Anybody have any experience with the Audio-Technica ES55's?
Aug 26, 2010 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sinopeus

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I've been looking for set of portable headphones with great sound quality, great isolation, and no leakage.

There are a few reviews about the AKG K450 which pretty much praise it to the heavens, but some very bad ones too.

With that in mind, I've been eyeing the ES55's; they look great, but I've barely found any reviews and I'd like some input on the sound & isolation/leakage matter.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 10
I would like to help you and perhaps I can come back for a very brief comparison with for example the AKG K450. I live in Japan right now and in some electronics stores they have headphones on display and you can plug in your own MP3 player and try them out. I have very briefly tried the ES55, but I do not remember since it only was for a few seconds and 2 or 3 months ago.
I do remember that I preferred the ES7, which I own, but that might be expected...

I might go to a big electronics store in Akihabara in Tokyo this weekend. I'll to go to the Swedish embassy to vote in the election and since I will be in Tokyo, I might as well do some "window shopping". I'll do my best in comparing the K450 and the ES55, but it might be best if you look around the internet. I know some Japanese, so I can look around for Japanese reviews and run them though an online translator...

EDIT: Well, I didn't need to look too far. There is an older thread here on Head-fi about the ES55. Here are some posts where their are described:

Post 1

Post 2

Post 3

Amusing google translation of Japanese review.

Amusing translation of Amazon reviews

A thread on Head-fi

Sep 3, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 10
Auditioned ES7 but bought ES55 because of cost issues. Definitely regret not having saved abit to get ES7 ... also bear in mind that the ES55 clamps pretty hard.

Sep 4, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 10
Well, now I have been to the electronics store. If you know something about Japanese electronics stores, however, you'd understand that it is very difficult to audition and compare headphones (unless they are completely isolating). There is so much noise in the store with music and announcements that it cuts through the music.

I bought my Kenwood MP3 player and my ATH ES7. I compared them to the ES55 and a bit to the AKG K450. If it was between the K450 and the ES55, I would choose the ES55. As Jubei says, the choice between ES7 and ES55 is more difficult. The ES55 felt slightly more bassy than the ES7.
I would rank them:
ES7
ES55
K450

Depending on your budget, you will still get a good set of headphones whichever you choose.
I am sorry for not being able to compare them more thoroughly, but then I would need more quiet than Yodobashi can offer...

Feb 24, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 10
The ath-es55 are lovely portable cans, very revealing and three dimentional........the reported clamping i keep hearing is a mystery to me, mine fit snugly and i can leave them on an hour without any bother at all.

And i have a large head too lol.

I had the sennheiser hd238 which were decent once modded(as per the foil mod here on head-fi), and i also compared them to the sennheiser hd598, and my brother akg450's.

The ES55 are my favourite overall pair, and what i find myself using the most......perfect balance of superb sound quality, looks, imho comfort, small amount of noise blocking, and lovely synergy between the can and the fiio e5/e7 which i use with my ipod 5g.

Further more i was happy with the sound from the first listen, mine only have about 20 hours on them and are only going to get sweeter.

So compared to what i have.....the only slightly better can was the hd598.

It trampled the modded hd238, and also the akg's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back