Anyone have experience with MP4 players from MP4 Nation?
Oct 10, 2008 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sparkfizzle

Head-Fier
For example, this one looks interesting:

Nationite S:Flo Touch Screen 8GB + Alpha Brainwavz [Teclast T50] [Nationite SFlo 8GB + Brainwavz] - $114.50 : MP4 Nation!, :: Low Priced MP4, MP3 Players and the latest scoop on the newest MP4 Player

especially for the price (Rockchip and Wolfson chipsets). Assuming one only has non-DRM'd music, how good of an alternative are these to the more mainstream players? Don't see too many reviews apart from the (nice and detailed) video ones on the site itself.

TIA,
sparkfizzle

Oct 10, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 21
I got my Meizu M6 SL 8GB there. Good service and prices, and the forum is pretty large as well; extremely easy to contact raz, the admin.

And the S:Flo does sound like a very good player. The Wolfson WM8987 is the same that's found in Meizu's and it uses a Rockchip RK2706 as well (strongest one yet), which assures it'll playback videos well at 30FPS.

Ugh, I'm sounding like too much of a salesman. If I didn't already have a Meizu and Z80 I'd probably cop it.

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 21
Got the Onda VX787 and the S:Flo. The Onda went back in 24 hours - I just couldn't stand the grainy, dim display (may have been a defective unit) which defeated its purpose as a video player. The S:Flo sounds fantastic and is a keeper. I have also ordered the Ainol V3000 and the newly anounced Nationite OS-81 (rebranded Teclast Txx), we'll see what they look like.

Great experience with ordering. Raz is easy to get hold of and extremely helpful (although responses are a little slow with him being in Hong Kong and all - plus I think he runs everything himself since all email aliases seem to wind up in his inbox
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 21
I'm interested. How does the S:Flo compare with other players you have/have owned? How is the battery life?

Seems like a great deal if the sound quality is decent compared to the upper echelon of DAPS in the market and the design is good.

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 21
Subjective opinion (like most on head-fi): I like it enough to keep. The audio quality resembles the D2 (not surprising since they use similar/same chipsets afaik) but output volume is lower (not an issue for me since I'm neither a basshead nor play at loud volumes). I did replace the included buds. The touch screen is good but not as good as the iTouch (understandable given the cost). Forums and folks at MP4 Nation are very helpful and responsive (you'll need help with MP4 players - the S:Flo is an exception with menus and things explained well in English). Player plays decent video smoothly but is too small for extended viewing. Sound is balanced on my Klipsch X10s.

I got this as a secondary player but am planning to use it regularly (primaries are Zune 120 and Sony A7xx). I have zero regrets at the price I paid.

Also, after returning the VX787 I also got an Ainol V3000 from the same place with an LTPS screen for movie viewing - it is the BEST screen I have seen to date bar NONE.

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #10 of 21
it looks like this is a very good touch screen. You can tell by all the video reviews.

Lol i might have to order one of these. I think im gonna order just because it has a nice touch screen and i don't want to deck out 300 dollars for an ipod touch.

Nov 19, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #11 of 21
That's the reason I bought it - as a cheap touch screen player. I wouldn't describe the sound as too warm, more analytical like the D2. And I like the Zune sound better than both this and the D2.

Haven't run drain tests to see what the battery life is, but I've been using it for about 6 hrs now on audio and there's still at least 1/3rd power left. Will post back here if/when I have a better idea.

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #13 of 21
Not yet - shipping is cheap but slow, but it's on the way. Will probably arrive next week. My experience is around 10-14 days from HK unless you pick EMS (which I did not for the preorder). Will update this thread with pics/review once I get it.

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #14 of 21
Well, got it in a couple of days ago. Nice unit, brilliant MVA screen, but the touch screen calibration was off by about 1cm i.e. click and the click happens about 1cm below. Recalibration via the menus didn't do anything to fix it. Needless to say, this made the top level buttons and menus nigh-unusable
mad.gif
. I didn't see anything similar on the mp4nation forums, so I'm assuming this is not a manufacturing defect and is a one-off. I am sending it back for replacement (which is slow since the unit has to make it to HK and back). Once I get a new one, will post a proper review.

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkfizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, got it in a couple of days ago. Nice unit, brilliant MVA screen, but the touch screen calibration was off by about 1cm i.e. click and the click happens about 1cm below. Recalibration via the menus didn't do anything to fix it. Needless to say, this made the top level buttons and menus nigh-unusable
mad.gif
. I didn't see anything similar on the mp4nation forums, so I'm assuming this is not a manufacturing defect and is a one-off. I am sending it back for replacement (which is slow since the unit has to make it to HK and back). Once I get a new one, will post a proper review.

aww man.. thats a sucky problem to have. considering that the whole player operates on touchscreen.. okk.. hope the return goes well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back