Answers to your Eddie Current questions!
Jun 28, 2004 at 7:26 AM Post #166 of 292
With the HD300 powered on, and no music playing from foobar 2000, I can hear a faint static sound out of the right ear. Its a very low volume, but still something that bothers me a little. Any ideas?

Also, should I put this amp on my UPS(battery backup) along with my pc and monitor? Put another way, would a power outage have a negative effect on the HD300?

Jun 28, 2004 at 12:36 PM Post #167 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
www.vacuumtubes.com or audiogon.com or ebay for tubes.

Ehm, I don't know anything about tubes. What is a good brand/maker? Let me know whats out there from $5-100/tube.

Jun 28, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #168 of 292
I have spent many hours with the amp and I have not heard any sounds that do not belong. I am going to try some different 6sn7 tubes that have been suggested to me by sacd lover.

Jun 28, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #169 of 292
I received a FedEx tracking number Friday evening from Craig. According to fedex.com this morning, It's made it's way from Burbank to LA over the weekend; I'm supposed to receive it on Wednesday.

After this long, I can wait a few more days...

But I've got the spot cleaned off on my desk and the cables ready to plug it right in...

Jun 28, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #170 of 292
Mine is scheduled for delivery on Thursday, I can't wait
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #171 of 292
Craig recieved my money order today. Maybe it will ship tomorrow.
rolleyes.gif
600smile.gif
However it does have some tall boots to fill when it gets here. The "Ear+ Extream" is the best sounding amp I have ever heard in thirty-eight years of headphone listening. Review forthcoming.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Jun 29, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #174 of 292
I don't mind giving an initial impression when i get it. However Tyrion and sacdLover did give the first impressions.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
I am very sorry that this amp is being ignored so. Both here and with the Florida meet thread. It is to our benefit to have amp making/selling competition for it keeps the prices competitive and the inventiveness and creativity high. We benefit from all of that greatly. The least we can do is give the amp makers/sellers some exposure so the can see there need for improvement or to celebrate there sucesses. We are also helping each other by being each others eyes and ears, to a point.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jun 29, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #175 of 292
The box is sitting right next to my desk...Smaller than I thought.

I'll get it out and plugged in as soon as I can.

Heaven forbid that I get a little work done while I'm actually at work.

I will post initial impressions as soon as I can...

Jun 29, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #176 of 292
Cool beans. I can't wait. Thanks.
icon10.gif
600smile.gif

Jun 29, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #177 of 292
I think what happened at the Florida meet was that with all the Singlepower amps in attendance, including the Maestro and Mikhail, some of the other amps got lost. There were some positive comments about the amp by agile one. Frankly, I spent spent much of my time comparing the hd300 to the ppx3's and mpx3's. Even that was not a lot of time due to the nature of the meet and that I got there at 10:30 (not start listening until 11:30) and then had to head back home at about 4:30. Just not enough time for a definitive conclusion.

I will say that I don't believe the ppx3 or mpx3 were better than the hd300. The singlepower amps in some respects have a cleaner sound but this may take away form the musical nature of the am. I would consider the mpx3 would be the contender in my opinion. I am thinking of picking up one to compare once I sell my music hall cdp.

There is no mistaking the hd300 for anything other than a tube amp. With the stock tubes it is a musical amp, which I like. The singlepower amps are excellent but with the stock tubes are less tube sounding. To me they are more comparable to a solid state amp, IMO. I like to hear music. I don't need my music to be detailed or analytical. I want it to be musical. Mikhail did some tube swapping with the ppx and was able to produce a sound that was much closer to the hd300.

I don't believe the ppx or mpx had the bass of the hd300. I don't mean just booming bass sound. I mean nice impactful bass with clear sound. I enjoy a bass, like Victor Wooten plays. He sounds great on the hd300. I am not a bass head but I like well played bass.

Remember, this is all opinion based upon a not near long enough comparison. As I have said before, I am not the best at describing music in terms of highs, mids, lows, detail, warm, etc. I know what I like when I hear it and I like the hd300. The big question for me now is do I like the mpx3 better at all and when I consider the difference in price. Hopefully, we will hear from sacd who owns a ppx regarding his feelings.

Jun 29, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #178 of 292
OK...here's my impressions after a whoppin' 30 minutes (well, 60 now as I write this...no, now 90 minutes...gotta' get back to work) of John Klemmer (Touch) and Diana Krall (All for You).

I only have a Meier Audio Corda HA-1 (the original) to compare it to; I'm not a big amp owner like some of these boys on this board. I own a pair of HD-650 phones as well as an older HD-580. These are being fed CDs through Foobar2000 and an M-Audio Revolution. The Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro you see is strictly for sound-effects and gaming...

First off...the amp came well packed. Double boxed and stuffed full of packing material and each of the two pieces of the amp well swathed in large-cell bubble-wrap. Tubes packaged separately and very well protected. No chance of any accidental breakage while in transit...well, not unless something very heavy happens to land on the box. I regularly receive computer hardware that is better packed, but these servers run in the $50,000-$200,000 range. The HD 300 was very well boxed for a sub-$500 item. I'm well satisfied with the security of the packaging.

Unwrapping it and laying out the parts took only a few minutes. I knew in advance that the power supply was hard-wired to the amp itself, so that was no surprise, but still a disappointment. It made for more hassle unpacking, moving about, placing, and adjusting the amp in it's final resting place. I know a removable cord would add money, but would be worth a few extra bucks in my opinion. However, now that the amp and power supply are in place, I'm sure it's just fine and becomes a moot point.

The power supply is smaller and the amp larger than I imagined, yet everything fits just fine in the location I had pre-planned.

Build quality and appearance are wonderful. I can't believe this amp cost me less than $500 to my door. My one gripe is that the orientation of the two tube sockets is such that the text and labels of the tubes "point" directly at the front of the amp. This is purely esthetical, but I would have preferred not to see the text by having them oriented to the back. Maybe that's just me...I do love the bulbous shape of the 6AS7G, though... I've already had two co-workers drop by and ask, "What the hell is that!?!?" Good conversation-starter.

I disconnected the input to my existing Corda amp and plugged it right into input 1 of the HD 300, then used a pair of RCA cables to run out of the Tape-outs of the HD 300 to the Corda on a temporary basis to allow me to easily compare the two amps by matching volume and then switching the phones from one to the other.

Right off, I recognized the "tube sound" I've heard many of you describe. The sound from the HD 300 is warmer and more full than from the HA-1. I noticed it right off in Klemmer's tenor sax riffs (which I have been listening to for over 20 years, first on LP then CD). I was surprised at the greater mid-base (well just not mid-bass--it's really all the bass) presence of the HD 300 over the HA-1. I have a greater sense of "being-there." Highs are a little less sharp then the HA-1...more like I remember from my LP-listening days. It's definitely less digital-sounding. At first, I didn't like that. The HA-1 sounded so much more "crisp" in several of the Klemmer tunes where the drummer is just sitting on that ride cymbal. But after some time with the highs of the HA-1, my ears grow tired. The HD 300 doesn't have that effect. Additionally, the HD 300 produces the same volume of sound as the HA-1 at a much lower dial position. I have the HD 300 set at about 10 o'clock, but the HA-1 at 1 o'clock. I judge that to be more headroom...

As for Diana...all I can say is that I've always loved her voice. But the experience of hearing that voice on the HD 300 makes me want to reach right through the headphone cables and get to know her a whole lot better...RIGHT NOW...if you know what I mean... What more can I say. Now I understand why some folks turn into stalkers.

The HA-1 is a decent amp, especially for the price I paid ($199), but it's just not the same as the HD 300 tube sound...

I'm sure much of what I hear is more the difference between solid-state and tube amps than an ability to review the HD 300 itself. I'm just not as experienced as many of you.

I'm well satisfied with my purchase. Money well spent. As I spend more time with this, I'll try and write a better review. For now, look to some of the other, more experienced, "phoners" to give you a more analytical write-up.

Jun 29, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #179 of 292
Eurastus, your thoughts, in some ways seem to echo mine. I am going to listen to some Diana Krall tonight and see if I feel the same way. I agree it is a well built amp from my point of view. It is also a nice looking amp. I look forward to hearing more impressions as you continue to listen.

Jun 30, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #180 of 292
I got a FedEx number from Craig today. It should be here July 3...OH BOY.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back