Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Sep 6, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #2,626 of 6,444
Yesterday I watched Gantz.

Sep 6, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #2,627 of 6,444
So Ive just seen Neon Genesis Evangelions first remake movie for the series: Evangelion: You are (not) Alone. Its pretty darn good. Id say that its potentially even better than the original series. Granted, this being a series of movies that act as remake to the original TV series, I will need to see all of them to pass proper judgment, but this installment is exquisite. They cut out most of the series that could stand to be cut while leaving all the necessary meat. There is only one scene that wasnt present that I wish it would have had but it was more of a special effect from the original series (the scene with the third angel and how the first shot went in the original series). What I did like was that the movie confirmed many of the theories I had had regarding the original TV series. Considering the complexity and incomplete presentation of the story line from the original series, this is quite a feat. I did NOT expect that ending though to this, the first movie. I wont say what it is, but its quite interesting and will likely have me theorizing further.

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #2,628 of 6,444
Finished up a couple of shows from the summer season.

Bakemonogatari: Talkative supernatural harem detective show with a very genre-savvy cast. Of note, it features the most interesting female character of the year so far (Senjougahara). Funny, sexy, smart, and, oh yeah, extremely violent. Too bad there's a distinct lack of her towards the end of the season. Animation is a bit... odd. Quality is good. Quantity? Not so much, but hey, it's SHAFT. Still, Bakemonogatari is mostly solid and very enjoyable. Senjougahara fascination does cover quite a few sins.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0: Take one disaffected middle school girl (Mirai), mix in her mildly dysfunctional family, add a capable single mother, and throw in near-future Tokyo. Set off a monster earthquake and watch as they all go from their pre-disaster state to the post-disaster 'new normal'. Lots of shades of 9/11 and Katrina in this one with a healthy dose of TEOTWAWKI realism. The focus on Mirai (a great, very human character) firmly anchors the disaster on a human scale. While Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 isn't the most fun series of the season, it's an impressive show and a nice change of pace from the usual fare.

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #2,629 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Ive just seen Neon Genesis Evangelions first remake movie for the series: Evangelion: You are (not) Alone. Its pretty darn good. Id say that its potentially even better than the original series. Granted, this being a series of movies that act as remake to the original TV series, I will need to see all of them to pass proper judgment, but this installment is exquisite. They cut out most of the series that could stand to be cut while leaving all the necessary meat. There is only one scene that wasnt present that I wish it would have had but it was more of a special effect from the original series (the scene with the third angel and how the first shot went in the original series). What I did like was that the movie confirmed many of the theories I had had regarding the original TV series. Considering the complexity and incomplete presentation of the story line from the original series, this is quite a feat. I did NOT expect that ending though to this, the first movie. I wont say what it is, but its quite interesting and will likely have me theorizing further.

Yeah, I have seen some of the Evangelion remake, and so far it seems to be very good. Things that can be cutted away were cutted away and core is left alone, perhaps even enhanced here and there.

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #2,630 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bakemonogatari: Talkative supernatural harem detective show with a very genre-savvy cast. Of note, it features the most interesting female character of the year so far (Senjougahara). Funny, sexy, smart, and, oh yeah, extremely violent. Too bad there's a distinct lack of her towards the end of the season. Animation is a bit... odd. Quality is good. Quantity? Not so much, but hey, it's SHAFT. Still, Bakemonogatari is mostly solid and very enjoyable. Senjougahara fascination does cover quite a few sins.

I'm glad I'm not the only one singing the praises of Bakemonogatari. If it wasn't for this show, I'd probably be a lot more annoyed about Haruhi.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 26, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #2,631 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New season of Haruhi is pretty awesome.

it's $hit!

it looks nothing like the 2006 version, animation looks like a carbon copy of K-ON.

that franchise is nothing but anime exploitation

its fans have been trolled for 2 years

technically there's only 5 new episodes
7 of them are just filler...

No way in hell that japs will line up and buy FOUR Endless Eight DVDs!

Sep 26, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #2,633 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Ive just seen Neon Genesis Evangelions first remake movie for the series: Evangelion: You are (not) Alone. Its pretty darn good. Id say that its potentially even better than the original series...

The movie(s) is promising so far for the franchise...

It's all good but it drives me nuts when people elevate this franchise to god-like status! It also drives me nuts when some company would release whack ass figurines like a 2-piece swimsuit, house maid, gothic lolita, and even a freakin mermaid rendition of Rei Ayanami... w-t-f is that!? It's all good for the business because otakus would but it anyway... but it still drives me nuts!

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #2,635 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed about everything, but I think they took it a bit too far with the Nadeko Snake episode. Employing scarce use of animation and a screen-full of letters or static images to fill in can pass as unique style of Shinbo Akiyuki, but most would still expect some sort of movement (animation) in parts where absolutely required. It just felt real awkward when voice acting and sound effects suggest there is a lot of physical stuff going on, yet all you get is a static image for one whole half minute or so - quite a departure from the earlier episodes. People are speculating they just spread themselves too thin with two highly anticipated animes in the same season. Still, I wish the show were 2-kuru
frown.gif

Oh, and in my case it would be Nadeko fascination, rather
wink.gif

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #2,636 of 6,444
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneK
New season of Haruhi is pretty awesome.
it's $hit!

it looks nothing like the 2006 version, animation looks like a carbon copy of K-ON.

that franchise is nothing but anime exploitation

its fans have been trolled for 2 years

technically there's only 5 new episodes
7 of them are just filler...

No way in hell that japs will line up and buy FOUR Endless Eight DVDs!

Those five episodes were good. To be gruff about the animation, you must be thinking k-on's animation was horrible. Me begs to differ. 8 episodes were a bit excessive yeah, but I didn't mind the whole different costume/angle thing. I think the whole thing has a lot to do with what people expect out of the show. For one, I was well aware the novel itself kinda lost its charismatic draw after the first book, so whatever. I still liked the animated version - faithful to the original with extra kicks here and there.

Anime exploitation happens all the time, and I would gladly fall for this one for the almighty danchou-sama!
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #2,638 of 6,444
I refuse to acknowledge that second season.

Koi Kaze is something I've been enjoying recently though. As well as Ef-A Tale of Memories. Need to get started on the second season now. (Even thought the VN is way better.)

Sep 26, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #2,639 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those five episodes were good. To be gruff about the animation, you must be thinking k-on's animation was horrible. Me begs to differ. 8 episodes were a bit excessive yeah, but I didn't mind the whole different costume/angle thing. I think the whole thing has a lot to do with what people expect out of the show. For one, I was well aware the novel itself kinda lost its charismatic draw after the first book, so whatever. I still liked the animated version - faithful to the original with extra kicks here and there.

Anime exploitation happens all the time, and I would gladly fall for this one for the almighty danchou-sama!
tongue.gif

6 episodes! The Sigh Of Haruhi Suzumiya Arc and Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody were IMO excellent additions to a really good first season. I could have lived with the Endless Eight Arc being more like 3 episodes long or at most 4 instead of the 8 that were made, but overall, if you consider just Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, Episodes 1 and 8 of Endless Eight and Episodes 1-5 of the Sigh Of Haruhi Suzumiya, this season was not so bad. Certainly appears that most of the complaints in general about this season being crap end up coming back to the person being pissed off by the 8 episode Endless Eight Arc more than anything else...

@ TheBoss: I must be missing something. Personally, I felt KyoAni put a lot more into the animation for HS-2 than they did into K-On!

Right now, I'm kicking back waiting for Pandora Hearts, Saki and Tears to Tiara to finish being subbed so I can start watching them. Tiding myself over with a bit of old-school Disney cartoons, but at the same time, at my sister's request, I'm watching Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro and Earth Girl Arjuna. Haven't started EGA yet but I'm about 8 episodes into MTNN right now, and I'm a bit bored of the whole 'Mystery of the Week' pattern that is following. Hopefully, things get more interesting in the 2nd half.

I had started e.f. A Tale of Memories and e.f. A Tale of Melodies a bit back, but I lost motivation back then and haven't watched since...Must get back to them to finish them.

Anyone have any comments about Shikabahime Aka and Shikabahime Kuro? I've been looking at them, and might get into them once Kuro is finished being subbed.

Sep 26, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #2,640 of 6,444
Macross, it's great IMHO. I had never bothered to watch it even though I have fond memories of seeing Robotech when I was a kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back