Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Feb 24, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #1,696 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know. IMO, 00 is pretty bad.

The protagonist are morons in addition to being poor pilots, the Gundams are invincible, the nominal opposition is impotent due to a technology gap, and plot advancement heavily relies on plot twists of the deus ex Gundam sort. The grasp of geopolitics and scale is much better than in Seed, but that's really not saying much. They may not be not ripping off UC point for point any more, but I'd almost prefer that they continued to do so if this is the alternative.

I enjoy the 00 series. However I do agree with most of your points. (can't agree with the UC one, because I have not seen it). The series has now developed (at this point in time, not counting the Feb 24th ep) to a point where some of your points are being addressed. But then, it could be seen as even more deus ex Gundam twists. Don't know if that would be for the better or worse in your opinion.

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #1,697 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just finished Eureka 7 to my great satisfaction.

i like eureka 7 as well. very good anime.

right now, i am watch full metal alchemist. yea yea. a little slow. i know i know.

i finished darker than black recently, didnt like that one too well.

Feb 24, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #1,698 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i like eureka 7 as well. very good anime.

right now, i am watch full metal alchemist. yea yea. a little slow. i know i know.

i finished darker than black recently, didnt like that one too well.

Too much emo near the end of Eureka 7...enjoyed the music though.

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #1,700 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to hear that Darker than Black was not for ya. I loved that series.

Both e7 and DtB have some great music.

Can't really go wrong with an anime that had its music done by Yoko Kanno
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #1,701 of 6,444
wow highflyin9, you liked Devil may Cry? I absolutely hated it - it was almost as bad as Code-E IMO... I also didn't really like Tekkon kinkreet - it had way too much of an Americanized feel to it. I think Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo, OTOH, was probably the best on your list, and is easily on my top 20, if not top 10 list (granted, they fluctuate all the time).

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #1,702 of 6,444
Just finished up Kannazuki no Miko from the now defunct Geneon. This was a very light high school Yuri (romance between two girls) / save-the-world-from-an-evil-god / big-robot-fighting series spread over 12 episodes. Normally I don't care for big robot fighting, but I don't mind when it's not the main attraction, ie: Nadesico. This seemed to be the case with Kannazuki no Miko, the robot fighting wasn't prominent enough to bore me. Basically a challenge from the gods comes up every so many years, there are 8 Orochi that are selected by the evil god that want to destroy the world, and two shrine maidens that are selected to protect the world. One of the Orochi defects and chooses to protect a Shrine Maiden that he is in love with, and the battle for earth ensues.

The first episode had some strange timing issues, I felt like I was being thrown into the fray too quickly without a good introduction, but this seemed to be limited to the first episode. I would have liked a little more character development for some of the Orochi as well, but being a 12 episode series we can't ask for too much. Animation was good, but areas of low detail were notable to the eye in some parts. The plot, although not very complex, was able to draw me in and keep my interest to the end. Seems I'm a sucker for these dramatic romance animes. Overall a good series worth watching imho.

3/5

Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow highflyin9, you liked Devil may Cry? I absolutely hated it - it was almost as bad as Code-E IMO... I also didn't really like Tekkon kinkreet - it had way too much of an Americanized feel to it. I think Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo, OTOH, was probably the best on your list, and is easily on my top 20, if not top 10 list (granted, they fluctuate all the time).

Lol, I didn't say I liked it, but from what I saw of the first few episodes I felt it was tolerable. As I stated in the mini-review, it's nothing I'd purchase. I was disappointed with almost everything I saw at Katsu for one reason or another aside from Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo and Tekkon kinkreet. What part of Tekkon kinkreet seemed American to you?

Mar 13, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #1,703 of 6,444
just finished armored trooper votoms, aura battler dunbine, ergo proxy, towards the terra and tekkon kinkreet.

votoms didnt quite live up to my expectations, and i would say only the last 10/15 episodes were any good. theme song was awsome though
biggrin.gif

aura battler dunbine on the other hand was quite nice, although very tominoish.
if you have seen either gundam 0079, victory, zeta, or space runaway ideon you already know the plot/outcome.
still, worth my "precious" time, and might appeal to fans of escaflowne

ergo proxy left me with mixed feelings, mainly because of a slow start and some "filler?" episodes. but since i watched it in a marathon i was dragged into the mood, and i ended up enjoying it quite a lot
tongue.gif

towards the terra started awfully, but ended up quite decent, even though i hated the "good" guys. probably the "best" to come out of toei since galaxy express
biggrin.gif

tekkon kinkreet was unfortunatley a big dissapointment.
the animation and design are of course the best i have ever seen
but thats to be expected of studio 4c
biggrin.gif

the story on the other hand is lacking, and riddled with bad clichés (unfortunatley not good clischés
redface.gif
) overall a decent movie

currently watching gundam 00, and except for the combat animation its not looking good, probably the worst gundam series so far, excluding gundam wing.

Mar 17, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #1,706 of 6,444
The last anime I watched was Death Note, and I did enjoy it! The story was complex enough to keep you interested, but was never ridiculous or hard to follow, like some other animes out there... I would recommend it for lovers of (relatively mild) thrillers.

Mar 17, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #1,707 of 6,444
Mar 19, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #1,708 of 6,444
I just finished watching Happy Lesson and Happy Lesson Advance (both had been uploaded to YouTube). I though it was a rather nice popcorn anime in that it had the primary requirement for a harem anime (in this case, high school student surrounded by 5 of his teachers, older adopted sister, younger adopted sister, and class president), but it didn't follow the whole pattern of everyone falling in love with him. In this case, the teachers are only really interested in being the perfect mother's for him when not in school so the only one who's trying to chase after him is the class president, as well as another occasionally recurring character. Overall, it was a rather fun way to blow a little bit of time.

I also just finished watching Macross Zero, and I absolutely loved it. It was nice to see a setting just prior to the incidents occurring in Macross or Robotech, the animation was on par with Macross Plus at the worst of times, and, in many cases a step up and the dogfights, mecha fights and flight sequences were amazing.

Mar 19, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #1,710 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just finished watching Happy Lesson and Happy Lesson Advance (both had been uploaded to YouTube). I though it was a rather nice popcorn anime in that it had the primary requirement for a harem anime (in this case, high school student surrounded by 5 of his teachers, older adopted sister, younger adopted sister, and class president), but it didn't follow the whole pattern of everyone falling in love with him.

I remember enjoying both of these. Very easy-going fare that's pleasant to watch. You may enjoy Sister Princess if you liked these.

I also want to go back and watch Elfen Lied again. Such an awesome series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back