Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Sep 30, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #2,656 of 6,444
My first post in this thread ... forgive me if I don't wanna read all 176 pages before me! These are the series I watched recently and felt were good:

-Zipang (loved it, want to read the manga but it hasn't been translated)
-Innocent Venus
-Hell Girl Season 1
-Pumpkin Scissors
-Area 88
-Rescue Wings

Anybody like/dislike these?

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #2,657 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first post in this thread ... forgive me if I don't wanna read all 176 pages before me! These are the series I watched recently and felt were good:

-Innocent Venus
-Hell Girl Season 1
-Pumpkin Scissors
-Area 88
-Rescue Wings

Area 88 is the only one out of that list that I have watched, and quite frankly, I rather enjoyed it!

Sep 30, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #2,658 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Horses for courses, but I'll offer up a defense anyways.

Bakemonogatari
(and Haruhi to a lesser extent) is significantly more character driven than most popular anime. To the extent that a plot exists, it's mainly there to drive character exposition and development. It's rather similar to traditional women's literature which (in general) also shows the same bias towards character development to the detriment of plot development. Sure it's different than most anime, but mainly because most popular anime hews closely to the pop lit/cinema bias in favor of plot development over character development.

Exactly, and thats what separates the good from the great. Your best anime are able to present both solidly, look to Haibane Renmei, Air (or any Key for that matter), The Girl who Leapt Through Time, Sword of the Stranger, etc. Forsaking one for the other usually creates an exterior facade without any substance. If only one is possible--if time is a constraint for an example as in many movies--, then I generally favor the plot over the character. What good is a story if it has no plot? You cant have a story if you dont have a plot.

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #2,659 of 6,444
Currently, I'm finishing up Seirei no Moribito for the third time. Also watching Capeta, Kurozuka, and Darker than Black for the second time. I will watch 07-Ghost once it's finished DL'n.

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #2,660 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly, and thats what separates the good from the great. Your best anime are able to present both solidly, look to Haibane Renmei, Air (or any Key for that matter), The Girl who Leapt Through Time, Sword of the Stranger, etc. Forsaking one for the other usually creates an exterior facade without any substance. If only one is possible--if time is a constraint for an example as in many movies--, then I generally favor the plot over the character. What good is a story if it has no plot? You cant have a story if you dont have a plot.

You're describing the difference between good anime, and anime that are fun for some people to watch. Totally different things. On a side note, I liked Bakemonogatari but not Haruhi(or any of the dozens of post-Haruhi offshoots *cough* Lucky Star & K-on! *cough*)

Quote:

Originally Posted by veekz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently, I'm finishing up Seirei no Moribito for the third time. Also watching Capeta, Kurozuka, and Darker than Black for the second time. I will watch 07-Ghost once it's finished DL'n.

Kurozuka was a bit weird. I enjoyed it though, if only for the mind-blowing OP and awesome first episode.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #2,661 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystere9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haruhi(or any of the dozens of post-Haruhi offshoots *cough* Lucky Star & K-on! *cough*)

Have you only looked at screenshots of these shows? They are nothing alike apart from the fact that they are in a high school setting, like many shows.

K-on! is a cute girls do cute things anime, Haruhi is in the fantastic style originating from a light novel and lucky star is a funny anime originating from a four panel manga.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #2,662 of 6,444
Quote:

-Innocent Venus
-Hell Girl Season 1
-Pumpkin Scissors
-Area 88
-Rescue Wings

Any comments on Innocent Venus? I was thinking about watching it next (or at least fairly soon).

At demand by a friend, I had to sit through Di Gi Charat tonight. While it was mildly amusing, I felt like a 7 year old girl for that whole 60 odd minutes. *shudder*

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #2,663 of 6,444
Quote:

On a side note, I liked Bakemonogatari but not Haruhi(or any of the dozens of post-Haruhi offshoots *cough* Lucky Star & K-on! *cough*)

Wow: personally the only things I found to be similar between Haruhi, Lucky Star and K-On! were:

A) High School Setting
B) Primary Character is Female
3) All done by KyoAni

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #2,664 of 6,444
kjpmkjp;6052648 said:
Any comments on Innocent Venus? I was thinking about watching it next (or at least fairly soon).
QUOTE]

It's really good. Probably the most violent anime I've ever seen (haven't seen Gantz though) and it can be kind of disturbing. It's very somber and I can't think of a single light-hearted moment in the series. Only 12 episodes, so there is no filler. No fan service, no romantic subplot which is always a plus in my book. If you like combat or war genres, you would probably like it.

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #2,665 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khanate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you only looked at screenshots of these shows? They are nothing alike apart from the fact that they are in a high school setting, like many shows.

K-on! is a cute girls do cute things anime, Haruhi is in the fantastic style originating from a light novel and lucky star is a funny anime originating from a four panel manga.

I have watched all three shows. see below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow: personally the only things I found to be similar between Haruhi, Lucky Star and K-On! were:

A) High School Setting
B) Primary Character is Female
3) All done by KyoAni

Do you know of the fanboys that have sprung out of all 3 series? Haruhi started the idolization of cute(incredibly unintelligent and insipid) girls doing essentially nothing. Sure Haruhi had an overplot, but the plot wasn't the reason anybody in Japan watched the show, and it wasn't the focus of the kyoani team when they were making the show. The show itself pandered to the haruhi/mikuru/yuki fanboys. Then those fanboys went on to create such classics as Lucky Star(Somebody try to argue that the focus of Lucky Star was some kind of plot), and K-on!(Which was obviously just riding the wave at that point).

Sorry to anyone who really likes Haruhi, but I see it as even worse than Miyazaki's works(And I'm very, very sorry for Miyazaki fans. My most sincere condolences).

Quote:

It's really good. Probably the most violent anime I've ever seen (haven't seen Gantz though) and it can be kind of disturbing. It's very somber and I can't think of a single light-hearted moment in the series. Only 12 episodes, so there is no filler. No fan service, no romantic subplot which is always a plus in my book. If you like combat or war genres, you would probably like it.

On a side note, Elfen Lied is one of my favorite shows ever.
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #2,666 of 6,444
Quote:

I have watched all three shows. see below.

Do you know of the fanboys that have sprung out of all 3 series? Haruhi started the idolization of cute(incredibly unintelligent and insipid) girls doing essentially nothing. Sure Haruhi had an overplot, but the plot wasn't the reason anybody in Japan watched the show, and it wasn't the focus of the kyoani team when they were making the show. The show itself pandered to the haruhi/mikuru/yuki fanboys. Then those fanboys went on to create such classics as Lucky Star(Somebody try to argue that the focus of Lucky Star was some kind of plot), and K-on!(Which was obviously just riding the wave at that point).

Sorry to anyone who really likes Haruhi, but I see it as even worse than Miyazaki's works(And I'm very, very sorry for Miyazaki fans. My most sincere condolences).

On a side note, Elfen Lied is one of my favorite shows ever.
biggrin.gif

Well, to start off, Azumanga Daioh came before and I think started 'cute girls to cute things', although it might of been even before that.

I think you are missing one important point, it is that Lucky Star was never meant to have a plot, sure the characters do change school year, but they never actually evolve. Lucky star started from a four panel strip, which would be the equivalent of a newspaper comic in the United States, and as such revolves around a few characters doing a sketch within 4 images, hence why even the anime features short stories one after another not forming a coherent story. Would anyone argue that Charlie Brown is terrible because it is character centric and doesn't have a main plot? So as far as lucky star goes I think you missed the point of the anime.

Also, you seem to like a certain type of anime, because you cannot enjoy another type doesn't mean it is bad, taste is subjective and this is an audio forum where most everyone should understand subjectivity. No need to come here with an elitist's attitude, bloody animes are no better and feature just as much fanservice as k-on!.

Oct 1, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #2,667 of 6,444
You mean there were no shows exploiting moe in the past?

I am not sure if Kyoani went out of their way to cater the fanboys (btw, didn't even know there was a such thing as a mikuru fanboy
tongue.gif
), but surely enough they didn't start anything new in that sense IMO.

Having cute girls in a show does not take anything away from its entertainment value either, though it can certainly be a huge bonus.

As for the three shows being similar/different,

Again, I don't think it started anything new, except it really exposed the tsundere concept to the masses. A very well written novel (the first volume anyway) with better than perfect execution. Bandwaggon fans or not, it is a very solid show at worst.

Lucky star is just way different from the other two, in fact I fail to see any connection other than having an ample amount of cross-reference to Haruhi, being a comedy that relies heavily on parodies and references to other anime.

There were classics like the Galaxy Angel franchize where they do ABSOULTELY nothing. Why would they have to, having a monolithic plot just doesn't jive with this kind of comedy, or whatever type of show that does not need to rely on a plot. What about Excel Saga? Does this show need to have any strong "TEH plot" to shine?

At least both us can agree Miyazaki's works are no good
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #2,669 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjpmkjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

I'm 8 episodes in and find it incredibly average so far. Unless they really go all-out in the end, it's pretty tame as far as violence and being disturbing is concerned. Plot is pretty ordinary, characters have the bare minimum of depth to keep the story moving, and I put it aside for now after the cliche plot "twist." Aside from all that it is entertaining to watch; it's by no means bad, but it's nothing special either in my opinion.

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #2,670 of 6,444
I really don't want to argue this because I don't see it going anywhere.

I was not saying that a show has to have plot to be good. I was simply saying that in my mind the only thing going for Lucky Star(The animation) and K-on(leaving Haruhi out of this) were their 'Moe' characters, and I hate moe characters(And the contemporary interpretation of Tsundere too). Purely an issue of preference.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, I don't think it started anything new, except it really exposed the tsundere concept to the masses.

Maybe. Asuka Langley Soryu will always be more than enough Tsundere for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back