Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Mar 26, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #1,306 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cowboy Bebop was an awesome anime. How can you not like it? Takes a bit to get into, though.

I think the problem is that I never managed to get into it. I certainly don't deny it's production values, it was very well put together and oozed quality. I just didn't find I got anything out of it. I'm not for a moment saying it's a bad anime by and stretch, more that it just wasn't to my tastes. No argument when it comes to the music though, that was outright great.

Mar 26, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #1,307 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seed is as bad, or worse, than Wing at fetishizing mecha. The same "one Gundam can kill gajillions of lesser mecha", "one mecha can alter the course of a war", "battles are decided mano-a-mano between opposing aces", etc. All present in both Seed and Wing.

We'll just have to disagree on that. I mean, I'm not saying Seed is pure realism, just less old school than Wing, i.e. you don't have triumphant music each time a mecha transforms, and mechanical details aren't dwelt over so lovingly (which might just be down to the cleaner art style).

Cowboy Bebop - I enjoyed it, but I expected it to build to something greater, so felt kinda let down.

Mar 26, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #1,309 of 6,444
Wait a minute. You watched the movie, but not the series? If you liked the movie that much, then you should love the series, as the movie is just one really long episode with a crazy big budget.

So yeah, two thumbs up for the movie as well.

Mar 26, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #1,310 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait a minute. You watched the movie, but not the series? If you liked the movie that much, then you should love the series, as the movie is just one really long episode with a crazy big budget.

So yeah, two thumbs up for the movie as well.

I've found the movie is a good way to get people interested the series - it's a smaller commitment and doesn't really spoil much aside from the character intros.

Mar 26, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #1,311 of 6,444
agreed. the movie rocks. a perfect spin on the normal run of episodes. BeBop remains one of my favorite series, despite how people don't 'get it.' it's like Miami Vice and funk and jazz and Bruce Lee and old westerns. what's not to get? though I suppose if you don't like any of those things, you won't 'get' BeBop. but at least everyone seems to agree that the OSTs are amazing.

Mar 26, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #1,312 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by .pen.and.ink. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
agreed. the movie rocks. a perfect spin on the normal run of episodes. BeBop remains one of my favorite series, despite how people don't 'get it.' it's like Miami Vice and funk and jazz and Bruce Lee and old westerns. what's not to get? though I suppose if you don't like any of those things, you won't 'get' BeBop. but at least everyone seems to agree that the OSTs are amazing.

I actually like many of those things, especially Bruce Lee movies and the whole funk/jazz scene. I am a bit lukewarm on westerns but that didn't stop me liking other shows with that aspect. I'm not sure what the combination of factors were that I didn't like, it's really too long ago since I last watched it, probably 4-5 years at this point, it was 2003 when I sold my copy.

Mar 26, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #1,313 of 6,444
Mahou Shoujo Tai (aka-Tweeny Witches)
I never did finish watching it, but what I did get to see was pretty and very cute. Not sure if anyone's mentioned it or not.
smily_headphones1.gif

Key the Metal Idol will always be a classic for me.

Mar 26, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #1,314 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by mehtheinfernal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mahou Shoujo Tai (aka-Tweeny Witches)
I never did finish watching it, but what I did get to see was pretty and very cute. Not sure if anyone's mentioned it or not.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now that I thoroughly enjoyed. Definitely not one to take seriously but a lot of fun.

Mar 30, 2007 at 12:19 PM Post #1,315 of 6,444
Good to know the thread is still going strong, dont really care to catch up on what I missed out on in though
tongue.gif

Past few weeks all went by in a blur, too much gaming and too little anime. Just trying to finish up Manabi Straight and Kanon renewal. Manabi Straight never ceased to amaze me with quality in subtle areas (e.g. pay close attention to scenes where mikan or mei are kicking their legs in bed). A complete package with flawless drawing, engaging bgm to liven up the atmosphere prone to dullness in this type of shows, interesting characters and lots, lots of MOE. I wish I could do a complete write up on prasing the show, but alas too little time and too much stuff to watch
smily_headphones1.gif
I will just say, this together with Hidamari Sketch easily rivals Kanon and outclasses anything that came out in January.

As for other things that I didnt have a chance to blurb on, Sokou no Strain had a fairly satisfactory ending - not the best finale of the year candidate yet entertaning like the rest of the show had been. Utawarerumono fans should definitely check out special short episodes bundled with DVDs, especially if you are a Touka fanboy like me
biggrin.gif
With just few hours worth of playtime left in the game, I cannot comment on the general sense of dissapointment amongst fandom regarding the ending in anime. As far as the parts I have finished (up to vs Kamen squad battle), anime actually was a brilliant adaptation of the original material. Contrary to some popular qualms with the anime, I never felt the show was that lacking in the humor department; rather, I appreciate how they made a streamlined effort to produce a coherent atomosphere, albeit perhaps not identical to that of the game. In case I forgot to mention, touka rocks. Equally as much in game AND anime
biggrin.gif

manabi1.jpg

lol they went from "bocky" (shinobuden) to "boccky". gotta love ufotable
biggrin.gif

for what its worth : http://www.imageanime.com/japrpatbopp.html

Quote:

For those who liked Honey Clover, there's a new show called Nodame Cantabile which features a very similar art, feeling and sense of humour. Just like Honey Clover it's lighthearted but not shallow. The plot is about music students and there is plenty of music obviously. The ending theme is pretty, too. It's not licensed yet and you can find the first two episodes with English subs on youtube.

Highly recommended.

I've also been following Code Geass but it's getting kind of stupid. Maybe it's a new trend for popular anime to indulge themselves in angst and depressive moods. I don't like it.

Regrettably, that is precisely why I dont really have much inclination to go on with the show (Nodame) after the 1 episode. The quality is definitely there, but I tried and failed to make myself like Honey Clover after few episodes. If I ever do continue watching Nodame, it would have to be for none other than the Kawasumi Ayako factor.
Didnt even bother with Code Geass - not my type of setting, not into mechas and Clamp drawing is a huge turnoff for me
frown.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #1,316 of 6,444
When looking for a new show to watch, I usually look at the drawing style first and foremost, and then consider genre, style (visual novels and light novels preferred, mecha, kiddy stuff and shounen manga firltered out) and other background information available on anime/manga blogs. If trailers become available, I try to get a hold of them of course.

Here are some April anticipations after minimal amount of research that I am looking forward to checking out in no particular order (some of these might be OVAs in fact):
Lucky☆Star
Hayate no Gotoku!
Hitohira
LN StrikerS
Seto no Hanayome
Nagasareta Airanto
Tengen Toppa Guuren Lagaan (maybe)
Idol Master XENOGLOSSIA
El Cazador
Kono Aozora ni Yakusoku wo
Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica
Sisters of Wellber
Kaibutsu Ohjo
RomeoXJuliet
Keitai Shoujo
Kaze no Stigma
Seirei no Moribito
sola
Kamichama Karin
Toka Gettan
OVER DRIVE

Below are shows I most probably would NOT watch:
Kotetsushin Jeeg
Heroic Age
Saint Beast
Saionkoku Monogatari 2nd Season
Claymore
Blue Dragon
Kaze no Shoujo Emily
Devil May Cry
Kishin Taisen Gigantic Formula
Ookiku Furikabutte
Bokurano
Bakugan Battle Brawlers
Robby to Kerobby
Onegai My Melody
Toward the Terra
Kissdum
Ohedo Rocket
Darker than Black
The SkullMan
Denno Coil
Lovely Complex

Not too bad for the april season eh?
wink.gif
I get a feeeling I am going back to watching a dozen+ shows a week pretty soon. Hope this could serve as a starting point for those who dont have a clue where to start looking.

Mar 30, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #1,317 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked his opening sequences for Minori's games better.
biggrin.gif

Still trying to get through Wind... oh well. The OP animation sequence surely was exceptional
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #1,318 of 6,444
The latest Nodame (#10) just came out and it was again a pleasant little 20min out of my life. Maybe I'm just drawn to the subject matter, a bit of nostalgic conservatory meandering.

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #1,319 of 6,444
I would like to second Hidamari Sketch, to me it's a fun combination of Azumanga and PPD. I tried Manabi Straight, but it just wasn't doing anything for me after a few episodes, for some reason. Maybe I'll re-visit it later.

I seriously cannot wait for M.G.L.N. StrikerS, it's only a few days from now!!!

Mar 30, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #1,320 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhwilkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to second Hidamari Sketch, to me it's a fun combination of Azumanga and PPD. I tried Manabi Straight, but it just wasn't doing anything for me after a few episodes, for some reason. Maybe I'll re-visit it later.

I seriously cannot wait for M.G.L.N. StrikerS, it's only a few days from now!!!

I understand it would be a hit-or-miss, like most other ufotable shows have been. Just finished downloading the last two episodes, hope they turn out to be as good as what I have seen so far.

Hidamari Sketch feels kinda like Pani Poni Dash (duh, blatant pani poni references here and there) sans the acutely satirical sense of humor, blended with a taste of "warmth" ala Mahoraba. Ample use of real-life images and unorthodox drawing styles is quite refreshing to the eye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back