Anyone have info on Stephan Audio Art cables?
Jan 18, 2002 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

meithkiller

500+ Head-Fier
I keep hearing a little bit here and there about Stephan Audio Art's Sennheiser cable upgrades, but haven't heard many details. The first thing I've seen in print about them is in the Music Direct flyer I got yesterday. They have a 10' S.A.A. Vision 1 cable for Sennheiser HD200, HD495, HD570, HD590, etc for $75. What about the 580/600? Will they be making a two-sided cable for the 580/600, or just the single sided plug for the newer cans? Any info on cable construction? For $75, it is tempting to take a chance on one for my HD570's, but I'd rather have a shorter cable. Do they do custom lengths? Thanks.....

-Keith

Jan 18, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 27
Thanks Jude, I hadn't seen the link on the front page. I tried searching for a website, but couldn't turn up anything. I might give the 6' Nightpath a try for my HD570's (or see if I can get a shorter custom cable) until their cables are available for the 580.

-Keith

Jan 19, 2002 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by meithkiller
...until their cables are available for the 580.

-Keith

Though I could be wrong, I was under the impression you could custom order the 580/600-compatible ones now. Contact Stefan AudioArt to find out for sure.

Also keep in mind that Cardas is coming out with some cables for the HD-580/600, but I don't know exactly when. I should have some pre-production prototypes of the Cardas ones next week.

Jan 19, 2002 at 7:42 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by slindeman
Take a look at this: http://stefanaudioart.com/ClouEquinoxComparision.html

I didn't see this the last time I checked the website a few days ago. Interesting to say the least...

Yeah, that was a good read. I sent them an email tonight regarding the availability of the Equinox for the HD600. I asked for a price quote on a 15 footer and also asked what colors of techflex they offered. If these cables aren't available yet I also asked when they might expect a release date.

Since we're into the weekend already I'm not expecting a reply right away. But I'll post something here when I get some info. This was kind of hard to type since my fingers are crossed.
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #7 of 27
Got a quick reply from James S. Serdechny this morning. There are two HD580/HD600 cables available. The two cables are both available only by custom order and orders for custom length are accepted.

Only the black techflex outer covering is being offered for now. The Equinox has black techflex with white cable by the earpiece.

The Vision 1 has black techflex with red cable by the earpiece.

Here are the prices I was quoted:

Equinox up to 9' in length is $189
15' in length is $209

Vision 1 in up to 9' in length is $159.
15' in length is $179.

The lead time is currently 2-4 weeks because of the high demand. I have put in an order request for a 15' Equinox but need to finalize the transaction.

smily_headphones1.gif
Happy Camper
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 27
Wow, looks like the law of supply and demand has raised the prices or something. It is hard to believe that they can make a 9' Equinox cable for the HD590, etc for $109, but charge $189 for the 580/600 version. I mean an extra $80 for the different connectors (Sennheiser's two proprietary plugs vs. a 3/32 sub-mini plug for the 590) and one extra conductor? Seems a little steep to me. I guess if people are willing to pay that much they can get away with charging that much. After seeing their pricing on their single sided cables I was hoping they would be the value leaders for 580/600 replacement cables. Oh well, I'll probably order a custom-length (4 feet) Nightpath for my HD570's for now. Then again, maybe I'll get ambitious and make my own.

-Keith

Jan 20, 2002 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 27
I got the same email. They kind of knock the Clou's. I think the Clou's sound great. Just stiff. Hello Cardas. Jude a little insight here.

Lextek
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2002 at 5:01 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
I got the same email. They kind of knock the Clou's. I think the Clou's sound great. Just stiff. Hello Cardas. Jude a little insight here.

Lextek
wink.gif

Lextek,

I wish I had more info for you on the Cardas cable, but at this time I don't know too much either except that I believe they'll be on the market quite soon. I believe the Cardas prototypes will be arriving here this coming week, and I'm sure that'll give me more to say.

James from Stefan AudioArt will also be sending his Equinox HD-580/600 cable so I can try them side by side.

Jan 20, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #14 of 27
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure about Stefan. Haven't heard too much about there cables. I know the Clous.

Lextek
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back