Any Flat Pad Fans Still Out There?
Oct 17, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #16 of 51
i really want to try some flats with my RS-2s, but $55 from TTVJ for a couple pieces of foam makes me sad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kintsaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have always used Sennheiser pads with all my Grados.
Try them, they are very interesting. Flat or bowl, foam or
leather for better bass and/or treble.

I discovered them when I tried to find a long lasting and reasonably priced alternative to the very short lasting low quality Grado foams.

RS-1 Grado pads = A Great Disgrace to John

specifically which Sennheiser pads are you referring to?

Oct 17, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #17 of 51
hmm, i've had no problems with bowls on my 80's or 325i's... i'm interested to see how the flats sound/feel. the bowls are comfortable enough for me.

i tried the sennheiser pads and thought they were extremely uncomfortable. they made my ears throb after a few minutes as opposed to making the edges of my ears hurt a little after an hour with bowls

i'm guessing the flats are more comfortable...

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #19 of 51
PhaedrusX;4869661 said:
i really want to try some flats with my RS-2s, but $55 from TTVJ for a couple pieces of foam makes me sad.

The last time I looked they were $35.00/pair. If you like the sound though, it's the best upgrade money can buy for Grados.

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Flats all the way except on the PS1/HF1/GS1K which needs their stock ones to shine.

I have to disagree on the HF-1. I think the flats really improve that phone. Balancing it also helped.

EDIT: Also, just need to add that flats are $35.00 from Todd.

Oct 19, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

PhaedrusX,
I do not know the Sennheiser model number for the pads I use on my Grados.. I will post pictures when I get a chance

Canary yellow 414

Oct 19, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #26 of 51
yes now i remember 414 so one down two to go.
The other two are both circular not eliptical, letherette made. One is a small diameter that fits the 325 and
with some stretcing the rs-1. The other is a larger diameter thet can be superimposed on the smaller one and this makes the rs-1 circumaural along with a deeper cavity and enhances the highs and thins the lows because of leakage through the thin gap left between the two. If the gap is sealed then you have a most comfortable can with better stage, bass and sweeter
highs even at loud levels. All in all an order of magnitude better than the stock and not an embarasing
el cheapo "one time use" yet 700$ can.

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #28 of 51
Decided to give flats another go on my RS1. Nice thing about them is that they allow me to turn off the bass boost on my receiver, providing a more balanced sound in addition to the louder, more up front signature of the flats. Much more noticeable when watching movies. Guess I'll be sticking to these for awhile.

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #29 of 51
donlin;4873053 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The last time I looked they were $35.00/pair. If you like the sound though, it's the best upgrade money can buy for Grados.

$35 + $20 shipping = sad

opinions seem pretty divided on flats vs bowls, but based on some other pads i tried, i have a feeling the flats might be right for me.

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

yes now i remember 414 so one down two to go.
The other two are both circular not eliptical, letherette made. One is a small diameter that fits the 325 and
with some stretcing the rs-1. The other is a larger diameter thet can be superimposed on the smaller one and this makes the rs-1 circumaural along with a deeper cavity and enhances the highs and thins the lows because of leakage through the thin gap left between the two. If the gap is sealed then you have a most comfortable can with better stage, bass and sweeter
highs even at loud levels. All in all an order of magnitude better than the stock and not an embarasing
el cheapo "one time use" yet 700$ can.

yes, i knew about the 414 pads. i was more curious about the leather ones you were referring to.
thanks, and look forward to the pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back