Anyone agrees that volume makes quite a diffrence...
May 29, 2007 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Sieg9198

100+ Head-Fier
Everyone is quite diffrent in their volume preference, some like it extremely loud(to me
biggrin.gif
), I like it moderately.

IMO, most headphone makes quite a difference when the volume is turn up. Sometimes it sounds better(more detail etc), sometimes the other way around(less bass maybe?? etc).

I think maybe personal preference in volume influenced their view on a particular headphone. One might feel that the sound is better, other one might disagree with him, I think volume plays a role in here.

Anyone agrees??

May 29, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #2 of 38
yeppers, but i'm not sure if it's my source (DAP)... or my headphones though...

May 29, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 38
It is important to take volume into account when reviewing audio equipment but an experienced and effective judge will look for differences within the same sound level.

May 29, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 38
Yes,
Seems that Sennheiser HD600/650's and AKG K701's "come to life" at louder volumes, and the Beyerdynamic DT880/990's sound better at lower to moderate volumes.
The Beyers can begin to sound edgy at higher levels, especially with certain types of music.

May 29, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #6 of 38
I'd spend some time messing with an equalizer. When I have the urge to crank things up, it's usually to hear something that I'm wanting but I'm not hearing. Since my hearing varies a bit from day to day, as does my taste in what I want to hear, often a little tweak gives me what I was missing, and I can turn the whole thing down a couple of notches, without feeling like I'm missing anything.

May 29, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #8 of 38
I think many reviewers don't take into account volume levels when reviewing things such as amps.

I read a CMOY review, where the reviewer had the sound coming from his headphone out of his iPod, to the CMOY, to his cans, and he noted how much fuller it sounded. Well why should it change the sound at all!? It's coming out of the headphone out, which completely defeats the purpose of using an external amp. All you should expect, if the amp is transparent, is an increase in volume.

May 29, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #9 of 38
Depends on how easily the headphone can reproduce details. Some headphones (such as higher-end Sennheisers with default cables) may require more volume to reproduce the same details as a headphone that is more upfront and presents details compellingly at lower volumes (IEMs IMHO).

Also FWIW I like my amps sufficiently colored.
smily_headphones1.gif
Makes them more compelling for me since they alter the sound favorably as a sort of "EQ", but I digress.

May 29, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 38
I get more resolution out of an HD650/600 when the volume is at high levels.

The RS-1 and HP2 both have great resolution at moderate volumes. They do gain more impact when the volume is turned up a bit, but not quite to the ear splitting levels necessary for the HD650/600.

I think this might be more an issue of amp synergy with the HD650/600. A more powerful amp then the PPX3 Slam would probably do them more justice at moderate volume levels.

May 29, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by daltonlanny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes,
Seems that Sennheiser HD600/650's and AKG K701's "come to life" at louder volumes, and the Beyerdynamic DT880/990's sound better at lower to moderate volumes.
The Beyers can begin to sound edgy at higher levels, especially with certain types of music.

I think these are all a result of the rest of the chain not being good enough. I believe once a system is there, everything sounds alive at both low and high volumes and it doesn't "break up" at higher volumes.

May 29, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 38
My (ongoing) quest in audio is to find a system setup that allows for maximum detail retrieval at the low end of the moderate listening level spectrum. At home, I tend to listen quite quietly (most of my dedicated listening is done before bed) so impact, bass, clarity and treble at low volumes is a must.

The Grado RS-1 has been perfect for me, since they handle low level listening about as well as they perform when ripping out the tunes.

May 29, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by daltonlanny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes,

Good points in general of the two examples, chasing mid range details and in the second chasing increased bass response within that same component chain. IME

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get more resolution out of an HD650/600 when the volume is at high levels.

The RS-1 and HP2 both have great resolution at moderate volumes. They do gain more impact when the volume is turned up a bit, but not quite to the ear splitting levels necessary for the HD650/600.

I think this might be more an issue of amp synergy with the HD650/600. A more powerful amp then the PPX3 Slam would probably do them more justice at moderate volume levels.

Volume does have its usefulness in the former case and I also agree in experience with the RS-2s, in fact they are great for low level listening and do not do much better at over moderate levels ! IME

Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think these are all a result of the rest of the chain not being good enough. I believe once a system is there, everything sounds alive at both low and high volumes and it doesn't "break up" at higher volumes.

Well yes to a point I agree, however slightly elevated than moderate listening levels still does bring the forementioned cans alive. Although, perhaps an amp and source that 89% of Head-Fiers with much better than average gear still do not have upstream, may be able to achieve at lower levels. And that is significant to note.

This points out how far reaching the gear used here makes it exceedingly difficult to get a meaning across with only words to convey our experience.

But you did nail it for me as having a handle on what will make the difference when speaking about the traits of specific cans.

Also, as was said it is very important to acknowledge volume settings of the associated gear when reviewing or arguing the traits of a specific phone.

Good topic OP,and important distinction for us all to digest!
wink.gif

May 29, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #14 of 38
The reason that higher volume sometimes has seemingly better SQ, is simply because the higher volume enables listener to hear misiing freqs or sounds (assuming no hardware limitations), that were inaudible at a lower volume -- therefore, the SQ seems "better" -- so, because "missing" sound is now audible, the SQ is "better", unless the volume reaches a point where another contained freq. causes ear pain, which ruins the whole effect, and causes lower SQ to the ears.
Elementary.
Further consider in the volume/enjoyment question:
1) Who would enjoy a live rock band, playing at barely-audible volumes?
2) Who would enjoy an orchestra or small ensemble. playing classical-type pieces, at the usual rock-band levels? (Some would! Most not)

So, volume is critical to musical enjoyment, on many levels of consideration.
Everything is relative.

May 29, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason that higher volume sometimes has seemingly better SQ, is simply because the higher volume enables listener to hear misiing freqs or sounds (duh!), that were inaudible at a lower volume -- therefore, the SQ seems "better" -- so, because "missing" sound is now audible, the SQ is "better", unless the volume reaches a point where another contained freq. causes ear pain, which ruins the whole effect, and causes lower SQ to the ears.
Elementary.

confused.gif
But some headphone have the ability to reproduce almost all the tiny detail to an audible level even with low volume.(especially mid bass and mid treble area)

There are even some cheap headphones I tried before that requires hearing-damaging level volume to sound "properly"
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back