Any old fart head-fi'ers still around?
Jul 14, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #271 of 828
I seem to have lost a lot of posts at some point. Probably the software changeover. I think I had 12,000 or so. Well, if I stick around long enough, they'll be up there again, Joe! Good to hear from you!

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #272 of 828
Still alive over here, but still have a bum ear and tinnitus due to a inner ear infection a while back- no, not due to headphone listening! But yeah it makes audiophile-level listening a moot point.

Still have the Tower of Power, but I gave it to my dad as his retirement gift. Now he gets to groove with the Darth Grados, the Maestrobated Melos SHA-Gold, that turntable and external DAC I forgot the name of, the OPPO universal player as transport...

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #273 of 828
Still alive over here, but still have a bum ear and tinnitus due to a inner ear infection a while back- no, not due to headphone listening! But yeah it makes audiophile-level listening a moot point.

Still have the Tower of Power, but I gave it to my dad as his retirement gift. Now he gets to groove with the Darth Grados, the Maestrobated Melos SHA-Gold, that turntable and external DAC I forgot the name of, the OPPO universal player as transport...

Sorry to hear that Jahn. Any treatment you can take? I had horrible tinnitus for two years, but three years of caution and my ears are very good now and tinnitus no longer an issue. "Masetrobated Melos SHA-Gold" ah, those were the days. Wow, coming back to this place is a real nostalgia trip.  I'm sure you dad is loving that set up!

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #274 of 828
Well some inner ear stuff got messed up so it's not just tinnitus, it's also high frequency hearing, so loud or harsh sounds make music sound like a broken megaphone, not fun. Yep those days are over. But hey, I'm still slinging HD25-1 pros to work but these days I don't stand out as much, being surrounded by Beats by Dre. Sometimes I don't even have music on, they act like protection from subway screeches haha.

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #275 of 828
I feel for you Jahn.  I hope one day it will slowly get better and your hearing will return to normal.  I'm not sure if someone else has already eclipse your post count.  

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #277 of 828

Great to hear from you Jahn, it been a while. Sorry to hear about your ear infection, but glad you haven't totally disappeared. The Tower of Power, who can ever forget that setup.

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #278 of 828
Sometimes I don't even have music on.

You know you're a headphone fanatic when you get to the point you just feel better with them on... even sans music! 
wink_face.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #279 of 828
I feel for you Jahn.  I hope one day it will slowly get better and your hearing will return to normal.  I'm not sure if someone else has already eclipse your post count.  

I'm really glad to see Jahn posting again, not just because he is a great guy, but because I do not want to exceed his post count :D

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #280 of 828
MDR-CD3000 - the one headphone that I truly wanted, that always eluded me...

That being said, had two pairs of CD1700s, loved them, sold them, regretted it - Old school Sony is definitely better than new school
frown.gif

Anything new Sony is worse than... anything. Apart from cameras, it's one of the few, if not only, things they can still do well (possibly because it's the last major thing they got into? I dunno, don't care, almost Sony-free everywhere now).

But I also think old-school Sony was overrated once you got much beyond ~£100.

Is there anyone still inflicting a Qualia on themselves?
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #281 of 828

Anything new Sony is worse than... anything. Apart from cameras, it's one of the few, if not only, things they can still do well (possibly because it's the last major thing they got into? I dunno, don't care, almost Sony-free everywhere now).

evil_smiley.gif

Still got them.  With the right amp they are nearly on par with the Stax SR-009 with BHSE.

Jul 19, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #282 of 828

evil_smiley.gif

Sony's have really bad customer service too. A total opposite of Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic when it comes to service. My new ma900 that sounded distorted out of the box were never replaced or fixed because sony refuses to help.

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #284 of 828

evil_smiley.gif

I still have mine ,loving them with my modded Cary 300sei,The Ec ZD also does a good job with them.

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #285 of 828
  Still got them.  With the right amp they are nearly on par with the Stax SR-009 with BHSE.

It's been so long, I'd forgotten what Qualia look like. Checked out some photos on Google. BEAUTIFUL. One of the ultimate industrial designs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back