Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Feb 5, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #1,681 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnanderson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm on D gray-man right now. Couldn't finish Lucky Star cause it got too boring. Also watching gundam00, dragonaut, naruto, and clannad. I can't believe some of the good anime that someone can miss out on if they don't pay attention. I hadn't even heard of d gray-man and it was just a random chance that I found it.

How is D-Grayman and Gundam 00? I started D-Grayman but stopped after ~25 episodes because it seemed to be getting too random and there wasn't any real storyline. Does it get better?

I loved Gundam Seed, but am not too familiar with the rest of the Gundam franchise, so is 00 worth watching?

Sadly, I've completely forgotten about Naruto. I was a faithful follower during the first 135 episodes, but then stopped after they started the fillers and haven't been able to get back into it.

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #1,682 of 6,444
Gundam 00 is pretty good. At least this one has a plot different than all the previous ones. As for d gray-man, I started skipping episodes after 30 b/c it got too pointless and boring. Every episode had the same stuff the the characters kept using the same moves. I only watched 5mins of each episode after that just to keep up with the story but I wouldn't recommend watching all entire 68 episodes.

Feb 7, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #1,683 of 6,444
Hm, besides Gundam 00, are there any (relatively) new mecha series out there (preferably Real Robot) that is good and worth the time to watch it?

I just can't get into Lagann, and just finished Eureka 7 to my great satisfaction. Currently watching Gundam 00, and Code Geass is next on my list.

I've seen Full Metal Panic, Robotech... most of the "good" mecha series, so to speak, that is in the RR genre - I dislike Super Robots (ugh, SEED).

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #1,684 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm, besides Gundam 00, are there any (relatively) new mecha series out there (preferably Real Robot) that is good and worth the time to watch it?

By relatively new I'll assume that any series where the animation still holds up.

In Gundam, 08th MS Team and 0083 are the best of the series. Gundam's aren't the ridiculous godlike suits they are in SEED/Wing/00, so there's more emphasis on tactics and pilot skill rather than the usual beam spamming/near invincibility. They were produced in the mid-90's, but the animation holds up pretty well and both are relatively inexpensive on R1 DVD.

If you haven't seen Macross Plus and Macross Zero yet, both are excellent. Macross Frontier had 1 episode released in December, also excellent, and continues in the spring.

Gasaraki, also relatively inexpensive on R1 DVD, is a conditional recommendation. The mecha portrayal is about as real world as it gets in anime, read, giant bipedal robots are slow. Because of that, the fighting segments aren't as "actioney" as in in most mecha series. The plot is heavy on the politics and much higher quality than what passes for politics in anime, but there's also a lot of mystical plot elements that don't quite mesh in with the rest of the show. IMO, very good, but mileage may vary.

For Gurren Lagann, give it a few episodes. I dropped it after the first three, but it gets better with every episode.

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #1,685 of 6,444
I finally got around to Blue Submarine 6. Very pretty animation (similar to Last Exile as one would expect) with a compelling backdrop and characters, but it would have been nice to see more of the world and get some more character development going on. It was only a four-episode OVA, so there was only so much room. The best submarine movies are quietly suspenseful and frightening; the submarine action here was a bit Seaquest-y and not completely interesting. Some of it could have been jettisoned for more world building.

Feb 7, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #1,686 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For Gurren Lagann, give it a few episodes. I dropped it after the first three, but it gets better with every episode.

I LOVED Gurren lagann. It's actually become one of my all time favorite series. It starts off kinda slow, well, sort of. But it gets better. The thing is, it's in no way completely serious. It feels more like a balls to the wall, pedal to the metal kind of series. It just gets you. I'm glad i watched it when it was being aired. Now I can go back and watch it whenever I want.

Decay

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #1,687 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnanderson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gundam 00 is pretty good. At least this one has a plot different than all the previous ones.

I don't know. IMO, 00 is pretty bad.

The protagonist are morons in addition to being poor pilots, the Gundams are invincible, the nominal opposition is impotent due to a technology gap, and plot advancement heavily relies on plot twists of the deus ex Gundam sort. The grasp of geopolitics and scale is much better than in Seed, but that's really not saying much. They may not be not ripping off UC point for point any more, but I'd almost prefer that they continued to do so if this is the alternative.

Feb 8, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #1,689 of 6,444
well it's no longer "new"... but the Full Metal Panic series is really great (there are 3 seasons in all)

i'm not a fan of mecha anime in the first place but that show is just so entertaining
it combines so many disparate elements (comedy, politics, combat, drama, ecchi) and ties them together really well

the 2nd season, Fumoffu, actually has no mecha elements in it though

i finished gurren lagann but i just couldn't bring myself to like it.... i know it's supposed to be over-the-top brainless fun and melodrama but it just really irks me for some reason

Feb 8, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #1,690 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by erasmus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well it's no longer "new"... but the Full Metal Panic series is really great (there are 3 seasons in all)

i'm not a fan of mecha anime in the first place but that show is just so entertaining
it combines so many disparate elements (comedy, politics, combat, drama, ecchi) and ties them together really well

the 2nd season, Fumoffu, actually has no mecha elements in it though

i finished gurren lagann but i just couldn't bring myself to like it.... i know it's supposed to be over-the-top brainless fun and melodrama but it just really irks me for some reason

Watched FMP already. Loved it.
biggrin.gif

Cool, you're in Vancouver too.

Feb 18, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #1,693 of 6,444
I was able to attend Katsucon in D.C. over the weekend. Unfortunately I wasn't really impressed with the series I saw that were coming out. Most of the disappointment was due to the overzealous plot borrowing that some of these series exhibited. Please be aware that I'm trying to be as general as I can with these plot intros, but they could be construed as very mild spoilers.

Black Blood Brothers - Only watched a couple episodes of this before giving up and moving on, but this was a series about vampire brothers who are part of a severed bloodline attempting to clear the world of an evil vampire race that is threatening the world. We've all seen the basics of this plot way too many times.

Venus versus Virus - The first few episodes borrowed a few facets from Someday Dreamers, although didn't seem nearly as inspired. The protagonist is a part of a special team to take out evil spirits that only her, her comrades and a few other select people can see. People who are being pursued by the spirits are able to see a flier that normal people cannot. This flier directs them to a jewelry storefront that secretly is the headquarters of the team, where the pursued can be a client to the team.

Shuffle
- Shuffle is based off of a dating sim, with the typical house of girls all fawning over a single indecisive guy. Included is the variety of peppy, traditional, young, etc. etc. girls. Many of the episodes center around a pseudo-date with one of the characters. Think Sister Princess with a few less characters. Normally I don't mind this stuff as mindless fluff after a long day of work when I don't want to think, but the protagonist in this one seems so lame, giving in to whatever is going on around him and not exhibiting much character.

Devil May Cry - This was one of the better ones, but still nothing I'd buy. Dante has set up shop waiting for clients to drop by to request him to kill off demons. Often times he'll end up in a situation where he has to decide between his moral integrity or finishing the job to get some money to help pay off his bottomless debt. Artwork looks a lot like the recently released Highlander. Reminds me a bit of Cowboy Bebop due to the darker city look, the insurmountable debt, job undertaking structure, and badass woman who helps/competes on jobs that reminds me of Faye Valentine.

Cat Soup - This seemed a little more like an animated homage to the Brothers Quay than an anime. Very bizarre and imaginative animation with comical but gruesome subject matter including a good amount of dismemberment. This was on very early in the morning (like 4 or 5am i think) which made it even more strange as my mind wasn't thinking as logically as it could. If you're open minded about avant-garde artistic anime that only vaguely follows a plot, you'd appreciate this one.

Welcome to the NHK - Was able to see a little bit of this with a guest voice actor explaining what was going on behind the scenes in the production. Seemed like a very good series, a little bit like Genshiken that it provides a look at the life of otaku, in this case referred to a hikikomori, and how he struggles in his social life. I saw an early part of the series which seems pretty comedic, however I understand that it gets pretty serious and depressing in the end, so I don't know that I'll pursue it.

I was able to see a couple full-feature length films that I really liked:

Tekkonkinkreet - This was absolutely amazing. Animation was done by Studio 4°C which is a very artsy up-and-coming animation house. The movie is centered around two characters, effectively a yin and yang, named Black and White. These two live in a dystopian society where there are powers fighting over the city in an attempt to shape it to their desires. These brothers, especially Black, are against these changes and will do anything in their power to stop them. Highly recommended, and available on Bluray if you have a player.

The Girl who lept through Time (Toki o Kakeru Shōjo) - although this couldn't hold a candle to Tekkonkinkreet imho, it was still very very good. I would consider the animation to be pretty close to real life in character movement. The protagonist, Makoto, is able to figure out a way to traverse through time when she has a life threatening accident, and ends up involving herself in a number of issues at school using her power. Makoto finds herself in the predicament of questioning whether or not she is helping or harming the people around her.

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #1,694 of 6,444
I just finished watching Welcome to the NHK. It's one of my favorite animes now. I enjoyed every episode.

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #1,695 of 6,444
Anime I'm watching...list is too long so heres a link of what I am watching and have watched (warning: its freaking long)

wqu06's Anime List - MyAnimeList.net

Shows/Movies/Ovas I would recommend that came out the past year: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Karas, Byousoku 5cm (anything by Makoto Shinkai is a must see IMO...the animation is just breathtaking), Aria (S1, S2, the OVA, S3 <-- currently airing)

Yes...I know...I watch too much but I think they're better than those reality shows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back