Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Sep 26, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #2,641 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Macross, it's great IMHO. I had never bothered to watch it even though I have fond memories of seeing Robotech when I was a kid.

Which Macross did you watch? Personally, I've enjoyed the Original Macross, Macross Plus and Macross Zero. I've yet to watch Macross 7 and while I liked Macross Frontier, I didn't feel it to be of the same caliber as either Plus or Zero.

Sep 26, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #2,642 of 6,444
So far I'm up to ep 30 of the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross, haven't watched any of the others yet but I'm excited to check em out.

Sep 26, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #2,643 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed about everything, but I think they took it a bit too far with the Nadeko Snake episode.
frown.gif

Definitely. But hey, you did get your 1:30 Nadeko OP in the same episode, complete with frighteningly catchy song.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still, I wish the show were 2-kuru
frown.gif

Yep. Hopefully another season or two. Still waiting for the opening bits of episode one to get fleshed out.

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #2,644 of 6,444
I havent been able to find the last 3 episodes of Bakemonogatari online yet so I havent seen the entire series but so far its pretty blah for me. I think the problem was that there was a LOT of potential for some really interesting plot development given the stories basic premise and description, but it didnt run with that potential at all. There was plot, but it was about the slowest moving plot I have ever seen. This is from a guy who loves The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, 3cm Per Second, etc. I think the problem stemmed from some of the most interesting characters Ive seen in a show in a long time not being used to their full storytelling potential. They simply squandered the tools the characters gave to them when it came to developing a gripping plot. My gripes for this show felt similar--though not identical--to my complaints for the first season of Haruhi. It seems like more and more shows now are trying to individualize themselves from the herd of anime that comes out now by means of Dada-esque story telling instead of solid plots and solid characters.

I finished the second season of Spice and Wolf and I loved every min of it. As with the first season, it was a bit difficult to follow every nuance of what was going on; what the scheme of the various characters was, and the ramifications of unexpected twists during the show. Thats not a problem so much with the show as it is with my lack of knowledge trade in commodity goods. It will probably take a second viewing to catch everything. My faintest problem is that the side characters didnt seem quite as fleshed out as the characters of the first season. Very good show.

Im about to be a late viewer of Black Lagoon pretty soon. It certainly sounds interesting.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #2,645 of 6,444
gonna check out Bakemonogatari

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #2,647 of 6,444
Working my way through all 50 episodes of Blood+ as I enjoyed the original Blood: The Last Vampire anime though thought the live action was not much cop.
It's pretty good and holding my interest so far (ep 15).

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #2,648 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I havent been able to find the last 3 episodes of Bakemonogatari online yet so I havent seen the entire series but so far its pretty blah for me. I think the problem was that there was a LOT of potential for some really interesting plot development given the stories basic premise and description, but it didnt run with that potential at all. There was plot, but it was about the slowest moving plot I have ever seen. This is from a guy who loves The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, 3cm Per Second, etc....

Do you mean 5 Centimeters Per Second? (Sorry for being pitnicky)

Currently watching Canaan since it finished recently, and going to watch the two Yotsunoha OVA's.

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #2,650 of 6,444
Gunslinger Girl Season 1
Spice & Wolf Season 1
Bakamonogatari Season 1

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #2,651 of 6,444
oops wrong thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Might be an old news, but 3 more episodes or so of Bakemonogatari will be aired as a web-anime (or whatever it's called), as they were desperate to get the show concluded soon enough. That answers my question of why the last episode was titled 'Tsubasa Cat, Part2' yet had none of Tsubasa in it.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #2,653 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My gripes for this show felt similar--though not identical--to my complaints for the first season of Haruhi. It seems like more and more shows now are trying to individualize themselves from the herd of anime that comes out now by means of Dada-esque story telling instead of solid plots and solid characters.

Horses for courses, but I'll offer up a defense anyways.

Bakemonogatari
(and Haruhi to a lesser extent) is significantly more character driven than most popular anime. To the extent that a plot exists, it's mainly there to drive character exposition and development. It's rather similar to traditional women's literature which (in general) also shows the same bias towards character development to the detriment of plot development. Sure it's different than most anime, but mainly because most popular anime hews closely to the pop lit/cinema bias in favor of plot development over character development.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #2,655 of 6,444
Nothing really caught my eye out of the summer anime. Umineko was ok, but couldn't stand up next to the visual novel. Bakemonogatari is good, and I need to finish it. Kanamemo was cute/funny, and Umi Monogatari was very serene. Nothing could quite stand up to Eden of the East or Akikan in my mind, I'm afraid. Requiem for the Phantom seemed good, but I didn't want to spoil the 'visual novel' which I began before the anime started. Michiko to Hatchin looks extremely promising despite being several seasons old, and I need to finish it.

I still watch One Piece religiously.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back