Anyone else just a 1 headphone user? (Not a collector)
Apr 9, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #31 of 66
In 1975 I compared the Sennheiser against Koss, but it was more about understanding what a headphone could do? Then in 1982 I found a pair of open-back Koss headphones and used them for almost a decade. Why, because I didn’t listen to headphones, I listened to music. There was a pair of Sony MDR-7506 I used a while? Finally in 1998 I found a pair of Sony CD-870 headphones and they were my only pair. Why? Because I listened to music and didn’t care about different headphones. I mean if they worked then they worked. Then around 2006 I found this place! :)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #33 of 66
I'm the type of person that just uses 1 headphone (My dan clark's)
I don't have an interest in collecting because I'd rather save up for something that would be an upgrade as apposed to headphones that would be side grades.
Maybe if I got rich I'd become a collector haha

I used to think this way too until I realized two things were true (at least to me)

1) They're not side-grades. Just because two headphones cost $650 doesn't mean one can't sound literally twice as good as the other. With Chifi becoming obscenely competitive this is doubly true in very recent years. Case in point my 7Hz Timeless IEMs provide a level of detail that my HD600s, Focal Bathys, and other costlier stuff I have can not hope to match. The 7Hz also cost significantly less.

2) Not every headphone sounds good with every piece of music. Some headphones excel at rock, some at pop, some at heavy bass, etc etc etc. Having one headphone for each genre of music that you listen to, that excels at that genre, makes more sense to me than having one headphone that costs a lot more but may not excel at every type of music I listen to. I realize most people have more isolated musical tastes, and a person who only likes K pop should get cans that sound good with K pop and worry about nothing else, but I listen to everything.

Apr 12, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #34 of 66
Yeah, I'm down to one or two. As a way to try different signatures, I ended up with more sets than I needed. In reality, I knew it was to fuel my sense of consumerism. Nowadays, I could easily live with just one set of headphones, as long as I had access to another set of IEMs and speakers.

There are usually just two sound signatures that I stick to with the help of DSP: neutral brightish—or whatever is stock—and the same profile with a 20–25 dB sub-bass boost, whichever doesn't clip.

Apr 12, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #35 of 66
I used to think this way too until I realized two things were true (at least to me)

1) They're not side-grades. Just because two headphones cost $650 doesn't mean one can't sound literally twice as good as the other. With Chifi becoming obscenely competitive this is doubly true in very recent years. Case in point my 7Hz Timeless IEMs provide a level of detail that my HD600s, Focal Bathys, and other costlier stuff I have can not hope to match. The 7Hz also cost significantly less.

2) Not every headphone sounds good with every piece of music. Some headphones excel at rock, some at pop, some at heavy bass, etc etc etc. Having one headphone for each genre of music that you listen to, that excels at that genre, makes more sense to me than having one headphone that costs a lot more but may not excel at every type of music I listen to. I realize most people have more isolated musical tastes, and a person who only likes K pop should get cans that sound good with K pop and worry about nothing else, but I listen to everything.
I can understand that. Myself, I really only listen to two genres, with rock and metal being primary. I have three for home stuff, and they all excel at something better than the others. But they all sound right and good to me. There is no such thing as the perfect headphone. Listen to enough, and this becomes obvious. As long as we have something that we truly like, that's all that matters. I also have 2 sets of transportable cans.

Apr 12, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #36 of 66
I currently rocking one pair of Aryas SE, that I think does everything well.
For IEMS, I enjoy using the S12 for gaming/calls. The Dusk is usally to be paired with the DAP when I'm working in the office.
But Im really searching for a closed back headphone for a more "portable", atm I dont think is worth going over the Dusk for better sound quality

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #37 of 66
Well, not me. I don't think I have a problem! I can control the demons.... LOL4FBFCDDC-BF7D-4985-AC89-39468B1633AB.jpeg
I know this is extremely off topic but I notice you partake in a hobby I am interested in but haven't started. Do you have any resources you can recommend for someone wanting to learn about pipe smoking who currently knows nothing?

Apr 12, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #38 of 66
I know this is extremely off topic but I notice you partake in a hobby I am interested in but haven't started. Do you have any resources you can recommend for someone wanting to learn about pipe smoking who currently knows nothing?
Geez, your nik is already BrokeAudiophileMan ... should you really be looking to add random new hobbies?

Apr 12, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #39 of 66
I am a one headphone USER. One set at a time on my head !! 🤣🤣🤣. As for OWNER … see ‘signature’.
Lol. I saw the thread and thought of that exact response, then thought I should at least check the thread to make sure no one had made the joke already.

Of COURSE JC already beat me to that one :).

I try to keep it functional. One good open back, one good closed back, and iem, and one for the office. I don’t count my DIY and the cheap-o iems it’s easier to keep than sell.

Apr 12, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #40 of 66
Geez, your nik is already BrokeAudiophileMan ... should you really be looking to add random new hobbies?
Hobbies are only expensive if you hit them hard. B-grade barrel pipe and some 25-50g of cherry tobacco can be had for like $40. Just haven't decided if I want to do it yet. Now if I go nuts and end up with 50 pipes and 100 different tins of tobacco, ya that's expensive.

Jul 19, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #43 of 66
Lol. I saw the thread and thought of that exact response, then thought I should at least check the thread to make sure no one had made the joke already.

Of COURSE JC already beat me to that one :).

I try to keep it functional. One good open back, one good closed back, and iem, and one for the office. I don’t count my DIY and the cheap-o iems it’s easier to keep than sell.
That's a lot of restraint!

I don't use IEM's, but having only one open and one closed would be tough for me.

Could probably work with 2 of each though, I think that'd be more doable (would keep first four in my sig).

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #44 of 66
I'm mainly listening to my JM Audios right now, but my others have a purpose.

The Audio-Technica ATH-WP900 are my travel set (I travel a lot for work) that I use with an xCan and they are perfect for that. They have a fun V sound that doesn't need EQ other than the bass boost on the xCan for me to enjoy them. and they are very light and compact.

The Sundara Closed is my planar. I'm currently selling those but listened to them again the other day and think I might keep them, they sound particularly nice with classic rock.

The Meze 99 Noir was so cheap and looks so nice, that it has basically become decoration in my office (on a stand on the bookshelf).

Jul 27, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #45 of 66

I listen to everything too... on the same headphones. So don't really buy the genre argument... If you're listening to vintage recordings, then maybe. The quality of mastering, while still somewhat inconsistent, is decent enough these days that a good pair of neutral headphones should do the job with most content. Just my 2c fwiw.

If you're looking for different kinds of effects from your headphones, that's another story. But that's not really genre-related.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back