Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
May 4, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #691 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
Finished Kenshin Manga. I really liked it, especially the ending. It seems if the anime were to follow the manga then there was no way for them to have the same OVA because the latter 8 volumes of the manga are about Kenshin's brother in law.

Wow, two days to read 8 volumes. I plan to read the manga after finals are over. His brother in law seems awesome, in a slightly demented kinda way.

May 4, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #692 of 6,444
I'm watching SAC the second season. Good stuff. I love the complex storylines and issues. It gives me more to think about and more reason's to watch it multiple times.

May 5, 2006 at 9:48 AM Post #693 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhwilkin
Truth, this is one of the great animes of this season. The first episode is mainly good, IMO, in hindsight, but 2-4 are awesome! Eagerly awaiting more.

Let me also throw out Higurashi no Naku Koro ni as the other amazing show I've seen so far this season. Cute designs, yet NOT for the faint of heart. This show knows how to do tension and horror out of nowhere so well.

As for what I've finished recently (after having to wait a month after a computer crash)... Shakugan no Shana finished strong, even if the very end for the characters was a copout. Oh well, still a great series, highly recommended. Mai-Otome, despite a decent ending, was overall a letdown, especially compared to the original Mai-HiME. It wasn't bad, just didn't deliver on expectations. Rec has been surprisingly decent given the story, guess I ended up liking the characters more than I thought I would. Jigoku Shoujo is still going strong, though decent subs for it take forever. Gotta finish up Magikano, and getting started on a few other series.

This season? you gotta be kidding, one of the greatest of ALL TIME! S.O.S. Dan really rocked everyone's world, seeing how even most anime blogs in the US are all going crazy about this series. An award-winning Light Novel and perfect execution with top notch quality, what more could you ask for?

Linky for the inquisitive minds

Some great taste there, REC and Shana were among my top favorites from the last season
smily_headphones1.gif

here is my updated list for this season, with the last eps I have covered thusfar in the brackets

-Superb
1) Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu <eps5>
2) Utawarerumono <eps5>
3) Higurashi no Naku Koro ni <eps5>
4) ARIA the Natural <eps4>
5) Hime-sama Goyojin <eps2>
6) School Rumble season 2 <eps4>

-Good
7) Yoshinaga-san chi no Gargoyle <eps4>
8) Black Lagoon <eps3>
9) Strawberry Panic! <eps4>
10) Dai Maho Toge (OVA) <eps1/2>
11) Kyou no Go no Ni (OVA) <eps1>
12) TOKKO <eps1>
13) Makai Senki Disgaea <eps2>

-Decent
14) Lovege Chu <eps1>
15) Soul Link <eps1>

-OK, but could live wihtout
16) Yumetsukai <eps1>
17) Renkin San Kyu Magical Poka~n <eps1>
18) The Third <eps1>
19) Girl's High <eps1>

-Couldn't care less about
20) Sasami - Maho Shojo Club -

-What
21) Himawari!
22) Inukami!
23) Simoun
This one really felt like a true waste of time, I had a hard time just finishing the first episode.

-Still need to try
Yoshimune
ZEGAPAIN
Kirarin Revolution
Glass no Kantai
Good Witch of the West

Also, I saw the first eps of Kyou no Go no Ni, not sure how new it is though. Pretty decent, one of my favorite OVAs out this year.
Upon finishing my last final tomorrow, I should have all the time in the world to catch up on everything tho. Now, back to reading 200+ pgs within next 5 hours or so
frown.gif

May 5, 2006 at 9:57 AM Post #694 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
Finished Tenjho Tenge, pretty awesome anime fighting/martial arts anime with a deep plot. One of those that I just couldn't stop watching, which is rare. Good solid main characters, although after a while all those Japanese names getting tossed around can get confusing. And while the makers could have sooooo easily went overboard on the fan service with this one, I'm really glad they didn't and kept it to a bare minimum. I assume there'll be a 2nd series that'll focus more on the present stuff, definitely looking forward to it.

Also watching Ai Yori Aoshi, a pretty lighthearted romantic comedy. Very well done, the softie side of me is enjoying it a lot, and the music is quite nice. Lots of situations where guys watching will be quite envious of the main male character. Definitely plan on getting the OSTs once I finish Enishi as well.

Though I have been in agreement with most of your reactions, Tenjo Tenge simply wasnt cup of my tea. Ai yori Aoshi, on the other hand, had a very sofitie side as you say, much like Mahoraba. Also, music and drawing was stellar. Too bad sequel had all the eyecandy + blissful music but fell short in terms of story
frown.gif

May 5, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #695 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer
Though I have been in agreement with most of your reactions, Tenjo Tenge simply wasnt cup of my tea. Ai yori Aoshi, on the other hand, had a very sofitie side as you say, much like Mahoraba. Also, music and drawing was stellar. Too bad sequel had all the eyecandy + blissful music but fell short in terms of story
frown.gif

Well, truth be told, Ai yori Aoshi doesn't seem to have a whole lot of story to it to begin with. Unless it all suddenly unfolds at the last few episodes, I'm currently still on episode 21. Otherwise it's as though the authors simply took a look at human psyche and created scenarios that would cater to the romantic side of watchers, and that's the show. Which isn't a bad thing, better than watching real life soap operas and more convincing to boot IMO.

Man I'm amazed at how many animes some of you people can devour...given that most episodes last half an hour at least. Is this what some of you do for a living or something? :p

May 5, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #699 of 6,444
Quote:

Man I'm amazed at how many animes some of you people can devour...given that most episodes last half an hour at least. Is this what some of you do for a living or something? :p

Well hey, its only about a dozen or so shows a week that I actually track without getting behind, each being 24 minutes or so. That obviously excludes time spent on watching multiple times, taking screenshots (or sometimes making gifs/avatars out of it), posting pics and discussing, doing background research and all that crap. Either way, I dont watch any TV unlike some folks around me who seem to kill a good chunk of their free time on TV shows, so it really isnt that big of a deal
smily_headphones1.gif

Shows like Fate/Stay Night and Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu were automatic must-sees, as I am a big fan of the original works.

May 5, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #700 of 6,444
Quote:

It just depend on how you allocate your time. Most of us here don't watch much regular TV whereas your normal American might put in 2-3 hours of TV a day. 2-3 hours is 4-6 episodes of anime.
wink.gif

May 5, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #701 of 6,444
Actually, most anime are less than 18 minutes if you chop the opening and ending and any flashbacks and previews.

May 5, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #702 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Actually, most anime are less than 18 minutes if you chop the opening and ending and any flashbacks and previews.

True, but in practice I find that I only end up doing that when I'm in an anime marathon of sorts - going through an entire series in one sitting for example. However, the anime that I catch on a weekly basis I end up watching the whole ~24 minutes depending on whether I decide to skip a preview or recap.

May 5, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #703 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer
This season? you gotta be kidding, one of the greatest of ALL TIME! S.O.S. Dan really rocked everyone's world, seeing how even most anime blogs in the US are all going crazy about this series. An award-winning Light Novel and perfect execution with top notch quality, what more could you ask for?

Haha, well, if it keeps up this quality I'll certainly agree w/ it being one of the all-time greats. I'm just a little stingy w/ giving out that honor until I've seen most of the episodes... well, at least more episodes than I can count on one hand.
tongue.gif
I haven't read any of the novels and I'm trying my best to avoid any spoilers.
Quote:

Some great taste there, REC and Shana were among my top favorites from the last season
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif
Given that, I'll have to check out some of the shows from that big list of yours you liked that I haven't heard of before (like most of them in the GOOD category except Strawberry Panic and Black Lagoon I hadn't heard of), when I get a chance. Good thing there seem to be not many episodes to catch up on.

May 5, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #704 of 6,444
Hrm, I never watch the intro, recap, end credit, or preview except on rare occasion.

May 6, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #705 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Hrm, I never watch the intro, recap, end credit, or preview except on rare occasion.

You must be missing out on a lot of stuff then; series like school rumble love throwing in tons of jokes and whatnot in warning screen/previews, not to mention they have extra few minutes worth of stuff after the ending song in some of the episodes. Some shows, namely Utawarerumono and Hantsuki have splendid opening sequences, to the point where I enjoy watching those parts alone time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back