Any suggestions of Headphones(full size) for a 14 yr boy about $100
Aug 2, 2010 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bugoboo

New Head-Fier
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can suggest a good set of full size headphones for a 14 yr old boy. He listens to music that ranges from the Ramones to alternative and hip hop. I would like to spend no more than $100 with the possible suggestion on what is a good bass headphone compared to a good mids headphone for that price range at least this way I can have some kind of direction. I'm completely new to this and any guidance would be appreciate. Thanks in advance.

Aug 2, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 6
audio technica ath-m50.

for some reason, kids these days are just crazy about bass.
well, these have very nice bass response, but not to the overwhelming quantity of some of the skullcandy crap sold in stores.

they are closed, so he can wear them and not disturb others.  and they keep out a decent amount of ambient sounds...

they are sensitve and lower impedance, so he can use them with an ipod.
be not alarmed with the 1/4" plug.  it unscrews to reveal an 1/8" plug beneath.  voila.  ipod ready.

there's a straight cable and coiled cable version.  the straight cable is long.  the coiled cable is shorter, but heavier.
straight cable version is called M50S.  coiled cable version is just called M50.

welcome to head-fi.
good luck w/ the gift.

Aug 2, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks great. I was just checking out CNET and they rated the Audio Technica pretty high but it was the ATH-ANC1 model, but I will check out the M50s most likely he will prefer the straight cable. And oddly enough, he is sporting a Skull Candy headphone, but I hear from reading the threads that Skull Candy does aim the audiences to the younger crowd with the fancy graphics. Is anyone here from the GTA specifically that can suggest where I can get the Audio Technica?

Aug 2, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Thanks great. I was just checking out CNET and they rated the Audio Technica pretty high but it was the ATH-ANC1 model, but I will check out the M50s most likely he will prefer the straight cable. And oddly enough, he is sporting a Skull Candy headphone, but I hear from reading the threads that Skull Candy does aim the audiences to the younger crowd with the fancy graphics. Is anyone here from the GTA specifically that can suggest where I can get the Audio Technica?

Do you have a Guitar Center? They have them, find the best price from a authorized reseller besides ebay and amazon and they will match the price. That's what I did, trust me I once upon thought Skullcandy's were good as many people do to this day. I got both Audio Technica M50's and Alessandro MS1i's, I prefer the MS1's, they are on-ear headphones and are open. I am thinking that a fourteen year old would be listening them outside the home, which the Alessandro's leak sound and everyone will hear what you are listening to. So I would suggest Alessandro's-OPEN, and ATH-M50's-CLOSED. They will kill any Skullcandy(AKA Skull-junk)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back