Anyone compared the Sony MDR-EX1000 to Shure SE535?
Feb 6, 2011 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DjAmTraX

Now known as: HiFiGuy528
There's something about the EX1000 I really like. Perhaps it's the Sony fanboy in me. Has anyone compared it against the Shure SE535? They're about the same price. I do like the optional iPhone control cable on the SE535 that Sony doesn't offer.

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 7
I've heard both options, though not exactly at the same time. I can say that I did get a degree of sibilance on the EX1000's that just wasn't there on the SE535. They both had a natural, open sound to my ears, though the EX1000 seemed to handle dynamics better (as you would expect from a dynamic driver). However, the issue with sibilance was a big problem for me - after having the EX700 for a few months, I would have thought they would have fixed that issue. It may perhaps be an attempt to boost perceived clarity.

Feb 6, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #3 of 7
I have plans to eventually write that comparison... however, I am currently too busy to write anything coherent or to sit still and listen to those two carefully. Under what I remembered, I think the SE535 does everything better except for the bass. That's not to say the SE535 does the bass bad, it is just that the EX1000 just does it so well.

Despite of the very tight, well-controlled, and powerful bass (tighter, but slightly less boom than the Coppers in comparison), the EX1000 is considered grainy with its treble for its price tag (I haven't heard its sibliance though interestingly). Mids are good, but compared to the SE535, it loses out there as well.

If you want to talk about value, I honestly believe the SE535 is a better choice. However, if you want an extra punch in your music and dislike the slightly rolled off treble of the SE535, the EX1000 can be a good choice as well.

Feb 6, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 7

I have plans to eventually write that comparison... however, I am currently too busy to write anything coherent or to sit still and listen to those two carefully. Under what I remembered, I think the SE535 does everything better except for the bass. That's not to say the SE535 does the bass bad, it is just that the EX1000 just does it so well.

Despite of the very tight, well-controlled, and powerful bass (tighter, but slightly less boom than the Coppers in comparison), the EX1000 is considered grainy with its treble for its price tag (I haven't heard its sibliance though interestingly). Mids are good, but compared to the SE535, it loses out there as well.

If you want to talk about value, I honestly believe the SE535 is a better choice. However, if you want an extra punch in your music and dislike the slightly rolled off treble of the SE535, the EX1000 can be a good choice as well.

I can't wait to read your full review. Please post lots of pictures too.

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #5 of 7
I will try to do an A/B on both this coming weekend.

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #7 of 7
I can't get my hands onto the EX800ST unfortunately. In additional to that, I probably won't have my comparison done till mid-March as I am on another road trip. I am also very interested to see how ST800ST squares between the EX1000 and the EX600, so it'd be neat to see someone write their impressions on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back