Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
May 15, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #4,276 of 6,444
I just finished Ichiban Ushiro no Daimou, Highschool of the Dead, and Chrome Shelled Regios the other night and am about done with Nurarihyon no Mago. All where pretty good though I was a little disappointed with Highschool of the Dead when it progressed to almost nothing but fanservice with zombies. I've been keeping up with Beelzebub, it has some great comedy moments. Fairytail is probably next on my list. You know it is sad when you have an Excel database to keep track of what you have watched.

May 16, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #4,278 of 6,444
One of these days maybe I'll actually watch Gundam...any Gundam.  I think the fandom surrounding it made me avoid it.  I used to work inventory planning for a bunch of stores that sold Gundam models, so the overall popularity always kinda blew my mind.

May 17, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #4,280 of 6,444
I just finished watching season 1 of Spice and Wolf and I am amazed. It had excellent plot, and the characters were very well developed. If my profile pic is enough to show its my new favorite anime. It's miles better then my old favorite Elfen Lied. But these are 2 different kind of shows. I am waiting for the second season to be released in English so i can watch it. Don't judge me but i started the series dubbed and would like to finish it dubbed.

May 17, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #4,281 of 6,444
Quote:
Most recent show I finished was After War Gundam X which I enjoyed.

haha.. I've been given it up during progress two times before finally start it all-over and finish it, pretty hard to stand with the old graphics now ==
Like the plot though, has some interesting ideas there, at least much better than things like Seed Destiny to me.

Quote:
I think you'll probably like some of the Gundam series.

I finished watching Colorful earlier today and it was a very nice movie so I have to thank MrGreen for mentioning the movie earlier in the thread.

hmm.. just finish downloading it recently, think I'll get some time to watch.

Quote:
I just finished watching season 1 of Spice and Wolf and I am amazed. It had excellent plot, and the characters were very well developed. If my profile pic is enough to show its my new favorite anime. It's miles better then my old favorite Elfen Lied. But these are 2 different kind of shows. I am waiting for the second season to be released in English so i can watch it. Don't judge me but i started the series dubbed and would like to finish it dubbed.

wait.. DUBBED!? huh... imo you're losing one of the main elements/pleasure of watching anime ==
I can't stand even english sub nowadays ==

May 17, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #4,282 of 6,444
I understand that as well, but their have been excelent dubs. Samurai X: Trust and betrayal was great.Tomoe's voice actress was a little awkward at first, but the dub was great. Hiko Seijuro's opening lines in the ova have been forever etched in my mind: "The moon stares down upon a diseased world" All the power of that opening remained in the deep voice of the Seijuro's actor. 

I know most serious anime fans and older Gundam fans consider G Gundam to be a joke and hate Gundam Wing, but I felt their dubs were quite enjoyable. Dot Hack Sign's was also good. Vision of Escaflowne simply reused the cast of Gundam Wing for the most part so I won't go there; lets just say that I kept refering to Van as Trowa and Folken as Zeches till about halfway through the series :wink:

I liked the Gundam SEED dub, it wasn't the best but it was very coherent and consistent and I don't remember any characters that bothered me. Lucy's performance towards the end of Elfen Lied was beleivably haunting. As for Cowboy Bebop, i'm sure its name alone is all I need to mention. I just hope that if Fox goes through with it they don't actually make Keannu Reeves Spike. I respect the man but lates face it, his roles haven't exactly shown him to have a playful personality like Spike's.

I personally really enjoyed Eureka Seven, that dub was great. I'd go so far as to mark Erueka Seven as the end of a ten year era of good english dubs between roughly 1995-2005.

I couldn't stand the Haruhi Suzumiya dub, but then again I never expected to. It seems that the real problem is that any anime series heavy in Japanese cliches and ero just don't sound right in english at all. As much as I love anime, I guess I've never really been much of a fan of the path it was taking. I've really enjoyed plently of series with ero in them like Air Gear, Karin. Even Asu No Yoichi and Maria Holic to some extent. Kampfer was hilarilious. But the last few viewing seasons have been a bit much in my oppinion, I can't really say my subbed viewing list was that long this year. I'm tired of waiting for a little depth among an endless pile of fanservice.

Code Geass was great and I loved its concept, but I can't help but get the feeling that it could have been better if it took a more realistic art noir approach. I'm indifferent to the fact that it used air trek on mecha though :wink:

Originally Posted by kn19h7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

haha.. I've been given it up during progress two times before finally start it all-over and finish it, pretty hard to stand with the old graphics now ==
Like the plot though, has some interesting ideas there, at least much better than things like Seed Destiny to me.

wait.. DUBBED!? huh... imo you're losing one of the main elements/pleasure of watching anime ==

Really? I loved the hand drawn art style in shows like Dot Hack Sign, Gundam Wing, Vision of Escaflowne etc. If the artwork production is dirty like in G gundam thats a problem, but if its consistent and clean like in Gundam Wing/Escaflowne and other hand drawn works of the era I prefer it.
 That said, I will admit that the detail level in Death Note amazed me. I'd like to say that I'm just not into this neon colors' trend but that would be a lie; I liked the crisp bright artwork in negima neo.
I guess the point for this rant is that while I prefer the older art, I like anime as a whole more than my own preferences and will continue to look out for ones I can enjoy; despite recent trends. To each his own I guess...

Originally Posted by kn19h7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

May 17, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #4,283 of 6,444

Quote:
I understand that as well, but their have been excelent dubs. Samurai X: Trust and betrayal was great.Tomoe's voice actress was a little awkward at first, but the dub was great. Hiko Seijuro's opening lines in the ova have been forever etched in my mind: "The moon stares down upon a diseased world" All the power of that opening remained in the deep voice of the Seijuro's actor. 

I know most serious anime fans and older Gundam fans consider G Gundam to be a joke and hate Gundam Wing, but I felt their dubs were quite enjoyable. Dot Hack Sign's was also good. Vision of Escaflowne simply reused the cast of Gundam Wing for the most part so I won't go there; lets just say that I kept refering to Van as Trowa and Folken as Zeches till about halfway through the series :wink:

I liked the Gundam SEED dub, it wasn't the best but it was very coherent and consistent and I don't remember any characters that bothered me. Lucy's performance towards the end of Elfen Lied was beleivably haunting. As for Cowboy Bebop, i'm sure its name alone is all I need to mention. I just hope that if Fox goes through with it they don't actually make Keannu Reeves Spike. I respect the man but lates face it, his roles haven't exactly shown him to have a playful personality like Spike's.

I personally really enjoyed Eureka Seven, that dub was great. I'd go so far as to mark Erueka Seven as the end of a ten year era of good english dubs between roughly 1995-2005.

I couldn't stand the Haruhi Suzumiya dub, but then again I never expected to. It seems that the real problem is that any anime series heavy in Japanese cliches and ero just don't sound right in english at all. As much as I love anime, I guess I've never really been much of a fan of the path it was taking. I've really enjoyed plently of series with ero in them like Air Gear, Karin. Even Asu No Yoichi and Maria Holic to some extent. Kampfer was hilarilious. But the last few viewing seasons have been a bit much in my oppinion, I can't really say my subbed viewing list was that long this year. I'm tired of waiting for a little depth among an endless pile of fanservice.

Code Geass was great and I loved its concept, but I can't help but get the feeling that it could have been better if it took a more realistic art noir approach. I'm indifferent to the fact that it used air trek on mecha though :wink:

Originally Posted by kn19h7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Really? I loved the hand drawn art style in shows like Dot Hack Sign, Gundam Wing, Vision of Escaflowne etc. If the artwork production is dirty like in G gundam thats a problem, but if its consistent and clean like in Gundam Wing/Escaflowne and other hand drawn works of the era I prefer it.
 That said, I will admit that the detail level in Death Note amazed me. I'd like to say that I'm just not into this neon colors' trend but that would be a lie; I liked the crisp bright artwork in negima neo.
I guess the point for this rant is that while I prefer the older art, I like anime as a whole more than my own preferences and will continue to look out for ones I can enjoy; despite recent trends. To each his own I guess...

Originally Posted by kn19h7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hmm.. all dubbeds I've watched are those before I really get into anime so I can't comment much about the actual performance. But nowadays CV list does mean something to me, as well as director/plot/studio/etc.. I won't deny the possibility that there may be some excellent voice actors out there, but my problem with dubbed is that more or less it will be biased from the original intended emotions, and more important the verbal meaning. There are too many things that don't meant to get translated. Fan services are not of my concerns too but I'm ok with the trends now, there are supprises each season as well as those I'd end up dropping.
Eureka7 is one of my most favourite anime and actually Nazuka Kaori (Eureka's CV) is also one of my most favourite CV more or less related to that, its impossible for me to separate voices from anime I think.
To me the art style of Code Geass was quite nice, my problem with it more on the plot..

Gundam W graphics was quite ok actually, I think Gundam X is somewhat about the baseline to me. As for Gundam G.. as long as you don't treat it as usual Gundam, it can be quite fun.

Oh ya, forgot to mention that I actually enjoy listening to japanese ==

May 17, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #4,284 of 6,444
Speaking of graphics, i finally finished watching the original Macross, and boy that was a doozy. I thought it was going to be ok with the graphics, then i watched the first episode! it was so much worse than i thought. But anyways, it was pretty good. It's the oldest anime ive ever watched, since it aired in 82-83. previously the oldest shows i watched were in the 95 area, and Akira obviously was 88(but that looks great still!) . And i think its because of the fact that it was made in the early 80's that produces the things i didnt really like about it. The story overall was pretty good, but theres just waaayyy too many just random bouts of laughter that last for entirely too long. That and the people dont feel like real people, if you know what i mean, they're like caricatures of people. Sometimes modern anime feels this way at times, but in macross, it kind of felt to me like all the people were real people. And to finish, i definitely liked Macross Frontier better, maybe thats blasphemous, but i felt it was more cohesive, it didnt overstay its welcome, and i think the characters were much better< and it also did the love triangle, which macross is known for, much better.

i hate dubs

May 17, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #4,285 of 6,444

Quote:

well considering it takes place in europe i feel english suits it better.

May 17, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #4,287 of 6,444

Quote:
I'm watching phantom somethin-or-rather on Netflix, it's really good. About an assassin who works for an underground organization. 

Phantom Requiem for the Phantom is so good!! i was watching that way back while it was airing, definitely my favorite show that season, and probably me favorite assassin-y anime period. cant stand the english dub on netlfix Watch Instantly though

May 17, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #4,288 of 6,444

Quote:
Speaking of graphics, i finally finished watching the original Macross, and boy that was a doozy. I thought it was going to be ok with the graphics, then i watched the first episode! it was so much worse than i thought. But anyways, it was pretty good. It's the oldest anime ive ever watched, since it aired in 82-83. previously the oldest shows i watched were in the 95 area, and Akira obviously was 88(but that looks great still!) . And i think its because of the fact that it was made in the early 80's that produces the things i didnt really like about it. The story overall was pretty good, but theres just waaayyy too many just random bouts of laughter that last for entirely too long. That and the people dont feel like real people, if you know what i mean, they're like caricatures of people. Sometimes modern anime feels this way at times, but in macross, it kind of felt to me like all the people were real people. And to finish, i definitely liked Macross Frontier better, maybe thats blasphemous, but i felt it was more cohesive, it didnt overstay its welcome, and i think the characters were much better< and it also did the love triangle, which macross is known for, much better.

i hate dubs

Well, you would hope that after several different renditions of the love triangle thing, Kawamori would get better at trolling you with it. 
tongue_smile.gif

And I never watch English dubs if I have any choice in the matter.  Personal preference.

May 17, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #4,289 of 6,444
I don't mind dubs unless the voices are replaced with really girly ones. . . which sometimes happens - don't know why they do that. 

I'm just starting part 2. . . great stuff.

May 17, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #4,290 of 6,444
If you are not watching Nichijou now, go watch it. Its awesome mindless fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back