Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Aug 10, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #3,422 of 6,444
Agree with the above.  Bebop was on the cusp of the large-scale move over to CG, if I remember right.   It's also got good characters, great music by Yoko Kanno, and is easy to watch most of the way through because it's mostly episodic until the final arc.  Another fun thing about it, if you watch the Japanese VA, is that Megumi Hayashibara is the voice talent for Faye, and it's really different than the roles she was previously known for (Rei from Eva, Ranma, etc).  After actually seeing the character designs in motion, you can also then fully realize the horror that is Man Faye.

Eureka 7 is one of my favorites, but it's long and does have a very whiny protagonist.  It's a little hard to watch at times and follows a lot of the "coming of age" cliches, but if you can deal with those and like mecha stuff, it's good.  Some decent opening and ending music too.

I keep meaning to watch Canaan too.  Haven't gotten around to it.  Got distracted by other more fluffy easy watching stuff.

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #3,423 of 6,444
Being a L4D/L4D2 fan, I've been enjoying High School of the Dead. I don't really care for the excessive fan service though.

Agreed on Eureka 7. I found it to be good enough to own on DVD, but Renton gets annoying sometimes. Same with Shinji from NGE. Pilot a huge, powerful mecha? I'd love to!

Aug 10, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #3,424 of 6,444
Pilot a giant mecha knowing that the fate of the world rests in my hands and that failure means extinction for the entire human race? Pass.

Not that I wouldn't if I had to. But otherwise, the immense stress, long hours, and low pay make it a bit of a no go for me. Plus it'd be a bit annoying to have my ugly mug plastered above the fold on the next day's New York Times every time I accidentally stepped on a schoolbus filled with orphaned evacuees or inadvertently sent a burst of 120mm shells into a hospital.

Course, that's my current late-20's self. My 15 year old self? Figure my handlers would figure out PDQ that giving that much destructive power to a teenager with anger management issues is a Bad Idea.

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #3,428 of 6,444
sorry to gripe guys, but i wrote FUNimation asking when they were going to release Darker than Black on Blu Ray, and they wrote back saying that they have no plans to do so, but then they come out today with a release date for Eden of the East....i just dont get it...

Aug 10, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #3,429 of 6,444

Quote:
sorry to gripe guys, but i wrote FUNimation asking when they were going to release Darker than Black on Blu Ray, and they wrote back saying that they have no plans to do so, but then they come out today with a release date for Eden of the East....i just dont get it...

Funimation has always been subpar. I don't support them for anything. Couple that with aggressive C&D tactics, makes them even more worthless.

Aug 11, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #3,432 of 6,444

Quote:

yeh right i have almost any anime worth buying in blue ray on my computer for free.

only found darker then black in 720p :p

yeah, but i like supporting the content providers that i enjoy, hence why i would like to purchase it. but i wont buy it on dvd, i havent bought a dvd in like 3 and a half years. i would order the blu rays from japan, but the ones ive looked at didnt have english subs

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #3,433 of 6,444
I've contemplated buying the blu-rays from Japan just so I can legitimately have the blu-ray fan subs of some series. In fact I actually bought some of their overpriced DVD's while stationed in Japan. Some of the best material available over there simply won't be licensed over here anytime soon if at all. Still, saying that a company did a terrible job of bringing content is no rationalization for downloading the anime instead.

Quote:
yeah, but i like supporting the content providers that i enjoy, hence why i would like to purchase it. but i wont buy it on dvd, i havent bought a dvd in like 3 and a half years. i would order the blu rays from japan, but the ones ive looked at didnt have english subs

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #3,434 of 6,444

Quote:
I've contemplated buying the blu-rays from Japan just so I can legitimately have the blu-ray fan subs of some series. In fact I actually bought some of their overpriced DVD's while stationed in Japan. Some of the best material available over there simply won't be licensed over here anytime soon if at all. Still, saying that a company did a terrible job of bringing content is no rationalization for downloading the anime instead.

exactly, ill buy it once it comes out, maybe some people dont like funimation but they're carrying the flag for anime in america so ill buy their stuff, but they should be releasing Ergo proxy and Darker than Black on blu ray in the states...

and bandai needs to release Code Geass!!

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #3,435 of 6,444
I do have to admit some of the Funimation upscales are painful to watch. I would <3 Darker than Black and Code Geass on blu-ray.

After living in Japan for some time, the current state of anime Blu-ray in the US is rather pitiful imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back