Anyone agrees that volume makes quite a diffrence...
May 30, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
Then you must be listening to your music with a really low level volume
blink.gif

Cause I still can hear mine held at arms length.
blink.gif

(and I consider my volume level to be moderate only...
blink.gif
)

Everyone describe their volume differently, with my "low volume" being your "too darn loud"...

Maybe the level of volume in dB should be included when reviewing headphones
biggrin.gif
(too much work...impossible I think
biggrin.gif
)

Actually I do normally listen quite low compared to everyone else in my family. Either I was originally blessed with sensitive hearing, or loosing an eye as a kid helped my hearing develope to compensate, or, the lucky accident of loud static busting through while I was really straining to hear a faint signal with headphones on my Dads ham set in the late '40s leaving me with ears ringing and listening nearly impossible for about a half hour showed me the importance of protecting my hearing at a very young age.

Whatever the reason; I'm really careful to keep my hearing intact as long as I can. And the way my Grandkids talk, I can hear right now even better than they!

...and yeah; sometimes they think I'm preaching.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 30, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
turning up the volume givse hte illusion of sound quality for a second

My experience too. My C&C V2 sounds better than my Toma (at least initially) if the volume of the C&C V2 is appreciably louder than that of the Toma.

May 30, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #33 of 38
To some extent higher volume = more fun. To some extent only though. I like to listen to songs that are mostly vocal and acoustic at higher volumes, but prefer lower volume for songs with more "noise". I think EQ'ing makes a difference as well.

May 30, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #34 of 38
my ultrasones sound perfect still at the lowest volume i can hear, even if the detail isnt all throwing itself at me, i can still hear everything in the track.

May 30, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #35 of 38
With my UM1s it makes a huge difference. Everything just opens up and separates so much better when I turn them up, it's just that they become a little painful to listen to and leave my ears ringing for a few seconds after I take them out.

The other day my older brother was listening to his KSC75s and they were so ******* loud compared to what I have mine at. I think his ears are just busted though.

May 30, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To some extent higher volume = more fun. To some extent only though. I like to listen to songs that are mostly vocal and acoustic at higher volumes, but prefer lower volume for songs with more "noise". I think EQ'ing makes a difference as well.

Acoustic song really sounds great after I tuned up the volume a bit more. Song with complex instrument is better off with lower volume, if you still want your ear
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since my cans are all open, I tend to listen to them a bit louder if there is noise in the room. In any case; if I can hear more than just a tiny bit of sound from the cans when held at arms length from my ears, they are too darned loud!!

OMG, luckily I have turned down the volume quite a bit the last weeks.

Before I could hear the cans on the second floor if I had them on my listeninglevel down on the first floor!!
basshead.gif

May 30, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bingo!
Equal Loudness contours, aka Fletcher–Munson curves
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contours

exactly!!

Thanks man! it took me some work to try to put it into words, thanks!!

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back