd1k/cd3k drivers is 1-505-132-11 - Google Search

Sony - MDR-CD3000 Service Manual on Windows Drivers Downloads
Sony - MDR-CD1000 Service Manual on Windows Drivers Downloads

same ref again:
SONMDRCD1000 - Encompass Parts
SONMDRCD3000 - Encompass Parts

when I bought this cd1k ages ago, it was sold as being a cd3k w/o the bells & whistles...for a lot cheaper
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #189 of 211
Quote:

the cd3k is mostly a pimped up cd1k, w/ more foam in the cups to keep the bass heads happy...and they put this big stock foam disc in the cd1k that kills the details and bloats the bass.

the cd1700 was released afterwards(together w/ the cd2k maybe?), and has nothing to do w/ the cd750>3k serie.
the SONY part for the cd1k/cd3k drivers is 1-505-132-11 - Google Search

Sony - MDR-CD3000 Service Manual on Windows Drivers Downloads
Sony - MDR-CD1000 Service Manual on Windows Drivers Downloads

same ref again:
SONMDRCD1000 - Encompass Parts
SONMDRCD3000 - Encompass Parts

when I bought this cd1k ages ago, it was sold as being a cd3k w/o the bells & whistles...for a lot cheaper
wink.gif

Sorry for late reply. The CD1700 was released as a sister model to both the R10s and CD3000s. The CD2000 was/is a replacement to the CD1700 that didn't work out too well and not as well recieved by headphone fanatic. The CD1700 is very nice sounding closed headphone if you can manage to land one. I just brought my CD1700 back from work and really enjoy my listening session with them.

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #190 of 211
I kinda doubt that...the service manual is from 1996(cd750/1000/3000 are 1991) and it's got a more modern look(a la cd2k) : Sony - MDR-CD1700 Service Manual on Windows Drivers Downloads

and there was a guy selling a SONY brochure on ebay from the cd1k/cd3k era, there was no cd1700..

and I've done some more comparisons between my modded cd1k Vs stock cd3k, hahah...poor little cd3k. SS is wider on the cd1k(way too much foam in the cd3k cups IMO), trebles are clearer(same reason), and SS is wider(same reason again)...and the bass response is far more accurate and much less bloated on the cd1k(I spent a lot of time finding the right type/size of foam to add in the cups). I clearly wouldn't trade it for a stock cd3k
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #191 of 211
I'm glad that you are enjoying the mods CD1k.

Despite the service manual, I do have the ads printed in Japanese that show the three headphones (CD1700, CD3000, and R10) being offered at the same time. Not sure that I still can locate it, but a friend in Japan got me that ad back in 1995 or so. Why don't you check out the CD2000 service manual, I bet the date on the CD2000 is after the 1998. If you search around, you will see that the CD2000 was meant as replacement for the CD1700, but was not as good.

BTW...I couldn't resist but amazon stated that the CD1700 was first available on Amazon back in September 4, 1973, didn't realize amazon actually existed back then.
biggrin.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRCD1700.../dp/B00001WBRA

Quote:

I kinda doubt that...the service manual is from 1996(cd750/1000/3000 are 1991) and it's got a more modern look(a la cd2k) : Sony - MDR-CD1700 Service Manual on Windows Drivers Downloads

and there was a guy selling a SONY brochure on ebay from the cd1k/cd3k era, there was no cd1700..

and I've done some more comparisons between my modded cd1k Vs stock cd3k, hahah...poor little cd3k. SS is wider on the cd1k(way too much foam in the cd3k cups IMO), trebles are clearer(same reason), and SS is wider(same reason again)...and the bass response is far more accurate and much less bloated on the cd1k(I spent a lot of time finding the right type/size of foam to add in the cups). I clearly wouldn't trade it for a stock cd3k
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #192 of 211
well these days all the phones seem bass heavy, manufacturers need to realize that not everyone listens to rap music
biggrin.gif

ok good to know! everyone says the cd2k is a major downgrade from the cd3k, and that 1700 would be a good choice from what my google searches yielded...but I don't like velours tbh, I've got a stash of cd1k/3k pads so I just change them every half-year...et voila
smily_headphones1.gif

I will soon mod it in full leather, these pics make me drool like there's no tomorrow: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/sli...iendly-310323/

I know Germania also did it w/ lambskin, but she's rather unfriendly...so I've given up discussing cd1k mods with her.

Oct 22, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #194 of 211
Quote:

redface.gif

Looking at the pictures of the CD3000 you have i would not be using it as a benchmark.
regular_smile .gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #195 of 211
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jpelg, you're still missing my point I guess, even though you state it out-right:
"An R10 only makes sense for someone with an astronomical amount of disposable income, in such that losing $6k is virtually nothing to them"

Although I wouldn't catagorize myself like that.

As far as the stock market. I outlined two years ago, what was going to occur. The housing crisis, the credit crisis, the stock market crash, world-wide crashes, the Chinese economic crash, the bailouts, the employment crisis, the state and local government fiscal crisis, the public works projects, bear market rallys, future market crashes, the Crisis in Europe to come, a U.S. funding crisis, and many more wonderful things yet to come. It has been unfolding pretty much exactly as I said it would.

I could argue, present evidence, and show the how and why, but this economy and market are not going to recover for a long, long time. But only time will tell.

Could not agree more,and if no safeguards are put in place it will all repeat itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back