Any opinions / reviews on Gemtune APPJ PA1502A
Jul 30, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #616 of 876
@baronbeehive For the Philips 12ax7 and Mazda 12ax7, what would be a fair price to pay? I see they command a premium price, but I am interested in trying one. Thanks.

For the Philips I was lucky to pay about £30 from a UK seller so no customs charge or VAT, I would try and find something around $60. For the Mazda silver anode I think I paid around $65. I have seen them going for around $75 on Ebay by Brent Jesse who is a reputable seller and sells them on his own website for much more than this. I wouldn't pay silly money, I'm talking hundreds of dollars, just wait for one to come up at a reasonable price and NOS testing.

I would be happy to go for either of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-ECC83-1...357459?hash=item41dff6a4d3:g:lUUAAOSwmuVaX6pz

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ECC83-12AX...916737?hash=item2143a6aa01:g:1ZsAAOSw7mpbS3XB

The Philips is one of the better earlier versions from the 1950's and 1960's, with the larger ring getter and has the delta symbol indicating Philips Herleen factory Holland, and is branded Valvo which is the Philips brand for Germany. Mine is branded Mazda.

The Mazda silver anode is the same as the one I've got, there are several versions with different plate construction but I imagine they sound similar.

The Mazda has a wonderful light airy musical sounding treble to die for and a nice tight bass.

The Philips is richer sounding but with incredible extended bass and treble, both very balanced sounding.

They are quite expensive but don't forget if you don't like them you can always resell them.

Let us know how you get on, I would be interested in how they sound on your amp in comparison to mine!

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #617 of 876
According to him, he could save money going for the adapter plus 14n..

Personally I don't rate the 12AX7 very highly. I prefer the 12AT7 series, my preferred one is the little known 6211A which has a lower AF (price is cheap too, no hype attached). However after extensive trials & listening sessions I have found the 14 locktal series to be the best (adaptor required) finally settling on the 14N7 as it suits my tastes best (smooth, detailed etc). You will find a lot of different opinions though, we all have different tastes & this amp accomodates them well. Best to go back in the thread & check it out, a lot of tubes have been tried.
I personally am in agreement with everything said in this post.

Also, I do like some 9pin tubes regardless for signature, but for resolution I still believe the 14type loctals are a bit above and way cheaper.
:)

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #618 of 876
Oh no..... here we go again….. maybe I should try the 14N7's, I haven't tried them. I am in partial agreement with you about the 14F7's, great details, great tubes but slightly neutral for me as I remember. They didn't have the punch and rich sound of the Philips or the sweet addictive treble of the Mazdas.

I am still in shock over the 2 12AX7's I have, like the rest of you I rejected these tube types a while ago - some like these European ECC83 types better than the 12AX7's though - but frankly I can't see anything replacing them in my system now!

Lets see what Pratt99 thinks, in the meantime I might have to acquire those 14N7's....

:).

Edit: Hmmmm…. might have to put off the purchase, not many 14N7's around....

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #619 of 876
The transients are helped by my tube choice, with my previous favourite the TS 5751 the details were good but the transients were somewhat rounded off in that fabulous Tungsol liquid sounding way which made for great listening and they had a magical quality to the sound which no other tube had. But after hearing my latest fav tubes, the Philips 12ax7 and Mazda 12ax7, actually ECC83 since they are European made, the transients are that much sharper and more real anyway without any detriment overall SQ, and they have other qualities which raise them above others I tried IMO. I'm completely sold on these now although I've tried many good tubes on this amp.
I probably will have to check these out as you previously liked the same 5751 that I also liked.
Your different type of output tubes probably also play a part in your tube choice.
Yep its mix & match with any combo.

Jul 31, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #620 of 876
They didn't have the punch and rich sound of the Philips or the sweet addictive treble of the Mazdas.
I agree as I think most all 12*** 9pins have more harmonics over the more neutral 14loctals.

Actually I bought that one but still on my 14F7.

Jul 31, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #621 of 876
I probably will have to check these out as you previously liked the same 5751 that I also liked.
Your different type of output tubes probably also play a part in your tube choice.
Yep its mix & match with any combo.

Yes, the EL84's are said to be a bright tube, probably explains why the 12SL7 GE's were a tad sharp on this amp, but not on the other one.

Re: the Philips and Mazda 12ax7's, I think there are probably exceptions to any rule, the Amperex 12ax7 is also said to be better than most.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #622 of 876
Oh no..... here we go again….. maybe I should try the 14N7's, I haven't tried them. I am in partial agreement with you about the 14F7's, great details, great tubes but slightly neutral for me as I remember. They didn't have the punch and rich sound of the Philips or the sweet addictive treble of the Mazdas.

I am still in shock over the 2 12AX7's I have, like the rest of you I rejected these tube types a while ago - some like these European ECC83 types better than the 12AX7's though - but frankly I can't see anything replacing them in my system now!

Lets see what Pratt99 thinks, in the meantime I might have to acquire those 14N7's....

:).

14N7 @ $5.90ea

14AF7 @ $7.90ea

https://www.tubesandmore.com/search/node/14n7?in=body

14F7 @ $4.25ea

https://vacuumtubesinc.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?cat=17&q=14F7

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #623 of 876

Thanks!

When I looked on ebay there were only 2 there, both RCA's.

You're not helping me with my addiction, which I thought was cured LOL.

Just one more possibility now we are on the subject, I might get some Mullard EL84's, not that I'm not completely happy with my existing setup you understand! Just that I may push boundaries, like Maxx134 is doing. The Mullards are said to give a big soundstage, might be worth considering... but I can't really see how this could get any better.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #624 of 876
Thanks!

When I looked on ebay there were only 2 there, both RCA's.

You're not helping me with my addiction, which I thought was cured LOL.

Just one more possibility now we are on the subject, I might get some Mullard EL84's, not that I'm not completely happy with my existing setup you understand! Just that I may push boundaries, like Maxx134 is doing. The Mullards are said to give a big soundstage, might be worth considering... but I can't really see how this could get any better.

I am a big fan of NOS Mullard tubes, but that one has a different pin out, do you have adaptors?
If you go that way let us know how it compares.

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #625 of 876
OK here are some pics of my internal/external mod:

I can safely say I can place this baby next to any good quality amp and it will hold it's own in quality sound.
All areas of sound are now top notch.(detailing/depth/dimensionality/realism/micro&macro dynamics)

The only weakness was in blasting.
Like my 20ohm HEKV2, it did so, but did run out of gas at a earbleed levels of end game power.
I was still able to shake them good and with other cans it did have authoritive power.
I atribute this to the 1000uf cathode caps as suggested by member "Kryl0071".

impressive considering this amp is less than $200,
and the upgrade was around $135 in parts..

So for about $330 total plus some soldering you get upper mid-tier level sound!
Trying to track down a place to purchase the Audio Note caps. Can you tell me where you purchased yours from or where I might be able to purchase these?
Thank you.

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #627 of 876
I am a big fan of NOS Mullard tubes, but that one has a different pin out, do you have adaptors?
If you go that way let us know how it compares.

I will!

It's a power tube on my amp, not for the driver, I don't know if it would work there, I know the Russian Kobra's don't work for the power stage on my amp for example. Funnily enough the Mullard 12ax7's - ECC83's - I tried a while back weren't very good! Trouble is there are so many different Mullards, I should have tried them all.... especially the long plates, more difficult to get hold of though.

Anyway I'm happy with the Philips which braaam said he liked better than most Mullards, and Philips UK brand is Mullard anyway. There are some differences between the 2 types which mostly break down to overdriven sounds for guitarists.

Really though the soundstage is already good on my amp, it's just looking at small tweaks now which I don't know if I will bother with atm, I really am happy with it now!!

Edit: I will see if there is an adapter.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #628 of 876
Trying to track down a place to purchase the Audio Note caps. Can you tell me where you purchased yours from or where I might be able to purchase these?
Thank you.

Where are you based?

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #630 of 876

Users who are viewing this thread

Back