Any opinions / reviews on Gemtune APPJ PA1502A
Jan 20, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #571 of 876
Do not delay.... this is worth it!!

The pic shows that the length of the Jupiter caps should allow for your Auricap/bypass cap end to end and you could take out one of those posts to make more room.

Is that a single bypass cap in parallel with Both Cathode Electrolytics?

And "worth it" is moot, lol I'm more curious than "excited" I'm speaking with my... craftsman? I'll call him, or the Electrician maybe is the better word...

Anyways, getting a quote for a set of the panasonic 1500 uF with the WIMA .47uFs 400v with Solen .1 uF bypass, as well as for the Kasai's 1000 uF 25v with the Auricap .47 and .047s

Did some digging, and I think they AuriCap XOs are the way to go. If I'm going to go with "nicer" boutique stuff, though I'm not sure what really qualifies as "boutique" for caps

Either way, the work shouldn't take long so now it's just time to wait!

Well it's done! Parts have been ordered, came to $102 q.q half the cost of the amp, but I went with AuriCaps .47 400VDC with .047 400VDC Bypasses and the Audio Note KAISEI Non-Polarized 1000 uF 25VDCs. Hopefully I'll have it back by the first/second week of Febuary.

I've also asked the guy I'm working with about addressing the socket Tension/aggravation. He's actually a restoration guy from what I can see!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #572 of 876
Is that a single bypass cap in parallel with Both Cathode Electrolytics?

And "worth it" is moot, lol I'm more curious than "excited" I'm speaking with my... craftsman? I'll call him, or the Electrician maybe is the better word...

Anyways, getting a quote for a set of the panasonic 1500 uF with the WIMA .47uFs 400v with Solen .1 uF bypass, as well as for the Kasai's 1000 uF 25v with the Auricap .47 and .047s

Did some digging, and I think they AuriCap XOs are the way to go. If I'm going to go with "nicer" boutique stuff, though I'm not sure what really qualifies as "boutique" for caps

Either way, the work shouldn't take long so now it's just time to wait!

Well it's done! Parts have been ordered, came to $102 q.q half the cost of the amp, but I went with AuriCaps .47 400VDC with .047 400VDC Bypasses and the Audio Note KAISEI Non-Polarized 1000 uF 25VDCs. Hopefully I'll have it back by the first/second week of Febuary.

I've also asked the guy I'm working with about addressing the socket Tension/aggravation. He's actually a restoration guy from what I can see!

Yes go for the Auricaps! An hours work, no more.
The Kaisei's need to be the polarized version as that is what is already in the stock version
This is how I see it could work, auricaps where I've got the Jupiters with the 2 bypasses on end connected to the Kaisei cathode caps, simple!

upload_2018-1-21_10-9-3.png

Jan 21, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #573 of 876
For the connections you need to connect the negative terminal, or outer foil lead of the bypasses to the negative terminal of the Kaisei caps. I've show you the negative terminal of the Kaisei's, You will have to find out which is the negative, or outer foil lead on the Auricaps because they keep changing them and I don't know.
Also you need to connect the terminals of the Kaisei's to the correct points on the board, your connections are different to mine so you could go back and check Maxx134's pics to see how he did it.
The coupling caps can go in any way.
Let us know how it went!

upload_2018-1-21_12-2-14.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-21_11-59-37.png
    upload_2018-1-21_11-59-37.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #574 of 876
Yea I've not listened to this bad boi since October! Hooked everything back up today and I'm kinda impressed how well it does with my AKG K240 Sextett, though I am driving High gain out of my DAC and High Gain from the amp it self. Not sure if this is rated for a 600Ohm but it's doing pretty good. JJ 6V6s Power Tubes and a Sylvania 12SL7GT Jan CHS vt289

The previous channel imbalances issues I had seem to be gone! In fact I'm really impressed with how well this handles stereo music, my K240 has a really nice cohesive sound stage! Quite impressive really. I've also reached out to a member here to have some Mods performed at a later date. I might just enjoy it stock for now since it seems to be working nicely! An check back in once said mods are complete'd.

As for parts I'm kinda set on the

ANKECAP-81784 Audio Note Kasie's that every one talks about 1000 uF an 25VDC

For the Coupling Film Caps I like what I heard from David on the
AURIXO-75911
Auricap XO .47 400VDC

My only question is about the Film Caps you guys have recommend installing in Parallel with the Electrolytic Cathodes, I saw the .047 recommendation. But I don't see film caps with the same 1000 uF 25VDC rating as the Electro's that they'd be in parallel with
Hi ,

Just saw your earlier post. Hope your caps upgrade went well! I saw that you are using JJ 6v6 power tubes and it alerted me. They made my GE12SL7GTs and TS5751 sound harsh, which I reported earlier in this thread. I thought the culprit was my HD600 initially. I upgraded them to RCA 6bg6 tubes and it made a massive difference. I do suggest you change them.

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #575 of 876
Hi ,

Just saw your earlier post. Hope your caps upgrade went well! I saw that you are using JJ 6v6 power tubes and it alerted me. They made my GE12SL7GTs and TS5751 sound harsh, which I reported earlier in this thread. I thought the culprit was my HD600 initially. I upgraded them to RCA 6bg6 tubes and it made a massive difference. I do suggest you change them.

Oh thank you! The JJ 6v6 are not permanent. Rather they are my messing around tubes, I have a set of Russian tubes that @Maxx134 recommended. An I have not yet received my amp back from the cap upgrade! Though I may have the gentle re capping and modding the amp also address those nasty tube sockets as well while he has it

Feb 5, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #576 of 876
Just got my unit back today! Arrived cold so I let it sit un powered in my office while I finish my shift at work, don't want to start it cold

received_384163632010463.jpeg

So I also installed my Russian Power Tubes [the previous Flavor of the Month lol] an I'll fire up my 12sn7 along with it here in the next 2 hours or so!
Other wise Cliff the gentleman who performed the mods did an excellent job! An I'm excited to hear it, I also just got a silver cable for my HD 800 so it should be a pretty big improvement over the last time I listened

Feb 5, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #577 of 876
Sound is excellent, but the staging is a little shallow. Any recommendations for some clear power tubes with a deeper staging? I've got those russian 6f6c(s) or what have you

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #578 of 876
Sound is excellent, but the staging is a little shallow. Any recommendations for some clear power tubes with a deeper staging? I've got those russian 6f6c(s) or what have you

I'm actually going to try another 12SL7GT, this time a 194X white Label without the nasty deposit on the top that mine has and a better matching, when I was rolling 6sn7s into my Ember that's what opened it up the most, a white Label 1940 Sylvania GT

Feb 10, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #579 of 876
Hey, good to see you've got the job done, looking great, those caps fitted perfectly!

For best sound the cable, especially if it's silver needs to be good quality, I would go for OCC silver, otherwise it can sound thin, or OCC copper if you like copper.

The power tubes are some of the best so I don't think you will get much better for soundstage. I don't know which 12SN7's you have but for driver tubes the one that stood out for me by a mile was the Philips/Mullard 12AX7 that I posted about recently, The stage was massive and incredibly detailed, and dynamic, and the most holographic I've heard. The sound may not be to everybody's taste, it is ultra powerful and realistic in the bass and mid regions and so might be a little dark sounding compared to some. I love it and it's one of my 3 top tubes now, the others being the TS5751, for well balanced smooth sound, and Mazda 12AX7 silver anode, for some of the best treble sound and open staging. I don't know about your Sylvanias, I've found them a little shallow but I know some love them, it might not be the best match with your HD800s, I don't know.

I know both Maxx and I have done comparisons of this amp to our heavily modded top performing headphone amps and we both love the APPJ, I found in some respects that the APPJ is even slightly better in some respects so there can be no doubt that the APPJ is top level post mods.

Edit: I got the Philips from here if you're interested, he's still selling them: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAZDA-ECC8...=item590715e876:g:ef4AAOSw9idZ~bpq&rmvSB=true

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #580 of 876
I'll check out the Philips, I usually like Octals and find them to be pretty open especially compared to smaller 9pin, but I'll give a 9pin a shot for sure

An yes! With mods it really opens up, I'm pretty impressed. My little Ember II is no longer on HD 800 duty, it's been left with my LCD 2.

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #581 of 876
Hey, good to see you've got the job done, looking great, those caps fitted perfectly!

For best sound the cable, especially if it's silver needs to be good quality, I would go for OCC silver, otherwise it can sound thin, or OCC copper if you like copper.

The power tubes are some of the best so I don't think you will get much better for soundstage. I don't know which 12SN7's you have but for driver tubes the one that stood out for me by a mile was the Philips/Mullard 12AX7 that I posted about recently, The stage was massive and incredibly detailed, and dynamic, and the most holographic I've heard. The sound may not be to everybody's taste, it is ultra powerful and realistic in the bass and mid regions and so might be a little dark sounding compared to some. I love it and it's one of my 3 top tubes now, the others being the TS5751, for well balanced smooth sound, and Mazda 12AX7 silver anode, for some of the best treble sound and open staging. I don't know about your Sylvanias, I've found them a little shallow but I know some love them, it might not be the best match with your HD800s, I don't know.

I know both Maxx and I have done comparisons of this amp to our heavily modded top performing headphone amps and we both love the APPJ, I found in some respects that the APPJ is even slightly better in some respects so there can be no doubt that the APPJ is top level post mods.

Edit: I got the Philips from here if you're interested, he's still selling them: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAZDA-ECC8...=item590715e876:g:ef4AAOSw9idZ~bpq&rmvSB=true

As for my silver, yes it is indeed OCC Silver

I'll check out the Philips, I usually like Octals and find them to be pretty open especially compared to smaller 9pin, but I'll give a 9pin a shot for sure

An yes! With mods it really opens up, I'm pretty impressed. My little Ember II is no longer on HD 800 duty, it's been left with my LCD 2.

Speaking of driver tubes, I just got my replacement 12SL7GT Sylvania, and holy smokes I think this is genuinely New old stock, the silk screen print is phenomenally clear there's even the little anchor on the rear of the base, no grey deposits up top either! An holy MOLY does this thing scream!!! I'm giving mile's davis a listen an WHOA mamma... the horns really reach out an grab you... everything I like about a 40s white label Sylvania Octal lol, going to let it warm up a little more then swap back into my previous driver tube to see if there's any real difference

Feb 13, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #582 of 876
Other wise Cliff the gentleman who performed the mods did an excellent job!
Yeah that is a really nice neat job!

The power tubes are some of the best so I don't think you will get much better for soundstage.
I agree and settled on my choice of power tube.
But if you want a larger Soundstage which is also very refined and excellent, go for the huge 6L6 type .
I found them good but a bit too laid back for me.

Feb 25, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #583 of 876
I've discovered another reason I like this amp - it can bias and operate with some very weak preamp tubes. I have an authentic Telefunken ECC803S in my tube stash that tests extremely weak for emissions on my tube tester. Like, almost dead. It works great in the APPJ and sounds just as sweet as its reputation suggests!

Mar 3, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #584 of 876
I've hopped onto the 6BG6 bandwagon. I bought and finished building a pair of 6BG6 to 6L6 adapter kits from SND Tube Sales, then scrounged up a pair of strong-testing Tung-Sol 6BG6Gs from my stash. One is relabeled for Emerson and the numbers don't match, but after a couple of listening sessions swapping the tubes from side to side I'm not hearing a difference between the two. But wow, do they sound good with the Telefunken ECC803S driver! This combination is extremely detailed with some nice bass punch. The 6BG6s are quiet too, which hasn't always been my experience with Coke bottle shaped and top cap tubes. Some of my Coke bottle tubes are rather microphonic, and the plate wire on the 6F8G to 6DJ8 adapter for my Project Sunrise acts like an EMI antenna. Not the case with the Tung-Sols.

25716415597_e8435790d7_c.jpg

I have the parts to make an Loctal-to-octal adapter, so that will likely be my next project for this amp. However, I need to start selling off tubes first; I have waaaay too many!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #585 of 876
I've hopped onto the 6BG6 bandwagon. I bought and finished building a pair of 6BG6 to 6L6 adapter kits from SND Tube Sales, then scrounged up a pair of strong-testing Tung-Sol 6BG6Gs from my stash. One is relabeled for Emerson and the numbers don't match, but after a couple of listening sessions swapping the tubes from side to side I'm not hearing a difference between the two. But wow, do they sound good with the Telefunken ECC803S driver! This combination is extremely detailed with some nice bass punch. The 6BG6s are quiet too, which hasn't always been my experience with Coke bottle shaped and top cap tubes. Some of my Coke bottle tubes are rather microphonic, and the plate wire on the 6F8G to 6DJ8 adapter for my Project Sunrise acts like an EMI antenna. Not the case with the Tung-Sols.

25716415597_e8435790d7_c.jpg

I have the parts to make an Loctal-to-octal adapter, so that will likely be my next project for this amp. However, I need to start selling off tubes first; I have waaaay too many!

Me too! I had no takers for my tubes which is a pity because they're only lying round here and not worth putting on ebay for what I would get for them. Never mind.

Glad to see people here still enjoying this little miracle! Mine is here for keeps. Why spend big bucks when you've got this!

I like the look of your amp, the fact that the 2 tubes are slightly different size gives it character lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back