Anyone have info on Stephan Audio Art cables?
Jan 20, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #17 of 27
I think I'll wait for the Cardas vs. Clou review.

Lextek
cool.gif

Jan 20, 2002 at 9:39 AM Post #19 of 27
I'm a real believer in upgrading interconnects, but with these steep prices, I'd only buy if I could return them. I've got a 495 on the way, and the replacement cable from Stephan is more than the cost of the headphone new! If it doesn't dramatically improve the sound, I'd feel ripped off.

cajunchrist

Jan 20, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #20 of 27
Although $209 seems expensive for a 15' cable, that is the price I was quoted a couple months ago by Clou for the Clou Blue, once you figure in the shipping and wire transfer.

Here is the story with the Clou cable, but first I want to say that Lars at Clou was very understanding and helpful:

First I contacted Headroom to see if they could special order a 15' Clou Blue for me, they were not interested in doing this. So I emailed Clou to see if they could make one for me and to get a quote.

They said sure no problem but I would have to deposit the money in Swedish Kronas into their bank account. After alot of phone calls to local banks and Svenska Handelsbanken in New York, I got my bank to do a wire transfer. I wasn't able to send a money order because if you do the currency conversion and send the funds off once it reaches Sweden the exchange rates would have changed and you would have the wrong amount deposited. So I did a wire transfer that involved four banks and a currency conversion. Somewhere along the line they didn't convert and sent my whole checking account to Sweden leaving me completely broke.

I had no funds for 10 agonizing days and while I waited for the transfer to be reversed I was in financial limbo. (and extremely pissed)

This in no way is meant to reflect badly on Clou. In fact they authorized their bank to release the funds so they could be sent back. I really wanted that cable but couldn't pull off the transaction. I don't understand why Headroom couldn't order it for me if Clou was willing to make it.

So in the end I'm tired of waiting for my 15' cable and so ordered an AudioArt cable since it is available now.

I'm sure the Cardas will be a great cable since they make very well respected and well made products. I even use Cardas wire and binding posts in my speakers. But since you can't get them yet and it is unknown if I can get a 15' made and the AudioArt is on the market, that is why I have one on order. Whew! Now I'm out of breath.
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2002 at 9:08 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by BenG
Equinox up to 9' in length is $189
15' in length is $209

Are they kidding? $200 cable for a $200-300 dollar headphone
eek.gif

Really! That's outrageous.
He's going to price himself right out of the 580/600 cable market. (Unless that's what he's trying to do)
I'm waiting for the Cardas too.

Jan 21, 2002 at 1:22 AM Post #23 of 27
If the Stephan AudioArt cables were as expensive as the Clous, I would buy them. But twice as expensive as a clou blue? No thank you.

Jan 22, 2002 at 12:38 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by jude

Lextek,

I wish I had more info for you on the Cardas cable, but at this time I don't know too much either except that I believe they'll be on the market quite soon. I believe the Cardas prototypes will be arriving here this coming week, and I'm sure that'll give me more to say.

James from Stefan AudioArt will also be sending his Equinox HD-580/600 cable so I can try them side by side.

So are we going to see a Cardas, Clou, StephanAudioArt Review?

I hope so!

Jan 25, 2002 at 3:08 PM Post #26 of 27
I too will be anxious to see a review.

While so new to HEadphones I don't even have a system I have quite a bit of experience with speaker based systems. I will say that over the years I have tried a great numer of cables ...quite often I have spoken directly to the designers....George Cardas, for instance, before his daughter kind of took over, made some cable specifically for a turntable cartridge for me. Bruce Bisson at M.I.T. has always been accomodating to special orders.

I can't recall his name this morning but the guy form Audio Magic in Colorado was also willing to work on custom orders....so

I don't really understand why there is so little out there for headphones. Everything, and I mean everything, can be improved by good cables.

I will use either Nordost Quatro Fils (if XLR) or Audio Tekne (if RCA)
because I already haev them ...but how valuable are these great, albeit expensive, cables if the headset is connected with inferior cable?

Pardon me becuase I know it is not for the ignorant like me to chime in....but it has me worried.

Jan 25, 2002 at 10:15 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by mwb
I don't really understand why there is so little out there for headphones. Everything, and I mean everything, can be improved by good cables.

Pardon me becuase I know it is not for the ignorant like me to chime in....but it has me worried.

I agree that most audio equipment can be improved by better cabling, but the problem with headphone cables vs speaker cables or interconnects (or power cables for that matter) is that all of the other cables have standarized connectors (RCA, XLR, iec, banana, spade) while most headphones don't have any kind of standard connector (to attach to the cans thmselves), and most manufacturers, except Sennheiser, don't even provide detachable cables, and even they have at least two different kinds of connectors. That pretty much leaves it to the DIY crowd to take a chance at butchering up some cans (and warranties) to try different cables.

Unfortunately I don't see headphone manufacturers (even the high-end ones) cooperating with any kind of standard to go to a common connector (or even two, one for single sided cables, one for double). I'd rather see a place like Meier or Headroom offer to custom install the customer's cable of choice on new headphones they sell, at least the non-Sennheisers. Of course then you would have return problems and warranty problems. Oh well...

-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back