Any opinions / reviews on Gemtune APPJ PA1502A
Mar 6, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #586 of 876
Me too! I had no takers for my tubes which is a pity because they're only lying round here and not worth putting on ebay for what I would get for them. Never mind.

I have some that will sell for decent money on the auction site and am posting time when I have time. However, I've many more, mostly TV, tubes that are nearly worthless nowadays. I have an e-mail out to a local electronics recycler to see if they will take them for disposal if I decide to go that route. I also know of a couple of tube resellers that may take them, but I don't expect much if they do.

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #587 of 876
There is a huge gapping hole in this website because there is no "tubes for sale" thread..
Many resort to ebay because of this

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #588 of 876
...saw that you are using JJ 6v6 power tubes and it alerted me. They made my GE12SL7GTs and TS5751 sound harsh, which I reported earlier in this thread. I thought the culprit was my HD600 initially. I upgraded them to RCA 6bg6 tubes and it made a massive difference. I do suggest you change them.
The older RCA 6bg6 with double bottom getters and double wire/filament going to top pin,
they are the best Ive tried.

They not easy to find either as most other tubes have a single filament going up to top pin.

Sound is excellent, but the staging is a little shallow. Any recommendations for some clear power tubes with a deeper staging? I've got those russian 6f6c(s) or what have you
I know you resolved this, but the 6bg6 are still better,
And one powertube that had the biggest Soundstage.
It was the 6L6 type tube.
Just a touch too distant so I put them away.
Lucky I did as now switched back to them for specific reasons.

I know both Maxx and I have done comparisons of this amp to our heavily modded top performing headphone amps and we both love the APPJ
The APPJ only lacked in a bit of holography and Soundstage.
I recently aquired the Abyss Diana, which has an unreal resolve but also a more intimate presentation.
In combination with the naturally lively tube setup on the APPJ it was amazing but closer...

So I popped in my 6L6 power tubes again,
and now I have a correct soundstage presentation, with "more" holographic Soundstage than before (!) And with enough power to push the Diana.

So the bit distant 6L6 balanced out the bit forward headphone into a larger Soundstage...

Rediculous using a $200 APPJ on a $3K Headphone right?
Lol, no of you using a yggy,
And if you heard it your brain would have serious conflict how can this little amp sound so good!
:)

So now I must compare the APPJ to my main amp.

The point is that you can roll so many tube combination,
that you can adjust this amp to fit your needs for "system synergy".
Not many amps can roll both driver and power stages.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #589 of 876
The APPJ only lacked in a bit of holography and Soundstage.

Yes, my speaker APPJ is excellent, but the Little Dot excels in this. I don't have the choice of power tubes you have but no matter the Amperexe's are excellent. But I had a problem with soundstage because of the shape of my room all the sound appeared to be coming from one corner of the room so I adjusted the power tubes so that I had a stronger one on one side and that has greatly extended the soundstage to room width, and also excellent depth with the Philips tubes!

I recently aquired the Abyss Diana, which has an unreal resolve but also a more intimate presentation.
In combination with the naturally lively tube setup on the APPJ it was amazing but closer...

So I popped in my 6L6 power tubes again,
and now I have a correct soundstage presentation, with "more" holographic Soundstage than before (!) And with enough power to push the Diana.

So the bit distant 6L6 balanced out the bit forward headphone into a larger Soundstage...

As a side issue to this amp, I had a similar problem with the HE-500's which have a small soundstage and it is close up and intimate like yours however not the resolve of yours. I like the close presentation because you feel intimately involved with the music but the heaphones are musical but do not have the resolve which is a side note as to why they don't quite perform with the other amp

So now I must compare the APPJ to my main amp.

Look forward to hearing your impressions. As I've said the APPJ outperforms the Little Dot in respect of articulation - leading edges and musical liveliness atm, (there are other things I will be able to do to the other amp yet to change this though). But as you say who in their right mind would pair such a lowly amp as the APPJ with other components costing thousands.... more fool them lol.

Re: tubes I see no reason to change, I have my perfect setup with the Philips, wonderful soundstage, and the Mazdas, incredibly musical treble and taughtness, top notch sound.... amazing. The other tubes I tried all had their good points, for example the 12SL7 GE's, excellent transparency but just a little thin on this amp, other tubes were also good but nothing matches up to what I have now.

Oh BTW can I have your HEK's now that you've finished with them LOL.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #590 of 876
I have compaired the baby Appj amp to my moded Little Dot Mk8, the Edddie Current Aficionado, and the Cayin HA-300...

Those are all end game level amps.

They all have larger, more 3D soundstage,
And a slight increase in resolve.
To be honest, I was quite shocked the mini Appj amp did so dam well.
It has almost as good a resolve, but way less soundfield.

So now I am re-evaluating my tube selections, to try gain a similar soundStage.

If i had choice, I would not get the audyn cooper for coupling caps, but instead the clarity cap CMR.
Cheaper and more natural/balanced than all mundorf and more soundstage over the Audyn copper,
although the Audyn prob has more immediate mids.

Anyways, I will see if a Kt66 or 6L6 can get the soundStage back up.

So The issue with the other tubes was they were impressing us with details, while sacrificing sounstage for more closer presentation,
And thats something not as noticable with speakers or without comparisons.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #591 of 876
I have compaired the baby Appj amp to my moded Little Dot Mk8, the Edddie Current Aficionado, and the Cayin HA-300...

….
So The issue with the other tubes was they were impressing us with details, while sacrificing sounstage for more closer presentation,
And thats something not as noticable with speakers or without comparisons.

Very interesting Maxx! The soundstage issue is difficult with headphones, you want enough distance to get in the soundstage realism but not too much that you lose contact with the musical impact.

I don't know how the Jupiter caps compare with the Audyns for soundstage, all I know is that it is excellent but as you say difficult to compare with my speaker setup. I do know that with the Jupiters though the soundstage is nice and airy sounding with great resolve.

It's that good I have stopped listening to the amp and now only listen to music. When I have done direct comparisons to the LD MkVI the impressive soundstage of the LD is always immediately noticeable, separation second to none, but the APPJ is very good, extending to room width and good depth too. I haven't compared lately because I'm still waiting on a few parts for the LD which is out of action atm.

I can't give suggestions for power tubes as I still use my Amperex EL84's but I mentioned before the driver tubes I use now all the time: Philips ECC83, most 3d soundstage I've heard, and Mazda 12AX7 silver anode, very open soundstage. They're in a different league to the others IMO.

Maybe worth a try, I don't know if they increase the actual soundstage though.

I know I've said this before but what I love about the APPJ, as well as the sound, is that the transients have a tactile quality that jumps out at you that makes the presentation incredibly realistic sounding.

Edit: I wonder what those other amps have inside them regarding quality components?

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #592 of 876
the impressive soundstage of the LD is always immediately noticeable, separation second to none,
Mine is second to those two other amps I mentioned because I am using some old "vitamin Q" caps which I need to update.
They do sound nice but its time to move onto top sounding caps like Jupiter.

: I wonder what those other amps have inside them regarding quality components?
They have good quality.
One Using russian caps and other using Mundorf,
So although not top boutique level caps (no amp does) they both good enough to instead worry more about the tube selection, which is more important overall.

Like this amp as well, basically matching the tube to the amp according to how you want it to sound..

I recently got a Holo Spring Dac and it is super life-like & lively with larger soundstage which matches all these tube amps very well...

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #593 of 876
hello! got in on the massdrop deal for this amp. for $140, i think that's a good price. i'm excited and couldn't wait to get it and start modding. ETA is mid-august. Anyway, I have already bought the following:

ELNA CAP ALUM 1000UF 20% 25V RADIAL SILMIC II
Mundorf .47uf M cap supreme

I plan to listen to it for a couple of days with the stock caps then will replace them. For the tubes, i might get the tungsol KT66.

You guys still have this amp or have ya'll upgraded to something more high end? :)

Jul 24, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #594 of 876
hello! got in on the massdrop deal for this amp. for $140, i think that's a good price. i'm excited and couldn't wait to get it and start modding. ETA is mid-august. Anyway, I have already bought the following:

I plan to listen to it for a couple of days with the stock caps then will replace them. For the tubes, i might get the tungsol KT66.

You guys still have this amp or have ya'll upgraded to something more high end? :)

It's already high end (with some mods/tube rolling), only those with upgraditus would want to move on to something else.

Jul 25, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #596 of 876
Gotcha.. would you recommend a tube that will pair nicely with the kt66? 12ax7 Or a valvo e180cc? Or should i get a different set of tubes?

I'll be using hifiman he560.

Personally I don't rate the 12AX7 very highly. I prefer the 12AT7 series, my preferred one is the little known 6211A which has a lower AF (price is cheap too, no hype attached). However after extensive trials & listening sessions I have found the 14 locktal series to be the best (adaptor required) finally settling on the 14N7 as it suits my tastes best (smooth, detailed etc). You will find a lot of different opinions though, we all have different tastes & this amp accomodates them well. Best to go back in the thread & check it out, a lot of tubes have been tried.

Jul 25, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #597 of 876

Your cap choices will pit it's signature on the sweet, detailed side.
Very nice.

Gotcha.. would you recommend a tube that will pair nicely with the kt66? 12ax7 Or a valvo e180cc? Or should i get a different set of tubes?

I'll be using hifiman he560.
The HE560 was a great well rounded headphone when I owned it.
This amp should power it nicely, especially once moded brings out the bass from stock which is a bit lean.

I keep my APPJ amp as a backup amp,
and to burn in a new tube..

As its great for a small sized amp with above average performance.

Also don't buy the tung-sol KT66 bottle,
I have them and can be a tad "soft", but good soundstage.

Instead,
I have settled on the gold-lion.
Capture+_2018-07-25-23-02-30.png
Name sounds extravagant,
but it is a great reissue remake of the famous Genalex tube:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/161982192487

And has the lower heater specs of the new tubes,
Rather than the old stock kt66 with higher heater draw.

Regardless, those tubes run hotter than most all the others I have tried.
They have the largest soundstage while also retaining the clarity,
Which is hard to do without loosing presence.
My best NU 6L6 had biggest stage but suffered a touch of distance, and some "presence" loss.

The Tung-sol kt66 had as big a sounstage but suffered more in presence.

The gold-lion not only beats them out in stage, but does not suffer in presence or detailing,
But it does "add" a very slight touch of extra flavor to its sound, so it is not a neutral lean tube.

For driver tube, I am in agreement with "DavidK35" .
Although I also like some 9-pin as well for euphony.
But for resolution, I pick same driver tube 14n7 type with adapter.
Just barely fits together with those big KT66 bottles...

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #598 of 876
Added more info to tube sound above,
My other fav tubes are the very highly detailed, very old RCA 6bg6 type.
Incredibly resolving but I wanted to increase soundstage to catch up to the best amps.
I will need to upgrade my coupling caps as the audyn copper does not have end-game level soundstage. It does have a really natural and resolving sound though.

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #599 of 876
@Maxx134 i was backreading and CZ4A said that for kt66 tube, tungsol is recommended just because the draw is .9 a. Other kt66 tubes pull 1.3a.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/any...une-appj-pa1502a.780178/page-15#post-12521319

If those genalex kt66 work great and won't damage the amp, then im down to try them.

By the way, would you mind posting a link to where i can purchase the adapter to make the 14n7 fit? Also which 14n7 tube will you recommend?

I'm new to all this. I actually got the he560 v2 that was on sale a couple of days ago. I love how it sounds. Currenty pairing it with a topping d10 and a nobsound ns08. Hehe.. underpowered but i like what i hear so far.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back