Any Other Jiu-jitsu Players or Other Martial Artists Out-There?
May 6, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #17 of 43
I had never heard of Systema until now. After looking into it, I find it rather interesting and would like to learn it. It seems rather practical.

May 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #18 of 43
Ive taken Shotokan, Tae Kwon Do, and Judo,  I was a wrestler and high school and won state in my class 3 years in a row.  I think it's great as a discipline, however I lost interest a while ago.  

May 6, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #19 of 43
Does watching Martial Arts count! If it does I know many form's, The 5 Deadly Venom's, Druken Boxer and so on. 
wink_face.gif

May 7, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #20 of 43
I do Kung Fu currently. (Seems like im the only one doing it in head-fi right now XD ) Been at it for almost a year :) I do Shaolin Liu He Quan and Xing Yi Quan. Reason? Because im chinese and I would like to experience my own culture first hand. I like Kung Fu as an art. or u could call it a journey? the self defense is a bonus :p

May 7, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #21 of 43

Quote:
I do Kung Fu currently. (Seems like im the only one doing it in head-fi right now XD ) Been at it for almost a year :) I do Shaolin Liu He Quan and Xing Yi Quan. Reason? Because im chinese and I would like to experience my own culture first hand. I like Kung Fu as an art. or u could call it a journey? the self defense is a bonus :p

Thats the way to look at it! I haven't taken Kung Fu but I think thats the outlook all people should have on every martial art, with art being the key word.

May 7, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #22 of 43
A Glok belt in Korwrenchi.

In boot camp, one of the recruits was proficient in karate and took a defensive stand against the CC. The kid got one punch in and then got a flying lesson from the third floor of the barracks. The CC got his hands on him and strength took over.

May 7, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #23 of 43
There might be alot more martial artists on Head-Fi than I thought. I wonder if there is any way to combine the two hobbies--music and martial arts. Hmmm. Maybe by a very broad definition, martial arts is a kind of music. I believe that there are ancient ideas of what music is that would place things like math, and astronomy, and maybe wrestling as being musical. Does anyone know anything about this? 

May 7, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #24 of 43

Quote:
There might be alot more martial artists on Head-Fi than I thought. I wonder if there is any way to combine the two hobbies--music and martial arts. Hmmm. Maybe by a very broad definition, martial arts is a kind of music. I believe that there are ancient ideas of what music is that would place things like math, and astronomy, and maybe wrestling as being musical. Does anyone know anything about this? 

I trained Capoeira for 6 years and music is a huge part of the art and game. Music tells the players what style the game is to be played in and controls the pace. As well as the control of the whole game is controlled by the main instrument: the Berimbau. In the example video here, is a game style called Benguela where the movements of the players is suposed to be a constant and a very close game. It is mostly about movement control and trickery rather than pure attacks and counters. The players who are not playing in the Roda (the circle) clap and sing along with the instruments that play the songs.  

May 7, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #26 of 43
I found this video. There are some musical elements if you listen to the sound. It is 1/3 of this match between Jean Jacques Machado and Ricardo Arona.

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q37I7sYyklE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

May 10, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #27 of 43
Started with Goju-ryu in 6/64 swictched to Yang style Tai Chi in '79 and I've been doing it ever since. I was told you can't be complete in the art unless you study a healing discipline, so I got involved with Reiki in 1999. Very happy with it all, it's been everything I thought it would be tho I still can't jump across the Hudson River.
frown.gif

May 11, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #28 of 43

Quote:
My progression from a fairly early age was Karate -> Kickboxing -> Muay Thai -> Russian Systema.  Unfortunately I stopped practicing Systema 3 years ago when I moved from Toronto to San Francisco. :frowning2:  I really gotta get back into it.

Where were you training in T.O? Seriously! I want to take some classes, I only train into bar fights. 

May 13, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #29 of 43
I've practiced kickboxing and muay thai since I was around 6 or 7 years old.  I eventually moved to a more MMA style and competed in full contact for a few years,  but never used jiu jistsu and desperately tried to end my matches before it went to the ground, im a small guy so once im on the ground I have no chance of winning haha. In my late teens I took up Aikido and stuck with it ever since.  Then my leg went bad and I had to stop, hopefully after my leg heals up I can get back into practicing again, i miss it dearly

May 13, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #30 of 43

Quote:
I've practiced kickboxing and muay thai since I was around 6 or 7 years old.  I eventually moved to a more MMA style and competed in full contact for a few years,  but never used jiu jistsu and desperately tried to end my matches before it went to the ground, im a small guy so once im on the ground I have no chance of winning haha. In my late teens I took up Aikido and stuck with it ever since.  Then my leg went bad and I had to stop, hopefully after my leg heals up I can get back into practicing again, i miss it dearly

Sorry to hear about the leg problem's, that's got to suck. Hopefully it heal's up sooner than later and You can get back to one of Your passion's. I know You know that when Your on the groung size does not matter, it's execution in tying up Your opponet with the right move's and hold's. Same can be said on Your feet, if Your quicker and craftier You'll win more often than not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back