Antelope Zodiac or Burson HA-160D
Jan 12, 2012 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

preproman

Headphoneus Supremus
Has these two been comparied [size=x-small][size=x-small]with each other?  Need to know which one will works well with T1's, HD650's and D7000.[/size][/size]

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #2 of 6
I owned both at the same time for about three weeks.  While working, I liked the amp section of the Burson better with the HD800's, LCD2's, and the Edition 8's.  The DAC in the antelope is better when used solely as a DAC to another device though.  I had sold my T1 by the time I had The Zodiac, so can't comment on that pairing.  The 600 sounded great out of the Burson though.
If I had the headphones you listed and had to choose one of those devices as an all-in-one, it would be the Burson.

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
I owned both at the same time for about three weeks.  While working, I liked the amp section of the Burson better with the HD800's, LCD2's, and the Edition 8's.  The DAC in the antelope is better when used solely as a DAC to another device though.  I had sold my T1 by the time I had The Zodiac, so can't comment on that pairing.  The 600 sounded great out of the Burson though.
If I had the headphones you listed and had to choose one of those devices as an all-in-one, it would be the Burson.

Thanks Radio Head,

thanks good to know info.  for the Burson I was wondering if should go with the HA-160 + DA-160.  Maybe the DAC section in the separate DA-160 is better than the combo unit.

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 6
Once you're willing to go separates, there are better options.  I would suggest the Burson unit at it's price point as an all-in-one unit, but for the price of a HA-160 (around 500) plus a DA-160 (8-900) you can get better separates.  A Schiit Bifrost+ Headamp GS-1 for example would be a better combo for about the same price.  Again, haven't heard the T1 with any of these amps, and I sold my Markl'd D5000's a couple years back.

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 6
Agree with Radio_Head.

As an all in one the Burson is phenomenal with my LCD2s, especially once you factor in its price performance ratio.

I don't have the Zodiac, nor have I heard it, but I do have a W4S DAC2 and the Burson HA 160D, as a DAC the W4S is well above the Burson. Though it doesn't amp headphones so I can only compare the DAC portion.

If you are looking for an all in wonder, the Burson is hard to beat, but separates will almost always prevail.

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 6
USing the Burson with T1s will be a waste. It is not  a good pairing at all. I have WA2, HA-160D and T1s and they do not sound half as good on the Burson as on the WA2.

Will they sound better on the Zodiac - maybe, but what they really need is an OTL amp. Look at Schiit and Woo Audio stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back