Anybody else think Grado headphones look BOSS?
Nov 20, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 33
Quote:
I agree, I'm a big fan of the Grado look, especially on the Alessandro ms2.

Oh man those are beautiful.
They're just so classy and elegant..

To get a bit off topic, whats the deal with Alessandro and Grado anyway? The Alessandro Ms1's and Grado Sr 80i's are the same right? So why do 2 different companies produce the same product?

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 33
Big fan here :)

325is - modded just a bit :wink:

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #5 of 33
Love the look, hate the feel and sound.

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 33
I do, always have. Don't think SR series or <PS500 quite capture what RS series possess, but come close enough. More is less, keep it simple yadayada etc.  

EDIT: Less is more maybe.. but hey works that way around aswell!

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #7 of 33
Grado's are one of the best examples of form following function. Very minimalistic design in both regards. 

A few simple material choices later, and they produce really good looking cans. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #8 of 33
The custom Grados, with the Magnum v.4 drivers are about the best one can get for the amount of money paid.  Custom wooden cups provide an excellent upgrade to the visual appearance as well as provide an improvement in sound quality.  Plus, one can buy a nice leather headband that is better than the original leather headbands from Grado that they supply on their higher end 'phones.  If comfort is an issue, there are many pad choices to include the Sennheiser pads, with the quarter mod performed.  The yellow pads can be dyed any color desired, or you can find them on eBay already died and modified.

Enjoy!

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #9 of 33
I like the look of the MS1i i have, though my friend thinks it looks crude
redface.gif
 (i wish it was metal like the MS2i though)

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #10 of 33
Heya,

Grados have that retro thing going on, that I really enjoy. They have that raw sound that most people love because it reminds them of their first concert. Raw, tons of feedback humming, loud, piercing, but still articulate. Grado does it.

I just wish they were not virtually all on-ear, and I wish the g-cush pads didn't essentially wreck the sound while making them comfortable (even with equalization, it's still just not the same). If Grado would produce an over-hear headphone in the prestige series line, ie, affordable, instead of all on-ear, I would be an instant customer yet again. And they definitely need to bring back gold/brass. Too much silver and black. Give us some warm metals!

Very best,

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

No pain, no gain 
wink.gif

Put KSC75-like pads underneath your bowls, you will never feel them again.

I used to use bowls all the time, but I just (today) converted myself entirely to TTVJ flat pads for good, since I realized I loved their sound the most... but I'll need to get use to their lower comfort level. In the past, I hated it them because in the long run they would become awfully irritating and almost painful.

So I will have to fight that monster when it'll come to attack me.

The look of the prestige (which you can still buy new in the form of a Alessandro MS-1, non "i") with flat pads on it, for me, is the best carrier of that petroleum colored, dirty simple, vintage looking, function-oriented headphone design.

(with the metal button grids and leather headband)

The "one" Grado headphone that I would buy if I had less money in my hands.

And special mention to that Grado headphone after which all of those who followed were designed and to the Vintage RS-1 which looks immensely good in my opinion, but since these aren't around anymore... this line shall be in a smaller font!

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #14 of 33
Anyway to make my Grado's super comfy? I've seen someone put velour pads on them(glue them to L-Cush pads) Or am I going crazy? Is this possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back