Anyone buy a yen-audio HD650 leather headband wrap?
Feb 23, 2010 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Poetik

1000+ Head-Fier
Feb 23, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 18
Thanks for the link...I never knew they existed. I also wonder if they are any good...

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 18
Those are the leather headbands for the Beyer DT770/880/990 family. They can be had for a much cheaper price (around $15) if you order direct from a Beyer warehouse.

They're very nice and make great headbands for Grados (more comfortable than the JMoney's but not as nice looking; I prefer the beyers) as well as for any headband that you can snap them around. Currently, I have them on my Pioneer SE-500.

Feb 23, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 18
Yeah, these are pretty much clones of Beyer headband pads. Should work fine with HD650, but I would probably remove the stock headband padding first because it would be too thick to put these on with the stock ones still on (as these headbands also have about 1/2 cm padding on their own).

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 18
Nice, getting it for $15 sounds a ton better than $40. Still there is a question about the headband chipping though.

Has anyone had one of these and not had the chipping happen on the plastic? I know it's a natural thing with the HD650's but I'm really curious if this leather headband will stop it.

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 18
You take the plastic OFF in order to put those on.

So I guess technically it does stop the chipping, but probably not in the way that you were expecting.

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jawang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You take the plastic OFF in order to put those on.

So I guess technically it does stop the chipping, but probably not in the way that you were expecting.

Hmm, as quoted by the ebay listing:

"This high quality padded leather wrap dramatically improves listening comfort by replacing the stock foam insert with high quality soft leather and also prevents the paint-chipping problem (see picture below) that is common on these headphones. Installation is a breeze, simply remove one of the two "Ireland" plastic tabs at the ends of the headband and slide out the stock foam insert, then wrap this leather upgrade around the headband and it's done!"

So it looks like that plastic part still remains on the headphone otherwise there there wouldn't be anything to hold the headphone together. You do however take out the original foam padding. I'm just curious how the heck putting that leather headband on would reduce the chipping. You would still flex the plastic part if you put it on your head regardless of if it's there or not.

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 18
If you can't take it off, then they probably just mean that it'll cover up chipping

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #9 of 18
the design is faulty and will leave 4 nice round marks on the paint of your headphone overtime.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 18
I have a pair and have taken really really good care of them. The chipping problem is inevitable. I put it back in the box after every use, and still a chip is developing. Everytime you pull the cups apart to put them on your head, you stress the band, which this pad will not prevent. It can lower the chances of chipping but it will not prevent it entirely.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #11 of 18
I haven't had a problem with chipping yet. If anything a pad such as this would cover it up.

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #12 of 18
I have a Beyer DT770 headband pad (which is what is advertised in the fleabay ad). They cost $9 something from Beyer USA (was speaking to Beyer this week).

I put it on my 650s to cover up the paint chips which were there when I bought them second or third hand.

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #15 of 18
I just found the same ebay auction. The price apparently has dropped from 40 to 28 dollars. I'm so getting one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back