Any love for the Activo CT10?
Dec 11, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #467 of 609
I get the same error message from the direct download of the Spotify app. Let me discuss with our dev team and do a bit more research and get back to you.
Hi Jason, I don't know about the universal version, but a new variant released yesterday, 8-5-88-883 seems to work - so very happy about that! Thanks for your willingness to investigate and respond though. Best wishes, Ken.

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #468 of 609
Hi Jason, I don't know about the universal version, but a new variant released yesterday, 8-5-88-883 seems to work - so very happy about that! Thanks for your willingness to investigate and respond though. Best wishes, Ken.
Thank you for letting me know. I will test it out later today.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 11, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #469 of 609
Hi @JasonNYC,

I sent you DM but maybe I'll get answer quicker here. I recently purchased CT10 and loving the device, features and sound quality.

I have issues with wifi spead while streaming / downloading songs. I've tested both Tidal and Qobuz and player simply stops playing after 30 sec or so when streaming. Songs take forever to download but eventually they are downloaded. My broadband is fast and everything works fine on my other devices like iPhone and iPad.

Could you let me know is this known issue or is there something wrong with the device?

Thanks.

Dec 13, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #470 of 609
Thank you for letting me know. I will test it out later today.
Hi Jason
Radio Paradise is one of the most popular internet radio stations for rock worldwide. They have created as specific apk file that works superbly on my LG android phone. Any chance of asking your development colleagues to look at compatibility/approval for use with the CT10 please?

Dec 14, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #471 of 609
Hi @JasonNYC,

I sent you DM but maybe I'll get answer quicker here. I recently purchased CT10 and loving the device, features and sound quality.

I have issues with wifi spead while streaming / downloading songs. I've tested both Tidal and Qobuz and player simply stops playing after 30 sec or so when streaming. Songs take forever to download but eventually they are downloaded. My broadband is fast and everything works fine on my other devices like iPhone and iPad.

Could you let me know is this known issue or is there something wrong with the device?

Thanks.
I apologize that I missed your PM. I would recommend trying a settings reset to see if that fixes your wi-fi issues. To perform a settings reset - Settings -> System Reset -> Settings reset. Please note, this will reset all settings on the player to factory default, but WILL NOT erase any tracks currently saved on the device. It will, however, erase any offline content downloaded from streaming apps. Once the player restarts, it will perform a media scan which can take up to 15 minutes, depending on the number of files in internal memory and on microSD card.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 14, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #472 of 609
Hi Jason
Radio Paradise is one of the most popular internet radio stations for rock worldwide. They have created as specific apk file that works superbly on my LG android phone. Any chance of asking your development colleagues to look at compatibility/approval for use with the CT10 please?
Radio Paradise has been highly requested and I have passed the recommendation onto our dev team to add it to the whitelisted apps. No ETA on when that will happen at the moment.

Dec 14, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #473 of 609
I apologize that I missed your PM. I would recommend trying a settings reset to see if that fixes your wi-fi issues. To perform a settings reset - Settings -> System Reset -> Settings reset. Please note, this will reset all settings on the player to factory default, but WILL NOT erase any tracks currently saved on the device. It will, however, erase any offline content downloaded from streaming apps. Once the player restarts, it will perform a media scan which can take up to 15 minutes, depending on the number of files in internal memory and on microSD card.

Many thanks for your reply. I'll test this later although it might not fix the issue as I got replacement device and it has slow wifi too. I have tried in two different wifi networks with two different devices and it just is very slow.

I'd have a feature request if you could forward to dev team. BBC Sounds app doesn't seem to be supported, BBC iPlayer Radio was but that app is now discontinued in UK. Hope BBC Sounds could be supported in future.

Thanks for all the help and support. Much appreciated.

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #474 of 609

Hi Ken and Jason,

I'm a newbie here, but very recently got the brill CT10 😀 👍🎅

Have also been running in to the same apk issues.

Only the Amazon Music apk has been successfully installed.

Tune-in, Spotify and anything else gets either a parsing error message or doesn't even show up on the player, despite the apk file being dragged to the right folder, which is quite frustrating to say the least.

I really wish Activo could update their website and be a bit active in supporting this part of the device a bit more.

I also read that it was only 32bit versions of the apks that the Activo supports....

Going to try the Spotify version you mention, but it would be great if you could let us know the actual varient you got working 👍👍🙂

Really also need a working radio apk to work. This would complete an already great package of a device 😀 👌

Thanks in advance and please to be part of the community 👍🙂☃️

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #475 of 609
Hi Sxxychoc,

To be honest although I like the sound of my CT10, trying to use it with Spotify is driving me insane. I got variant 8-5-88-883 (released Dec 10th) installed OK and all appeared good until I tried to persuade it to save downloaded playlists to the SD card instead of the internal storage - and then the fun began. If you're lucky (and luck seems to be involved - as there doesn't seem to be a consistent result from a given set of actions) the SD card (brand new SanDisk 256G) will show up as an option for downloads in Spotify settings (although often it won't). Having a freshly erased SD card and nothing already saved anywhere in Spotify seems to increase your chances. If you select save to SD card, it will then tell you it's transferring existing data etc to the SD card. After a couple of minutes, you usually get an error message that 'We couldn't move your data' and 'Unfortunately Spotify has stopped'. If you come back into it again, the SD card has vanished from settings (although a set of spotify folders and files will have been written to the card). On a couple of occasions this hasn't happened and Spotify has restarted, and the SD card is showing as the storage for downloads and everything seems to be wonderful. Until you actually try downloading something. The first time it downloaded 6 songs before displaying a 'Waiting to download' message which just went on forever. The next two times it just went straight to the 'waiting to download' message without actually downloading anything (the first of which was accompanied by a buzzing through the headphones on top of any music you played, but not the second). If you stop Spotify and start again at this point, the SD card disappears again from settings. I just tried another SD card erase and reinstall of Spotify - but am back to the 'Unfortunately Spotify has stopped' error. I even erased Spotify from my phone just to ensure the only downloading to three devices rule wasn't coming into play. I'm running out of ideas of things to try other than waiting for a new Spotify apk or a new CT10 firmware release and hoping things improve. I could use Spotify and only download to the internal storage, but that takes a fair chunk out of my reasons for buying it.

Hope you have better luck. Ken.

Dec 15, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #476 of 609
Hi Sxxychoc,

To be honest although I like the sound of my CT10, trying to use it with Spotify is driving me insane. I got variant 8-5-88-883 (released Dec 10th) installed OK and all appeared good until I tried to persuade it to save downloaded playlists to the SD card instead of the internal storage - and then the fun began. If you're lucky (and luck seems to be involved - as there doesn't seem to be a consistent result from a given set of actions) the SD card (brand new SanDisk 256G) will show up as an option for downloads in Spotify settings (although often it won't). Having a freshly erased SD card and nothing already saved anywhere in Spotify seems to increase your chances. If you select save to SD card, it will then tell you it's transferring existing data etc to the SD card. After a couple of minutes, you usually get an error message that 'We couldn't move your data' and 'Unfortunately Spotify has stopped'. If you come back into it again, the SD card has vanished from settings (although a set of spotify folders and files will have been written to the card). On a couple of occasions this hasn't happened and Spotify has restarted, and the SD card is showing as the storage for downloads and everything seems to be wonderful. Until you actually try downloading something. The first time it downloaded 6 songs before displaying a 'Waiting to download' message which just went on forever. The next two times it just went straight to the 'waiting to download' message without actually downloading anything (the first of which was accompanied by a buzzing through the headphones on top of any music you played, but not the second). If you stop Spotify and start again at this point, the SD card disappears again from settings. I just tried another SD card erase and reinstall of Spotify - but am back to the 'Unfortunately Spotify has stopped' error. I even erased Spotify from my phone just to ensure the only downloading to three devices rule wasn't coming into play. I'm running out of ideas of things to try other than waiting for a new Spotify apk or a new CT10 firmware release and hoping things improve. I could use Spotify and only download to the internal storage, but that takes a fair chunk out of my reasons for buying it.

Hope you have better luck. Ken.

I've had similar issues with Qobuz using external storage as an option. Sometimes app changes storage by itself from external micro sd card to internal memory. Downloaded tracks are still in card though and after several tries I managed to change setting back to external card. Previously I also tried moving files from internal to external memory in Qobuz app but syncing didn't work, just like you mentioned.

It's a shame as the player is great and this offline functionality is the one I'd needed the most. At least it works in some level for me but it is buggy.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #477 of 609
Hiya Ken,

Thanks for getting back and going over the delightful experience you're having with Spotify 👍😉

I've given up on Spotify for now, until a fix can be confirmed.

Doing great with the sheds load of music I have and luckily the working Amazon Music app.

By the way, is the EQ 'broken?....just hearing any sound change when I tinker with it.

Would be great to have the Vradio app working on the device 👍

Will keep an eye out if I hear anything, and thanks again for the feedback 🙂 👍

Dec 15, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #478 of 609
It really is a great little device. I can push the volume up with no distortion, but doing the same via my Note 9 ends up sounding like a car crash 🤣

Would love if they allowed compatibility with certain headphone apps from the likes of Sony, Bose, B&W, B&O and Sennheiser. That would be the icing on the cake.....open up android a bit more...Google Play access.....but only for 4 apps at a time so as not to slow the device down or impact on its sound prowess.

I wonder if I can connect it to my smart watch in order to control playback.....

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #479 of 609
Hiya Ken,

Thanks for getting back and going over the delightful experience you're having with Spotify 👍😉

Doing great with the sheds load of music I have and luckily the working Amazon Music app.

By the way, is the EQ 'broken?....just hearing any sound change when I tinker with it.

Glad you're enjoying it with Amazon Music - I also had a weird experience with them, only half the music I'd every bought with Autorip over the years was showing up. I contacted the Amazon technical help, who seem puzzled and kept passing it up a level. Eventually the missing music did reappear in my account, but the half that had already been there was now gone. At that point I gave up - maybe I'm just cursed?

There's a happy if not perfect and slightly bizarre ending to my CT10 vs Spotify story. As an experiment I tried swapping the new large Sandisk sd card with a smaller Samsung one in use in an old Sony DAP. The Sandisk card works fine in the Sony player whilst Spotify is happy to download onto the Samsung card - no idea why that should be. It means I'll only get about a quarter of the music I was hoping to store on the CT10 on there, but with a bit more active library management I'll be close to what I was hoping for!

Haven't had a fiddle with the EQ yet - the out of the box balance sounds pretty right to my ear from what I've listened so far.

Good luck making the most of your CT10. Ken.

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #480 of 609
Hiya Ken,

Hi There,

Was running into the same issue as you. I made an account here just to tell you I got it fixed with the latest spotify version working.

This is the apk file you would need: https://easyupload.io/qxteth

When i have extra time, i will mention the steps on getting the actual download. (it was not from APK Pure or the Spotify Universal Downloader). Please let me know if this works!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back