Answers to your Eddie Current questions!
Jun 24, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #151 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
Thanks for the detailed post Sacd Lover and Tyrion. No need for PM, Sacd Lover. AND based on the accounts just posted here; guess WHO bought the last one (HD 300)?? Hummmmm. You know, the one with the minor scratch on it. I can hardly wait.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
600smile.gif

Sweet did you get a good deal on it?

Jun 24, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #152 of 292
$465 plus shipping. It is ready to go and has the caps mod and the better tube.

Jun 24, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #153 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I have been running the amp against the ppx3 straight out of the box for six hours now. The hd 300 is excellent. The bass is BIG. The sound is not as detailed as the ppx3 but has a slight bit more openess. The mids of the ppx3 have more information but the hd 300 is still quite good in that area. The ppx3 has better microdynamics but the macrodynamic bass swings are better with the hd 300. The ppx3 might be slightly warmer with this tube set RCA driver /GE outputs, but the hd 300 has a good amount of tubiness to it. The hd 300, by the way, is using a nos Sylvania 6sn7 gtb and a nos National Union 6as7 and this is a good combo; but the only one I have tried. You cant roll hot tubes with this amp per manual, be careful. I have been listening to White Stripes-Elephant, Nirvana best of cd-r, Keb Mo best of cd-r, cd-r with 14 of my favorite rock tunes and a 15 song blues cd-r. Both these amps are very musical but the ppx3 sounds more neutral. I haven't tried the hd 300 as a pre yet.
wink.gif

spill the beans earl , which one do you prefer if you have to choose only one...............

Jun 24, 2004 at 4:21 PM Post #154 of 292
Quote:

Has anyone else received their amp? I am curious to hear other opinions.

Quote:

I want that comparision between the hd300 and the ppx3!.

Quote:

spill the beans earl , which one do you prefer if you have to choose only one...

A lot of us have been watching this thread with almost as much anxiety as the people who actually have amps coming! However, just like Eddie's customers have had to wait, we ought to be patient and give the happy new owners some time to come to real conclusions.

It wouldn't help to fill the thread with exagerrated claims of "this is the best amp under $XXXX", and it wouldn't help to inaccurately dis the amp if they need 200 hours of break-in to sound their best.

I'm pretty new to hype-fi, but there's an occasional pattern here of over-zealous evangelism of new products, followed several months later by a proportional hatred of those same products by people who bought them and found they didn't live up to the inital hype.

Jun 24, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #155 of 292
Ya gotta point there; to a point.
600smile.gif

Jun 24, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #156 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
A lot of us have been watching this thread with almost as much anxiety as the people who actually have amps coming! However, just like Eddie's customers have had to wait, we ought to be patient and give the happy new owners some time to come to real conclusions.

It wouldn't help to fill the thread with exagerrated claims of "this is the best amp under $XXXX", and it wouldn't help to inaccurately dis the amp if they need 200 hours of break-in to sound their best.
I'm pretty new to hype-fi, but there's an occasional pattern here of over-zealous evangelism of new products, followed several months later by a proportional hatred of those same products by people who bought them and found they didn't live up to the inital hype.

easy on the caffeine ......

just asked a simple question of preference.....

Jun 24, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #157 of 292
I think it's the best amp ever. No, wait it's the worst amp ever and it doesn't need any break in. I am so confused will someone tell me whether I should like it. clarke68? Anyone?

Jun 24, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #158 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I think it's the best amp ever. No, wait it's the worst amp ever and it doesn't need any break in. I am so confused will someone tell me whether I should like it. clarke68? Anyone?

O.K., One more time for you guys that don't know the drill yet......
Buy the amp....
Love the amp....
Hear a better amp....
Sell the first amp....
Buy the second amp....
Repeat process....
It's not rocket science guys.
blink.gif
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2004 at 2:09 AM Post #160 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Buy the amp....
Love the amp....
Hear a better amp....
Sell the first amp....
Buy the second amp....
Repeat process....
blink.gif
wink.gif

Oh, so that's it! Someone ought to turn this into a sticky for us newbs. Thanks!
600smile.gif

Jun 25, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #161 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Buy the amp....
Love the amp....
Hear a better amp....
Sell the first amp....
Buy the second amp....
Repeat process....
blink.gif
wink.gif

That is hilarious!!!!!!! LOL! It's so perfect I put it in my signature, if you don't mind!
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2004 at 9:52 AM Post #162 of 292
Where can I buy better tubes and RCA caps (to keep dust away from those sexy rca jacks on the back)

Also, if anybody around Boston wants to drop in to hear this amp, feel free.

58 manchester rd
brookline, ma 02446
617-232-3257 x2273

hopefully i'll have more tubes soon
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2004 at 4:44 PM Post #163 of 292
More first impressions needed. Apply within.
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
Also, is there any guess as to the ultimate tube settup for the HD300???

Jun 25, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #165 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelesh
Where can I buy better tubes and RCA caps (to keep dust away from those sexy rca jacks on the back)

Also, if anybody around Boston wants to drop in to hear this amp, feel free.

58 manchester rd
brookline, ma 02446
617-232-3257 x2273

hopefully i'll have more tubes soon
biggrin.gif

www.vacuumtubes.com or audiogon.com or ebay for tubes. For the Cardas caps check out either www.amusicdirsct.com or www.audioadvisor.com You can also get some cheapie plastic covers from varies places. Probably even radio shack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back