Any site where I can get the RS-1 cheaper?
Nov 26, 2008 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Zombie_X

Headphoneus Supremus
I really would like to get a pair of RS-1's. I finally gave in and didn't care that I get fatigue from them, I just simply must have them. Recently I made some custom interconnects and got a decent amount of money for all the sets I made, so that's why I thought I'd get the RS-1's.

So I'm looking to get a pair for around $500ish and I found a site once that had them in that range, but after my PC crashed I lost the bookmark for it. Right now I have almost enough to buy them twice, but I'm kind of cheap and don't want to spend so much on them. So I was wondering if you guys know of a site where they are under their MSRP of $695. Even if it is around $640 i'd buy it.

I'f not, I think I'll just save up and take the plunge for the GS1000.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 20
i've never seen them listed as new in that price range before. $500-550 is "used" territory.

there have been a lot of RS-1s in the FS Forum as of late, so unless you have your heart set on one of the newer buttonless versions, this would be the best route. if hygiene is an issue for you, it only costs $15 to replace the bowls and they'll be as good as new.

also, i think "fatigue" is not something to be taken lightly. if your ears are sensitive to Grado treble, you really should consider alternatives.

Nov 26, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 20
it is available for the price you want at headphone.com. you have to use a code to reduce the price after adding it to your cart, but they make it obvious to find. i think that even if you don't type the code in, you still get it at a reduced price; i assume it's all just a formality they have to go through in order to get grado's permission to sell their headphones at lower prices

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #5 of 20
istockphoto_391262_brick.jpg

hi-fi_window.jpg

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #6 of 20
well, I remember some sellers on A-gon used to sell them new for really cheap.

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 20
I really don't know what the brick and window have to do with anything, or what they even offer to the thread itself, however my recommendation would be to buy a new pair from the guy on ebay that consistently lists new RS1's with a "buy it now" price of $550. If you use the 25% off MS Cashback offer, you will end up getting them for ~$415. A brand new RS1 for $415 is pretty damn hard to beat.

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #9 of 20
The contract Grado has with its dealers doesn't allow them to sell below the MSRP. But don't be afraid of the used ones. I bought mine used over two years ago and they're fine. You'll find them going in the $500-$550 range, unless you're hunting one of the old pairs with the brown leather headband.

Nov 27, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$590

...for a demo
rolleyes.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OP wanted it in the 500's range right? At headphone.com with the coupon it is only 69.50 off. So it comes to something like 630 dollars.
Is this right or am I missing something?

Yes, you're right. With the extra "CHEAPSHIP" code, it will bring them down to $628.50, shipped.

Dec 1, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #15 of 20
What business is it of Mr. grado if a store wants to sell the headphone at a lower cost?

Why should he care isn't he still getting his profit?

Whats the difference from selling it cheaper or dumping it in the dust bin?
Why must this concern him?

Anyways people normally do not feel comfortable buying something and paying the MSRP.
They feel comfortable if they see a discount cause they automatically assume well then its worth it.

Example HD 280 Pro is $250 USD?
And Amzon sells it for $75?

60% off? something so?

And SR 80 is $95 and Amazon sells it for $95 so everyone thinks why would I buy this piece of crap when the HD 280 clearly costs much more. (only reason its cheaper is cause there is a sale of 60% off.)

Mr. Grado really does not use his head. Or his marketing department that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back