Anyone else just a 1 headphone user? (Not a collector)
Jul 27, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #46 of 66
I'm the type of person that just uses 1 headphone (My dan clark's)
I don't have an interest in collecting because I'd rather save up for something that would be an upgrade as apposed to headphones that would be side grades.
Maybe if I got rich I'd become a collector haha

I have only one pair of headphones at the moment. But would like to upgrade to something better, and have at least one pair that's open, and one closed.

I've only used dynamic drivers so far, and would also be interested in trying a planar headphone. I like some fairly dynamic sounding bass though. So I suspect that a good low distortion DD will be more my preferred sound.

I'd also like to add a couple nice flat lower-cost speakers to my setup.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #47 of 66
I use only one pair of headphones at any given moment. I am definitely not a collector :sweat_smile:

Jul 27, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #48 of 66
I wish I could only keep one headphone. I end up getting them and struggle to let them go even if I don't listen to them often. Currently listening to music on the 2022 Utopia and have the OG Utopia for comparison. Bought them both within a week of each other. I'm sure I'll let one of them go..........

Attachments

• 1690435502466.jpeg
    1690435502466.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jul 27, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #49 of 66
I listen to everything too... on the same headphones. So don't really buy the genre argument... If you're listening to vintage recordings, then maybe. The quality of mastering, while still somewhat inconsistent, is decent enough these days that a good pair of neutral headphones should do the job with most content. Just my 2c fwiw.

If you're looking for different kinds of effects from your headphones, that's another story. But that's not really genre-related.

I understand what you are saying and as far as my ears are concerned, it's more of "these headphones do better with classic rock than other genres" and less of "these headphones are better at classic rock than other headphones". Maybe some people feel the same when it sounds like they are saying headphones are genre specific?

Currently my JM are sounding better than everything else I have, and the Audio-Technica travel the best. That is certainly 2 things that are different for sure.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #50 of 66
I understand what you are saying and as far as my ears are concerned, it's more of "these headphones do better with classic rock than other genres" and less of "these headphones are better at classic rock than other headphones". Maybe some people feel the same when it sounds like they are saying headphones are genre specific?

Perhaps... And this is certainly the kind of thing you'll hear from headphone reviewers quite often. To borrow your example though, what would the justification be for suggesting that a pair headphones might be better with a certain genre or type of music, such as classic rock, than with some other genre?

I am quite a fan of vintage/classic rock n roll btw, from the 50's onward. And listen to it on the same headphones, with same EQ settings as everything else.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/official-classic-rock-thread.901225/

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #51 of 66
I currently own 2 and waiting for Utopias because I read too much of this forum and was itching to try them. But at the moment when I don't listen to other hp (Atrium) which is 70% of time, I kind of feel bad that other hp has to just sit there on the stand and gather dust and it is so expensive. But I still keep it as a beautiful sculpture. I cannot imagine having 20 or more pairs like some guys on the forums.

Jul 27, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #52 of 66
i currently own the sundara, 109 pro and 660s2 but i enjoy the s2 so much that i can't use the other 2 anymore. i have my issues with the mezes and sundara is no where near as good in vocal perfomance as the s2. so my daily driver is the s2 for sure. i dont know what i should do with my other 2. i want to sell them for a damn fair price but i dont know how since i live in norway and most live in the us i belive here

Jul 30, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #55 of 66
I don’t think I can ever be a one-pair user.

I can forego Bluetooth if need be. I can forego listening while commuting. I can ignore soundstage, and I don’t have extremely specific tonal preferences, but I need at the very least two pairs based on use case: one open and one closed, and this is before backup pairs. Reasons are as follows:

Closed:
  1. I am an interpreter by trade, and hearing and headphones are vital in my line of work; the latter applies in a conference setting for simultaneous interpretation. The better the isolation, the lower I can keep the volume and the lower I can risk hearing damage.
  2. I live in a studio apartment with a partner. I don’t want to bother her by blaring my music and conferencing on speakers.
Open:
  1. Comfort. Open-backs ventilate better because of the porous nature of open-backs, which makes them more wearable for me for extended sessions, whether it’s entertainment or remote conferencing.
  2. Related to #2 in closed - I can still keep my ears open for conversation and pay attention to the doorbell.

Jul 30, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #56 of 66
As I find myself using headphones less and less in the modern era, I can comfortably stick with one headphone or none at all. I am reminded of this every time I wipe the dust off my main pair of headphones sitting on my desk. In reality, just stick me with something not dissimilar to a Koss KPH30i, and I'd be set. With a suspended headband, being lightweight, and being on-ear, the KPH30i sets a good example. In other words, something comfortable with no troublesome timbral pitfalls is adequate. Now, if earbuds factor in as a headphone, then it would be a different story. An item like a Bluetooth earbud—something IPX7 with fins like the AKG N400 would be my choice.

Jul 30, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #57 of 66
I used to be like this...
Now it feels like headphones are magically appearing on my doorstep every month.

Oct 13, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #58 of 66
I used to have many headphone, HD600,HD6xx,Beyerdynamic 880, T1, LCD2, Yamaha HPH-1, Hifiman HE-400, HE-400i, Stax L300... i try them and sold them again... now i am using HD800... and stick with it... so far the best for me....

Oct 14, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #59 of 66
Currently own HD650, 700, 800 and Denon 2000's and I exclusively use HD700's. I tried so hard to like HD800's but at times the soundstage was too large. It felt like if you took a cooked lasagna and separated all the ingredients into their own separate plate.

Oct 14, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #60 of 66
Used to have a lot before in about 6 years journey (Starting in 2017, when im bought the AKG as my 1st serious audiophille headphone), im not collector so i just keep what suits best for my ears and what i needed, this listing is what i have bought and now they're belong to another owner or others that can probably appreciate them better than me, AKG (K7xx), Audio Technica (M50, MSR7SE, R70x, ADX5000 - bought it twice), Hifiman (Arya, Ananda), Focal (Elear - bought it twice, Clear), Audeze (LCD X), Beyerdynamic (T1p), Sennheiser (HD600, HD650, HD800, HD800s), Sony (MDR1AM2, MDRZ7mk1), Ibasso Audio (SR1), Oppo (PM2), Meze Audio (99 Classic), ZMF (Aeolus), Grado (SR80e).

Currently im using just 3 Fostex TH900MK2, LCD2CB, 610, im probably gonna release 610 to try on Denon but i have still my doubts, i already pleased basically with what i have now.

I personally can't keep just 1 cans, maximum probably between 2 or 4, so in case something goes wrong or wants another different sound signature (1 Bright tuning and 1 Warm tuning, so i got both covered), i want a backup too, not for collecting reason, basically ideally i just keeping 2 or 3 for me so i can feel safe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back