Anyone get ASIO working with Xonar D2X?
Aug 26, 2008 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

Brando

500+ Head-Fier
Kernel streaming works, but it bugs me that ASIO won't and I just want to try it. All I get is a prolonged ringing when I try to play ASIO. I set it up the same way that I did when I had my X-fi(Foobar2000). Anyone make it work without resorting to ASIO4ALL? How? Theres nothing in the Asus forums.

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 64
I have and it is working, but seem to make my Vista stuck from time to time
frown.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 64
the problem is,that you need asio4all and its limited to 48khz.i am looking for a possibility to use cicsplay or foobar with 192khz like a esi juli with its own asio driver.
bye
alfred

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 64
That's what I was getting at. I want to be able to go to output in foobar2000 and choose Xonar ASIO and have it work just like when I choose KS. Without ASIO4all that is.

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 64
Ok I feel silly. When I got the card I installed the drivers on the cd and then installed what I thought was an update from the Asus site. Apparently what I downloaded was a complete driver (doh!) and it didn't like being installed over a previous version. I uninstalled and reinstalled only the newer one which worked. Only thing I still don't get is why I'm able to change the sample rate. Isn't bit perfect supposed to make that impossible?

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok I feel silly. When I got the card I installed the drivers on the cd and then installed what I thought was an update from the Asus site. Apparently what I downloaded was a complete driver (doh!) and it didn't like being installed over a previous version. I uninstalled and reinstalled only the newer one which worked. Only thing I still don't get is why I'm able to change the sample rate. Isn't bit perfect supposed to make that impossible?

Change the sample rate where? Either way, some cards allow you to resample no matter what. Consider it a feature.
tongue.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 64
You can change the sample rate on the asus audio center in mid song. I always thought bit perfect made it play at whatever it's native sample rate is. So cd 44.1....dvd 96 or whatever it is...

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #13 of 64
well if the D1/DX is the same then you can go right up to 192Khz using ASIO4ALL.

This is how I done it...Don't install the extra software with the sound card though unless you need the Dolby ProLogic stuff as the "hi-fi" mode and "sample rate selector" seems a bit odd. Just use "update driver" in device manager and select the relevant files from the CD or later download off the website if sound quality (High SNR etc...) is all you need from the card. Also, the hardware buffer works nicely with no offset on the D1/DX. Off course this isn't bit perfect like previously mentioned so I'd only recommend doing this if you are using a decent re-sampler.

Regards,
Jonathan

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #14 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by slenpree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well if the D1/DX is the same then you can go right up to 192Khz using ASIO4ALL.

This is how I done it...Don't install the extra software with the sound card though unless you need the Dolby ProLogic stuff as the "hi-fi" mode and "sample rate selector" seems a bit odd. Just use "update driver" in device manager and select the relevant files from the CD or later download off the website if sound quality (High SNR etc...) is all you need from the card. Also, the hardware buffer works nicely with no offset on the D1/DX. Off course this isn't bit perfect like previously mentioned so I'd only recommend doing this if you are using a decent re-sampler.

Regards,
Jonathan

Ok, can you explain more about it?
How do you do it and so on?

Oct 4, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #15 of 64
For playback:
1. Install only the WDM driver for the Xonar via device manager (Not the installer basically)
2. Install ASIO4ALL + foobar2000
3. Add the foobar ASIO & SSRC plug-in's to the components directory
4. Configure the resampler to 192Khz and Top quality (do not use ultra/slow mode as will cause latency problems later)
5. Configure foobar to use ASIO4ALL as the output device; check that it automatically sees the Xonar's output channels.
6. Start playback and bring up the ASIO4ALL config panel, expand the Xonar device and it should say "Out: 8x 0.1-192kHz, 32Bits". Change the latency compensation to 0 samples (in and out). Tick hardware buffer and set the offset to 0 ms and change the ASIO Buffer Size to the smallest (64 Samples). This will now give you a nice really low latency output at 192kHz.

* Unless using an EQ or other DSP; I'd recommend decreasing foobar's buffer to the lowest aswell. I would also recommend not using replay gain with ASIO.

For recording:
Well Cakewalk has a "Use ASIO" tickbox in the settings, haven't tested it much but it doesn't cause problems, maybe someone else can comment better on this.

Hope this helps,
Jonathan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back