Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
May 6, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #706 of 6,444
Right, on rare occasion if there's something to be had from it, I'll watch. Not often. Unfortunately, I no longer have the time to watch anime for the sake of watching anime.

May 6, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #707 of 6,444
It's been a long time since I've downloaded any anime, but I decided to try The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya because of all the rave reviews it's getting everywhere. Now I see why. I'm only two episodes in and I'm already hooked!

May 6, 2006 at 8:01 AM Post #709 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
For me it depends; some shows, the opening is the only part worth watching. Like Hellsing and Elfen Lied.

If that's the case, I don't watch it at all
tongue.gif

May 7, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #711 of 6,444
I'm having a pretty good time with Air Gear. It's a guilty pleasure and made for children 10 years old but fun nonetheless.

I guess you could call it the Avril Lavigne of shows.

m

May 9, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #713 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoi_rootbeer
i absoultely love the haruhi suzumiya! omg!

I guess we have another believer here, keep preachin' brother!
biggrin.gif
Eps6 and still going strong, no complaints whatsoever so far! The only other show that really comes close to touching it and continues to amaze me is Utawarerumono, currently at eps6

A very solid episode from school rumble ni gaki, the show is finally shaping up to what I was wishing it would have been. Hime-sama Goyojin is still a hillarious show, so I guess its a toss up between the two shows for the #5 spot in my power rankings of the week. Not to be outdone, Aria the Natural had another one of its typical, calm and pacifying episode with blissful music. They really should make this show continue forever to put us in feel-good mood all year long
biggrin.gif

So all in all, there isnt much change since my last posting except School Rumble Ni Gaki and Yoshinaga-san Chi no Gargoyle getting better and Strawberry Panic! leaving something more to be desired. Off to watch Yoshinaga 5/6, Black Lagoon 4/5 and Strawberry Panic 6.

May 9, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #714 of 6,444
Sgt. Frog is interesting - ever since Densha Otoko I decided to give this a shot for giggles some day. Only on the 2nd episode but it has promise.

May 12, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #716 of 6,444
I did it again, went to Best Buy and picked up a cheap box set, based only on the way the boxed looked.
eek.gif
It was between 3 sets, all priced below $40, none of which I've ever seen or heard about. Thankfully I chose the correct one, when I returned from my trip and looked up the reviews, the other two were aparently the suck. Thankfully was packing 3 FREE pencil boards, which enchanted me to buy it. If they are including free stuff the anime must be fantastic, right? The prize of my money squandering trip to Best Buy? Stratos 4, a 4 DVD set featuring 13 episodes about 4 Girls fighting swarms of deadly meteors falling directly for earth in rocket firing space ships. Had I known what it was about I probably wouldn't have gone running for it, but it was already here in my house, I might as well watch it. In this series there was a bit of coming-of-age drama. As it starts, the girls are working their hardest to be the clean up crew, a second set of ships that blasts up the pieces after the important guys nails an incoming meteor from further out in space. As the girls progress they find themselves in the middle of a big conspiracy and the series turns to thriller-mode. There's some comedy wrapped in there too, although I wouldn't consider it the main draw.

All the space-craft are inspired and fashioned from real life ships, the setting is modelled after an island near Japan as well. There are a suprising amount of extras on the DVDs, including a number of short episodes of the Japanese VO cast travelling to the island (which was pretty entertaining), four shorts about the different craft represented in the series (this was somewhat interesting), 5 music videos (meh), and a cast commentary.

As the series wraps up there are a few things that feel left unanswered. According to the cast commentary there was an OAV planned but it was either never produced or never made it's way to the U.S.

Anyway a recommended buy: 3.9/5

May 12, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #717 of 6,444
has anyone watched Nana? about two girls bothed named Nana...the first episode is pretty good. definately worth checking out.

i'm getting tired of all the crazy anime hair, powers, etc...:sigh: nana so far is a break from all that.

May 12, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #718 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoi_rootbeer
i'm getting tired of all the crazy anime hair, powers, etc...:sigh: nana so far is a break from all that.

Hehe, I went through the same transition around 4-5 years ago (I think it's been about that long!), and coming up from Dragon Ball Z fandom, I found the shift into Cowboy Bebop quite fantastic. That's probably why it reigns as my favorite anime to this day.

580smile.gif
Abe

May 12, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #719 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
I found the shift into Cowboy Bebop quite fantastic. That's probably why it reigns as my favorite anime to this day.

Cowboy Bebop's is still in my top three:

1. Paranoia Agent
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Angelic Layer

Everything about that series was almost flawless in execution.

May 12, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #720 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
Cowboy Bebop's is still in my top three:

Same here. Although my list of top animes is a bit different:

1. Rahxephon
2. Love Hina
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. Neon Genesis Evangelion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back