Any impressions of the Audio-Technica CKM99? (AT's new flagship dynamic driver IEM)
Jan 14, 2011 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mugen3

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new pair of IEMs to buy and the CKM99s seem interesting. Being Audio-Technica's new flagship dynamic driver IEMs, I thought that a lot of people would get them, but oddly there don't seem to be any reviews about them anywhere, even though they've been out for a few months now. Does anyone here own the CKM99s and can share some thoughts about them please?

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 14
They didn't come out too long ago, so there shouldn't be too many people with them outside of Japan. The CKM77 looks promising as well, and if they follow the sound signature of the CKM55 with added resolution, texture, and better neutrality, they should be pretty nice.

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 14
What's with the left channel/right channel in the FR graph? Is it talking about the left and right earpieces? 
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #5 of 14
Found some reviews/impressions. But I have no clue what they're saying. Online translators are terrible. Anyone here happen to know how to read Japanese and can translate?

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ride_on_go/27763080.html

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/np/20101227_417619.html (also has impressions on the ATH-EC707 and ATH-CM707 earbuds, and the lower level CKM77)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/product-reviews/B0046JS1HA/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 14
I happened across the CKM77 yesterday and while they were nice, they didn't absolutely wow me. It definitely felt like a product that was de-tuned for price point, from the build to the sound. It was handsome and light, with real aluminum parts, but the mix with the ballistic plastic felt a little off. By comparison, the CKM99 should have more use of titanium. The bass is very nice and measured with good enough impact. but in typical Audio-Technica fashion the treble was a little too shrill for my tastes. Definitely better in terms of SQ compared to the CKS90 though. By comparison, the CKS90 sounds recessed, although it does have that massive bass in line with the Solid Bass series. Oh, and the isolation isn't too good. IEMs of this type of design tend not to have to best isolation, but I suspect that it's actually vented from the looks of the casing.

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 14
Hey, nice post. Can you compare the CKM77 to other IEMs that you've heard/owned? Your impressions have got me trying to figure out how they stack up against other IEMs. It'll also give me an idea on how good the CKM99 might be.

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 14
It's hard to describe, since they weren't really like any of the IEMs I've owned or auditioned at length. They're very bright, just like the Audio Technica house sound. I wish I'd heard the CK10 before to be able to give a comparison. Overall, I'd say that the character is balanced, but I don't feel a lot of weight to the sound, even with the well-textured bass. I don't really want to give too definitive impressions on the midrange and treble, because the pair I tried didn't feel very broken in, and thus everything seemed a tad bid grainy on the high end. Resolution was decent, but I wouldn't say they were top tier. The mids were actually not all that forward, although they weren't recessed in any way.

Like most Audio-Technica products (discounting their flagships), the CKM77 fits within the designated price bracket, but doesn't really rise to the absolute top. Take that with a grain of salt, however, since I tend to find their headphones fatiguing because of the colored treble, and you may like it better. Also, the jump to the CKM99 may be quite large, since it is nearly twice the price, so the CKM77 may not be the best indicator. It's not like the CKS70/90, where the price bump is only incremental, and expectedly the bump in SQ was also only minor.

I hope you'll be able to find a CKM99 to listen to; I'd be very curious myself. :)

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 14
Thanks a lot for the impressions. So it seems like the CKM77 are rather ordinary for the price. But yeah I agree, the CKM99, being double the price, may be something quite nice.

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 14
The L/R channels show channel imbalance, if any. No driver is perfectly mated to its other half, but they can be very close. Caution about graphs: every manufacturer has different ways of measuring their own earphone responses. Look at ETY's graphs for the ER4P, they are different to that of the graphs posted above. Slight movements of the earphones in the acoustic coupler, or the acoustic head will yield pretty significant differences. So too will mics and mic amps. 

Graphs are good only for reference by the same equipment, and even then, should really be taken as an overall general impression rather than a proper telling example. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back