Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Mar 19, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #1,276 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also just ordered the FLCL ultimate boxset (only $45 from buy.com, before $10 off with Google checkout). One of the best deals out there for a fantastic OVA.

Thanks for Fitz's avatar, I have started watching Lain again. What can I say good about this series that hasn't been said before? That voice at the beginning of every episode still gets to me.

Wow, what are the odds? I also just barely bought FLCL Ultimate Edition from Buy.com (and with google checkout no less!). It's $43 now ($33 w/GCO), which is the cheapest I've seen it since it's been released. Great deal for a great show!

AND I just finished Lain for the first time. I enjoyed it, and I think I'll have to watch it again soon to try to understand it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #1,278 of 6,444
So, any hongfire members around here? :p

Mar 19, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #1,282 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Death Note is awesome. In fact, awesome is an understatement. Every episode has me on the edge of my seat, the tension is intense!

hmm, may have to check it out!

I recently watched Full Metal Panic, I found I went through the season really quickly, though there were some fillers, it seemed as it was quite a fast-paced / changing anime.

Would like another anime series where episodes seem to flow, not just fillers leading up to a big moment.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #1,283 of 6,444
To some up Death Note: it's a cat and mouse game, that plays off to tune of recent films like Infernal Affairs/The Departed in such that the cat/mouse(s) don't know for sure that who they're dealing with is who they're after/avoiding. It also has shinigamis, death notebooks(write someone's name in it and they die), and the protagonist and antagonists are geniuses/prodigies that make everything way more interesting. Like someone mentioned, it keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time. BTW, new intro FTW
biggrin.gif
The only people who don't like it are the clowns who want some uber poppy ballad that we've only heard 3497812349012874 times with a slightly different voice. I still recommend this over all the other really popular anime out there right now. Other big stuff like Bleach or Naruto drag and take way too long to develop anything. Plus the amount of characters slow down the pacing of the story. And no DN episode feels like a filler(well technically there won't be any since the show follows a finished manga). If you have time, the live movie isn't too bad(i say movie and not movies because The Last Name hasn't been subbed, and if it has, please PM me a link
biggrin.gif
).

I started watching Haibane Renmei due to recommendations here, and am enjoying it. My brother also recommend I start watching Shippuuden since I gave up on Naruto after I found it slow and boring. DJ Mitsu doing the intro is pretty dope, and the story so far isn't that bad. I'm kind of happy for the flashbacks for once since I stopped watching Naruto really early, and they keep me up to date.

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #1,284 of 6,444
Oh how I wish I hadn't already read Death Note! It's a great story, unfortunately it's only great the first time around. I find myself a bit bored while watching the episodes as they are aired one by one. There's just not much tension or suspense at the end when you know how it's all going to end. Hopefully, the anime will do something different towards the end since I hated the manga's ending.... But it is a great anime from what I have seen, definitely recommend it to anyone who wants an intelligent, well animated, well paced anime with interesting characters and great storyline.
wink.gif
Also, the second movie is already out with Chinese subs, if that helps any.
rolleyes.gif
I'm going to have to wait for the English version though.

Naruto and Bleach have both come out of fillers, unfortunately I find that most of the excitement I felt when they first came out (years ago) has mostly passed. I'm just not excited about watching the new episodes each week anymore. It probably doesn't help that I've read ahead in the manga so that I'm not surprised anymore. Or maybe I'm just getting too old for anime...
tongue.gif

Strangely, enough I'm still following D.Gray-Man. It's not great or very exciting, but I actually want to know what happens next.
confused.gif

That's my anime update. Back to work now.
frown.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #1,285 of 6,444
Quote:

It probably doesn't help that I've read ahead in the manga so that I'm not surprised anymore.

That usually kills it for me. Bleach anime is enh to me now since I'm more eager to read the crappy uncleaned manga lol. That time spent watching anime that i've read in manga can be spent catching up on my american comics though.

As for the DN anime being different, I read some damn spoilers on the jpopforums saying that the last name had a different ending than the manga. I wonder if the anime may do something similar(probably wont be the same as in the movie since mello and near are in the intro).

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #1,286 of 6,444
Death Note is indeed quite awesome. I've fallen behind in ep.s but I've read the manga already. It slows down a bit after the initial Kira excitement, but it remains a great series. Beyond that, Haibane Renmei is also very good. My personal favorite series is Cowboy BeBop. In my opinion, you can't beat in terms of pure cool. The soundtracks are funky and entertaining, and even the english dub was well done. For something a little less mainstream, I love FLCL, both the 2-volume manga and the show. the pillows (band who does the music) create a very cool atmosphere for Mabase and the storyline. Another favorite of mine is Gundam Wing. The Gundam franchise has been steadily getting better, but I remain devoted to GW. For an amusing example of how NOT to voice dub, check out Yami no Matsuei: Descendents of Darkness. I cannot watch the dubbed version without doubling up in laughter, the voices are so overdone and don't fit the characters at all. Ouran Host Club is highly amusing, and I hear Code Geass is good though I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I could discuss anime all day, but I think I'll wade back through here and see what everyone else is watching.

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #1,287 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by keiith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is Death Note like?

Is it worth watching? Is it another slow-paced anime?

i want a fast paced anime!

It starts fast but slows down a tad after the initial few episodes but even then it's nothing I'd call "slow-paced". I'd definitely recommend it. I've enjoyed what I've seen of Code Geass too so far (episode 7), hope it keeps it up. Love the Clamp character designs. Must get around to watching the Shinobuden I have lying around.

Mar 20, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #1,288 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by .pen.and.ink. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another favorite of mine is Gundam Wing. The Gundam franchise has been steadily getting better, but I remain devoted to GW.

lol, I watched the first volume a couple of weeks ago. It's definitely "earlier" than Gundam Seed! The main flaws are:

1. Script sillyness, e.g. heroine falls for hero/villain guy even though he's a killer and threatens her life; Hero/villain has been sent to Earth on a commando mission of total destruction, but nonetheless enrolls himself at the local snooty high school, where the heroine coincidentally attends.
[size=xx-small]Edit: Oh, also the heroine is a complete bitch![/size]

2. Very much a Giant Robo show, with big transform scenes accompanied by power music.

Seed is definitely more advanced in both areas, with the script more believable, and the mobile suits treated more like military machines and less like anime fetish icons.
That said, if you overlook these things, Wing is still quite enjoyable. There is some very cool old-school animation for the robo combat, and the music is very good when it's not an OTT fanfare for a transform scene. And as someone who started with Seed, it's interesting to see a previous version of the same (basic) story.

As I said, I've only seen the first volume, but I'm definitely interested in seeing a bit more of this show.

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #1,289 of 6,444
Well, it all depends on your preferences, I guess. I started with the really really early gundams, pre-GW, and grew up with the series. I'll admit that I'm also a bit of a fangirl, and as such love all the GW boys. And yeah, I hate Relena. But her character is necessary, if only for Endless Waltz and the ESUN. Heero's just got issues with people in general, but as I'm a fanficcer, I could on about that for a while.

Suffice to say that I love the characters, the old-school mecha, and the way the show comes together at the end. If you're looking for smooth animation and teenage wartime angst instead of old-school child soldiers, then I can see why you'd like SEED. But give GW a chance. Without it, there would be no SEED.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #1,290 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by .pen.and.ink. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I started with the really really early gundams, pre-GW, and grew up with the series.

Well, I must admit that I've only got into anime in the last couple of years, and the first Gundam show I saw was Seed. So, fangirls & boys, feel free to sneer! But I'm keeping an open mind and looking forward to watching more earlier shows. (I don't know how much there is to see, and I think I don't want to to know, 'cause I suspect it's a LOT.)

Been watching Wolf's Rain lately and getting into it, after getting used to the visual style. Plodding through the endless recap episodes at the moment
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back