Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Aug 5, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #3,391 of 6,444

Quote:

Also, just finished watching Zero no Tsukaima (first season) after a friend suggested it since I really liked Toradora. I'm, well, not that impressed. It wasn't awful, and I don't really consider it a waste of time, but didn't even come close in terms of quality. It just felt rushed, and with nearly no character development or charm, which is what I loved so much about Toradora. Oh well.

I am at the last episode of Zero, and I can see where you're coming from.  It's not as refined as Toradora...which seems a kinda weird thing to say.  When it swings into the more emotive areas, Toradora has some moments of very interesting character interaction and developing relationships.  Zero's relationships are pretty shallow in comparison.  I don't curse myself for buying it and watching it, but I don't think Zero really captured me in the same way during the first season.

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #3,397 of 6,444

Quote:
I am at the last episode of Zero, and I can see where you're coming from.  It's not as refined as Toradora...which seems a kinda weird thing to say.  When it swings into the more emotive areas, Toradora has some moments of very interesting character interaction and developing relationships.  Zero's relationships are pretty shallow in comparison.  I don't curse myself for buying it and watching it, but I don't think Zero really captured me in the same way during the first season.

I think I'm just overly annoyed because it came as such a strong recommendation related to Toradora. I'm pretty sure I could sum up each primary character in a single word, perhaps a few more for Zero (though I really think I could get away with "Tsundere" and call it a day) and Saito, but that's kind of sad.  I really did want to like it. I'll probably go through the second and third season just to see if it picks up in terms of quality, but I'm not expecting much. Did you say you've seen the second and third season as well? If so, would you suggest I bother watching them, given my current stance?

I'm stalling Kaiba; I might watch it with a friend who seems somewhat interested in the show. I'll go back to my marathon of Bleach for now.

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #3,398 of 6,444
Honestly, I actually have been stalled on the last episode of the first season of Zero for...like a month.  I've actually rewatched episodes of Koihime Musou over watching that last episode, so I guess that tells you how motivated I am.  Heh.  I plan on a relaxing Friday night, though, so maybe I'll push through it.  Haven't watched the later seasons.  I guess I found Zero entertaining in some ways, but Toradora seems entertaining but with somewhat unusual characterizations and some depth, so it hasn't really hooked me.

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #3,400 of 6,444

Quote:
just finished Darker than Black, what a great show! so should i watch the OVA's, Darker than Black Gaiden, or the second season next?? i know that the OVA takes place between the two shows, but werent they released at the same time?

Watch it many moons ago though i was not impressed with season 2 (you'll see, sailormoon etc etc), also try Requiem Phantom which has a similar atmosphere yet better for my taste,

I really enjoy watching Amber which really resemble CC from Geass.

Start with the OVA then the 2nd season.. 

I like EVA except for the later episodes, but i rather watch Rahxephon second time around than Eva

Quote:
I also been rewatching Ruroni Kenshin and Yu Yu Hakusho

lot of badass characters in one series , Kenshin , Saito, Hiko Soujiro, Shishio ,wish they could fund this and remake it. its a freaking masterpiece

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #3,401 of 6,444

Quote:

Neon Genesis Evangelion is my all time favorite, I only wish the ending is better.

There's always the visually stunning current set of movies. I don't think they can quite stand on their own, but 1.0 and 2.0 have been very satisfying for this EVA fan. Just wish the American release cycle was more consistent.

Aug 6, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #3,402 of 6,444

Quote:

Neon Genesis Evangelion is my all time favorite, I only wish the ending is better.

I was talking to my friend a few weeks ago that I'm in the minority that actually liked the ending of the series.  I thought the production value was real low, but story-wise I thought it fit well with the themes of isolation and acceptance, and preferred the series ending versus the ending in End of Evangelion etc etc.  Again, I see myself in the minority and I'm all OK with people disagreeing.  ^_^

Aug 6, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #3,403 of 6,444

Quote:

Watch it many moons ago though i was not impressed with season 2 (you'll see, sailormoon etc etc), also try Requiem Phantom which has a similar atmosphere yet better for my taste,

I really enjoy watching Amber which really resemble CC from Geass.

Start with the OVA then the 2nd season.. 

I like EVA except for the later episodes, but i rather watch Rahxephon second time around than Eva

lot of badass characters in one series , Kenshin , Saito, Hiko Soujiro, Shishio ,wish they could fund this and remake it. its a freaking masterpiece

hmm, yeah some people have been saying the second sesons wasnt very good, but its only 13 episodes, and so far i think the OVA hasnt been too terrible. And i watched Phantom while it was airing in japan, nekomimi did a pretty good job on the fansubbing i thought. definitely one of the better shows ive seen, up their with darker than black. Have you seen Noir?

haha i thought the exact same thing! she reminds me a ton of CC from geass, though Yin has still been my favorite character from the beginning.

yeah i did some more research, the OVA came out after season 2, but since it takes place between them i started watching it first.

hmm, i always tell people i think rahxephon is what evangelion could have been, but i still put evangelion higher on my list of favorite anime...its a classic, so that adds some tilt.

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #3,405 of 6,444

Quote:

There's always the visually stunning current set of movies. I don't think they can quite stand on their own, but 1.0 and 2.0 have been very satisfying for this EVA fan. Just wish the American release cycle was more consistent.

Did you notice that there were things that happened in the series in the movies, which suggest that the movies happen after EoE? (For example the Blood "cleft" in the moon from the EoE, there's a corpse somewhere, kaworu says "maybe i'll please you this time", and Asukas Eva has a mouth like the white ones in EoE after the beast
wink_face.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back