Anyone else just a 1 headphone user? (Not a collector)
Apr 6, 2023 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

TwizzyTonkaa

New Head-Fier
I'm the type of person that just uses 1 headphone (My dan clark's)
I don't have an interest in collecting because I'd rather save up for something that would be an upgrade as apposed to headphones that would be side grades.
Maybe if I got rich I'd become a collector haha

Apr 6, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 66
I feel this. I have a small collection of headphones, but i really tend to stick with one for everything (audio work plus listening for fun). So...i don't like to change things out often. Helps me just dive into music when im not distracted by options.

I think your mindset to save for the big upgrade is completely sound. Save for what you really want. Buy once, cry once

Apr 6, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 66
I have had periods with only one headphone, my first one Philips N6330 I had as a sole can for many years, later on I used the Sony MDR-CD770 also for many years. But now, I use more than one LoL

Apr 6, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 66
I feel this. I have a small collection of headphones, but i really tend to stick with one for everything (audio work plus listening for fun). So...i don't like to change things out often. Helps me just dive into music when im not distracted by options.

I think your mindset to save for the big upgrade is completely sound. Save for what you really want. Buy once, cry once
I'll probably become an amp / dac collector eventually since I don't see myself going beyond Abyss 1266 phi TC

Apr 6, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 66
I used to be a one IEM person but now I have more and I definitely have more to think about when I listen to music like should I be using my other pair for this track. Definitely simpler to have one only.

Apr 6, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 66
I used to be a one IEM person but now I have more and I definitely have more to think about when I listen to music like should I be using my other pair for this track. Definitely simpler to have one only.
I could never get into IEMs. Not a fan of the comfort and they always sounded "thin" to me compared with headphones

Apr 7, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 66
Well, not me. I don't think I have a problem! I can control the demons.... LOL
4FBFCDDC-BF7D-4985-AC89-39468B1633AB.jpeg

Apr 7, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 66
Apr 7, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #10 of 66
Interesting video about owning multiple headphones:

I wrote somewhere:
"Then there's the group of headphones that you like the style of one, the neutrality of another, the bass extension of another or the durability of another but there isn't one headphone that encompasses all these attributes. Or there's one that does nearly everything you want but it's too bright or too uncomfortable or too cheaply made or too large a soundstage." One headphone to rule them all...and in the darkness bind them.

Apr 7, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #11 of 66
I have three pairs of headphones and one pair of IEMs, haven't bought anything headphone related (other than a second iPhone dongle) since 2020, and really have no desire to change that streak. Maaayyybe if I suddenly found myself flush with money I'd get another pair of IEMs that are a little more comfortable and a little more balanced sounding, but honestly I use them so infrequently that it'd be hard to justify to myself.

I have a lightly modded HD 650 which I use probably about 85% of the time, PM-3 when I want more bass gets 14.9% head time, and UM Pro 50 only gets 0.1% head time when I'm out. The DT 1990 has been sitting lonely on the shelf for months.

Apr 7, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #13 of 66
I have an open and a closed and I’m getting a second closed for something more comfortable that I can wear for really long sessions. I’ll probably wind up selling my other closed pair if I like this new set and stick to that. I’ve been pretty happy keeping it minimum. I got to experience a lot of cool headphones, but I’ve hit good enough, I’m not convinced the marginal gains are worth the steep price curve past this point and I don’t really use different sound profiles.

Apr 7, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #14 of 66
For a long time I’ve been a 1 headphone guy and would sell the headphone for the next purchase. I would tend to put all my money into the one system too, so all very TOTL models.
Now I’m finding I enjoy having 4 headphones (3 estats and 1 dynamic). The biggest drag is that I have 2 amps that can loop together on XLR but if I want to use the RCA tube amp I have to rerig everything… it’s got me considering a 2nd dac lmao

Apr 7, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #15 of 66
I am a one headphone USER. One set at a time on my head !! 🤣🤣🤣. As for OWNER … see ‘signature’.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back