Any idea on how to fix the dent on my AD700 grill?
May 23, 2011 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Gorgatron

100+ Head-Fier
I dropped it on the floor twice actually, the first time did the dent but second time did not. Here is a pic.

May 23, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 23
You can remove the grilles and push them back into shape. Remove the pads, you will see the four screws, remove them you can access the driver and the grilles and such.

May 23, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 23

So on the right cup remove those 2 screws, then i can remove the cup, fix grill, screw back in place?
Quote:
You can remove the grilles and push them back into shape. Remove the pads, you will see the four screws, remove them you can access the driver and the grilles and such.

May 23, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 23
There's four screws you need to remove per cup.

May 23, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 23
I've taken apart my AD700 loads of time, just for fun actually.

It's really quite simple, and you really don't need instructions to do so. Just do one thing at a time, and it will be easily apparent as you proceed through the steps. But I believe after you unscrew the cup from the headphone itself, you'll see the foam and finally the grill. Just remove the foam, fix the dent in the grill (watch out, the grill isn't attached, yet can be put back on if you pop it out), and then reverse steps and put everything back together. Don't worry, it's a lot easier than it sounds.

May 23, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 23

I unscrewed the right cup and im curious where to go next.
Quote:
I've taken apart my AD700 loads of time, just for fun actually.

It's really quite simple, and you really don't need instructions to do so. Just do one thing at a time, and it will be easily apparent as you proceed through the steps. But I believe after you unscrew the cup from the headphone itself, you'll see the foam and finally the grill. Just remove the foam, fix the dent in the grill (watch out, the grill isn't attached, yet can be put back on if you pop it out), and then reverse steps and put everything back together. Don't worry, it's a lot easier than it sounds.

May 23, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 23
Have you removed it yet? Once the screws are gone, you should be able to detach the earcup and see the grill. I may be forgetting a step, but if you are still having trouble, I'll go take mine apart.

May 23, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 23
I removed the two screws so the cup comes out but I'm not sure what to take out next to get to the grill. The cup is still attached by the wire of course.

Quote:
Have you removed it yet? Once the screws are gone, you should be able to detach the earcup and see the grill. I may be forgetting a step, but if you are still having trouble, I'll go take mine apart.

May 23, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 23
After removing the screw, GENTLELY put the plastic part that holds the earpads away from the frame of the earcup. Be very careful here, you can rip off the wires connecting to the driver (you can resolder it but still just be careful). After that you should be able to reach the grilles from the inside.

May 23, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:
After removing the screw, GENTLELY put the plastic part that holds the earpads away from the frame of the earcup. Be very careful here, you can rip off the wires connecting to the driver (you can resolder it but still just be careful). After that you should be able to reach the grilles from the inside.

Ah, I knew there was a step I was forgetting. Thanks for filling in.

May 23, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 23

I am so lost at this part. None of this makes any sense and I don't want to mess up.
Quote:
Ah, I knew there was a step I was forgetting. Thanks for filling in.

May 23, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #13 of 23
I am so lost at this part. None of this makes any sense and I don't want to mess up.

You have taken apart the outer frame and the driver housing right? I think you did as you seen the wires inside, so to continue, you need to remove the foam. Note that I don't own any AD lineup that have foamed grilles so I have no idea if they are fixed on the AD700, but I don't think they are so try to remove the foam, then you should see bare purple grille.

May 23, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #14 of 23

No all I did was unscrew the 2 screws from the headband.
Quote:
Quote:

You have taken apart the outer frame and the driver housing right? I think you did as you seen the wires inside, so to continue, you need to remove the foam. Note that I don't own any AD lineup that have foamed grilles so I have no idea if they are fixed on the AD700, but I don't think they are so try to remove the foam, then you should see bare purple grille.

May 23, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #15 of 23
The headband? What on earth are you doing?

Step 1: Take off the earpad.
Step 2: Unscrew the four screws around the edge.
Step 3: Once unscrewed, the earcup will easily come off. Remove it and set it close to the side (wires are attached here).
Step 4: Remove the disc of foam that is resting on top of the grill.
Step 5: You now have access to the grill. You can remove it from the frame tp fix it if you'd like.
Step 6: Reverse the steps to put it back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back