Anyone agrees that volume makes quite a diffrence...
May 29, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #16 of 38
Also, don't forget the fact that some amp do not do well when it is on low volume. For example, for Headfive, if you turn the nob anywhere lower than 9 o'clock, the left and right channel does not share the same volume, at the same time, lost some of the detail that would be there if the volume nob is set at higher volume.
I adjust the total volume using foobar2000 and made their volume as close as they can ... but yes, the volume setting on the amp may be something that effect the sound quality also.

May 29, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #17 of 38
depends on the headphone. HD580, KSC75 Crossroads IEMs I like it LOUD. Grados, A250 and Jays IEMs I like a very quiet level.

May 29, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #18 of 38
The GCHA I am completely in love with because of it's low volume detail. It's a great DAC/AMP because I can sit here and listen to it at low levels so I can hear what goes on in my house and still have all the details I would at a higher level.

I honestly have noticed my volume level listening when using speakers and even not using the GCHA has gone down. My Ipod stays alot lower even without the GCHA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My (ongoing) quest in audio is to find a system setup that allows for maximum detail retrieval at the low end of the moderate listening level spectrum. At home, I tend to listen quite quietly (most of my dedicated listening is done before bed) so impact, bass, clarity and treble at low volumes is a must.

The Grado RS-1 has been perfect for me, since they handle low level listening about as well as they perform when ripping out the tunes.

A GCHA might be a good headphone amp for you if that's the case. I find my GCHA to be very relaxing to listen to and not fatiguing in the slightest.

May 29, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #19 of 38
Definitely - I like to listen fairly loud, and the headphones I love most seem tolerant of, if not optimized for, the higher listening levels. The L3000, JVC DX1000, HD650 sound best at higher volumes, IMO. The Qualia 010 is tolerant of high volumes and sounds great at any volume. The R10 seemed optimized for more moderate listening levels.

Remember to give your ears plenty of rest if you like the occasional loud listen, and watch the session duration!
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember to give your ears plenty of rest if you like the occasional loud listen, and watch the session duration!
biggrin.gif

Rest is a must, every time after I listen to my e4 at slightly above moderate level, and when I take them off, I got a very "relaxing" feeling with my ears.(feeling similiar to taking a rest after some exercise)
blink.gif

May 29, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #21 of 38
One element that makes an impact is that bass is harder for an amp to produce than other freqs. That is why many older amps, before equilizers were prominant, have a loudness setting on them. As you turn the volume up, the affect of the loudness setting deminishes.

Personnaly, I prefer fairly low listening levels most of the time and I judge the quality of the music source based on this. Generally, if it sounds good quiet, it will sound good loud.

May 29, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #22 of 38
Since my cans are all open, I tend to listen to them a bit louder if there is noise in the room. In any case; if I can hear more than just a tiny bit of sound from the cans when held at arms length from my ears, they are too darned loud!!

May 29, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by daltonlanny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes,
Seems that Sennheiser HD600/650's and AKG K701's "come to life" at louder volumes, and the Beyerdynamic DT880/990's sound better at lower to moderate volumes.
The Beyers can begin to sound edgy at higher levels, especially with certain types of music.

Couldn't say it better my self. I'm actually very impressed with the beyers ability to maintain all the details and bass at low volumes, my ears like it a lot!

May 29, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif
But some headphone have the ability to reproduce almost all the tiny detail to an audible level even with low volume.(especially mid bass and mid treble area)

There are even some cheap headphones I tried before that requires hearing-damaging level volume to sound "properly"
eek.gif

I was referring to "audible" being in general hearing terms, not equipment related "audible".

May 29, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone is quite diffrent in their volume preference, some like it extremely loud(to me
biggrin.gif
), I like it moderately.

IMO, most headphone makes quite a difference when the volume is turn up. Sometimes it sounds better(more detail etc), sometimes the other way around(less bass maybe?? etc).

I think maybe personal preference in volume influenced their view on a particular headphone. One might feel that the sound is better, other one might disagree with him, I think volume plays a role in here.

Anyone agrees??

of course!!

it's just a question of acoustics! if you take some dBs away from the signal, there are some frequencies that just wont be there! if you take the volume up, all of them arrives and you hear all of the almighty sounds!
biggrin.gif

of course, when you take the volume too up, if the drivers dont take it, or if your ears curve is somehow different from the "usual" you'll find a lot of differences!

Cheers!

May 29, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
depends on the headphone. HD580, KSC75 Crossroads IEMs I like it LOUD. Grados, A250 and Jays IEMs I like a very quiet level.

of course... it also depends on the HP's own frequencies response curve... ...

May 30, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #27 of 38
I generally prefer louder volume, although it does depend on the type of music that I am listening to.

May 30, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricmat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
of course!!

it's just a question of acoustics! if you take some dBs away from the signal, there are some frequencies that just wont be there! if you take the volume up, all of them arrives and you hear all of the almighty sounds!
biggrin.gif

of course, when you take the volume too up, if the drivers dont take it, or if your ears curve is somehow different from the "usual" you'll find a lot of differences!

Cheers!

Bingo!
Equal Loudness contours, aka Fletcher–Munson curves
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contours

May 30, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by D1g1talV3n0m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A GCHA might be a good headphone amp for you if that's the case. I find my GCHA to be very relaxing to listen to and not fatiguing in the slightest.

Was a fantastic listen when I got to listen to it. Very nice indeed.

May 30, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since my cans are all open, I tend to listen to them a bit louder if there is noise in the room. In any case; if I can hear more than just a tiny bit of sound from the cans when held at arms length from my ears, they are too darned loud!!

eek.gif
Then you must be listening to your music with a really low level volume
blink.gif

Cause I still can hear mine held at arms length.
blink.gif

(and I consider my volume level to be moderate only...
blink.gif
)

Everyone describe their volume differently, with my "low volume" being your "too darn loud"...

Maybe the level of volume in dB should be included when reviewing headphones
biggrin.gif
(too much work...impossible I think
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back